Subbed up. Interested to see how the chunky perlite works for you. I've done perlite and vermiculite hempy buckets in the past, but couldn't get the roots to reach the res in 5 gallon really (had an okay grow in 3 1/2). They were smaller strains though. Not trying to discourage you in anyway. I've seen nice plants in perlite Hempy Buckets. I went to coco and perlite personally and never looked back. Setup looks awesome! Sending :vibes:.

Yeah, i understand the 5 gallon issue. I changed my plan and went with 2 gallon buckets on advice from another grower. Nice to know you got my Back @CocoHempster .

Sweet!! Good advice. 2 gallon Hempy will be comparable to a 5 gallon soil grow easily once dailed in. I usually run 2 gallon buckets with the 3 1/2 occasionally. If you ever need anything let me know. Well do my best to help. :pass:

I'll try a 5 gallon with coco and perlite one of these days and see how that works with a big auto.

I did [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] pearlite on the bottom just past the rez area and then a mix of [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] and MG pearlite towards the top and at the top its all MG with a Duct tape sized cardboard ring shaped and size of a mix of sphagnum peat and pearlite in the middle for the propagation. Once they break ground i will add hydroton around them to help with light intrusion.

What is your coco pearlite mix ratio?

I did [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] pearlite on the bottom just past the rez area and then a mix of [HASHTAG]#3[/HASHTAG] and MG pearlite towards the top and at the top its all MG with a Duct tape sized cardboard ring shaped and size of a mix of sphagnum peat and pearlite in the middle for the propagation. Once they break ground i will add hydroton around them to help with light intrusion.

What is your coco pearlite mix ratio?

Sounds like a good plan.

I fill the reservoir up with perlite (just past the drain hole) keeps the coco from coming out. Then I do about a 75% (coco) to 25% (perlite) mix the rest of the way up. The last couple inches I do just coco as perlite will float around and annoys me lol. Eventually I'll put a couple more handfuls of coco on top as the coco starts to settle with the first couple heavier waterings.

Nice journal so far. I'm running Hempy as well, 2 gallon buckets with 100% Growstone. Despite some technical issues that have been 100% my fault, it's been going great. My first grow was Hempy style as well, in a 3:1 perlite to vermiculite mix and it did great. I'm glad to see so many others here doing the Hempy Bucket thing. Such a simple system and gives great results. Subbed up to see how yours goes!

I guess you can call me either Old or Forgetful or a true Stoner. Whatever you want is fine. Throughout the Journal you may find that i repeat myself. Just chalk it up to one of the above.
I checked the Hempy Buckets this morning and BINGO! I have a sprout. I misted both pots liberally covered them in dark brown plastic grocery bags and put them back in their warm dark place. Hygrometer within the bucket bag dome said 100% humidity.
The two rapid rooter's inside a black mop bucket showed no signs of sprout-age as of yet either. Light misting brown plastic shopping bag over it and back into warm / dark.
I have come pretty close as to figuring out how to control the climate within the new room. Since i am leaching air from the HVAC system I can either let the pressure of the system push air into my room or i can suck it into the room with my inline Squirrel cage.
I can also suck the HVAC air into the room via the exhaust fan which is speed controlled at the wall.
I can shut the HVAC vent and draw air from the garage "fresh"
Bottom line is i now can pretty much control how hot/cold and to some degree the humidity.The unknown and always a big factor is going to be the influence of the plants. Respiration always raises the humidity.
Thanks for stopping by. Hope you can be part of my journal.
Don't let your meat loaf

Last edited:
Good morning. OK so stay with me cause thing are moving fast. The very first seed to sprout is named Man.The second is Bear the third is Alien. Man is in a Rapid Rooter cut in half Solo hempy bucket. I am practicing for an upcoming competition. Bear and Pig are in 2 galloon hempy's. My two Gold Glues are in Rapid Rooters and are just starting to show have been placed in their 2 gal bubble bucket's They will be named Gold and Glue. All are getting 2 Mls of RX Green grow A&B, 2Mls Cal/Mag and a Sprinkle of Humic acid per gallon. Kelp will also be added when it gets here.
Cindy99 is growing well and stretching and filling out nicely. I am watering her every 3rd day or so unless she shows me reason to feed her early.
The hempy buckets with Bear and Alien have gotten their first initial drench and will receive ph adjusted tap water near her stem daily for the next 4-5 days and then we will see from there.
The bubble buckets will go for a week unless the numbers look good and then maybe 10 days.
Humidity has been low for the South. %50 is the time Gauge throws clear Solo Cups on his seedlings.
Pics as soon as i get done with my coffee and smokes.

No smell, No tell and NO SELL!

Peace

Back