Hecno's on going organics

ya man, making your own from simple source materials is always the way to go. I wished I could do more but I got too much happening.But I dont do any of the stuff I used to do anymore.I just cant maintain doing all that.so,I just keep mostly to myself,but ill add stuff.but I think most dont listen to me anymore anyways. But you guys are doing just fine without me certainly LOL :D

Thats the whole renewal deal Bio Char.you can use it just dont buy it is all. same with Peat for that natter. or anything containing peat really.Some ppl stil relay on it heavily and still use it religiously.that too we need to get away from.

various hardiness from various microbe populations will vary some depending on depth in earth RH and all sorts of thing.but thats a great temp.I personally like more of a 25.5C temp myself not quite 80F though. although 80 isnt terrible if it got an active rhyzospere or however the hell you spell it LOL which help air flow assuming all is on the up n up there should be little if ANY issues honestly with a well laiden soil.some of the best soil I personally used was a touch over a year old.kept indoors for much of the time. but it worked well and was easy to see shifts in feeding and growth characteristics imo.

Nice stuff man as always :)
@Eyes on Fire I still listen to the "old hats" like you! Are you in the US or across the pond?

I was under the impression that Spagnum Peat was a sustainable practice in Canada. I did some research and found that ....yes in the UK where it is used for fuel, peat is over harvested and not sustainable. But in Canada where peat is sold mainly for agriculture it is extremely sustainable.

A key measure of resource sustainability is the rate of harvest to natural ecosystems production. Within Canada, more than 70 million tons of peat accumulate each year. Of this the sphagnum peat moss industry harvests 1.3 million tons. (Source: Canadian Peat Harvesting and the Environment, second edition.)

Here are some facts I pulled up:

Based on this information, the commercial use of sphagnum peat moss by the Canadian horticultural peat industry does not represent overharvesting. While Canada has 25 percent of the world's peatlands, the United Kingdom has only one quarter of one percent. The Canadian peat industry has as its policy to ensure that peatlands are conserved.
The total Canadian peat harvesting area used during the past 70 years is 42,000 acres. This equates to less than 1 acre in 6,000 being harvested. Remember that is 42000 acres TOTAL.

I am not trying to start a fight...I do enjoy friendly discussion. I respect you and do not want to ruin @hecno 's chill vibe that he has going! [emoji111]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LOL yeah in certain parts of the world like canada , you have a lot of imports and that one place cant sustain all of the US and canadas Peat biz. and any other importing they do. LOADS of ppl say use Peat and so forth.I agree with what your saying but in the larger scope its purely imo of course unsustainable the world over. canadian peat moss is big biz and when harvested say X tons the year and more next how quickly do you think it grows or decomposes into a usable source in a natural habitat..? a long long time.not there are other sources but those can be used in certain frameworks certainly on paper. but again ,I think its just not a practical practice is all.

LOL yeah in certain parts of the world like canada , you have a lot of imports and that one place cant sustain all of the US and canadas Peat biz. and any other importing they do. LOADS of ppl say use Peat and so forth.I agree with what your saying but in the larger scope its purely imo of course unsustainable the world over. canadian peat moss is big biz and when harvested say X tons the year and more next how quickly do you think it grows or decomposes into a usable source in a natural habitat..? a long long time.not there are other sources but those can be used in certain frameworks certainly on paper. but again ,I think its just not a practical practice is all.

Personally, after talking to some older gardener friends from the UK, I would like to move to a solid leaf mold mixture. This would take minimum amounts of peat. I think I could use this as a solid base. Plus I have read that EWC made with leaf mold is killer. Only problem is I only have a small pile (leaves) going from last year and it takes a dump truck load to make 5 gallons of finished leaf mold. This year I have a plan to rake some friends lawns for their leaves. :woohoo1:

oh yeah bro,leaf Mold IS the way man. it takes like a year or close to it for a real batch to cook and break down enough. but its hands down the best.or in a combo with something at the very least. thats the only one I would like to use but takes forever to make right. I know a few ppl here that have done this.I have only made a partial batch.was nice but I just added the partially completed mix to some rooster and steer manure with some bokashi.

oh yeah bro,leaf Mold IS the way man. it takes like a year or close to it for a real batch to cook and break down enough. but its hands down the best.or in a combo with something at the very least. thats the only one I would like to use but takes forever to make right. I know a few ppl here that have done this.I have only made a partial batch.was nice but I just added the partially completed mix to some rooster and steer manure with some bokashi.

Have this master plan of mixing 50/50 or so of my chicken/horse manure compost mix with leaf mold in a 100 gallon smart pot. Mix in some aeration, kelp meal, rock dust, and maybe some neem or something. Then I would add Blumats and worms. Let sit for six months to a year.

Well , well, well , guys we are on the same page here , Tommy me mate . I am doing that now , I am lucky as I am able to get free wood chip and large areas of mowed grass , plus a mate has chickens and ducks and has way more waste from them than he can use . I also have plenty of room in my yard to have piles composting away , also horse manure when I need it . I think I have said it before , my native soil is mostly rock and I am on a slope , so I have to make my own soil - I think the one thing to remember is time frame [ takes a while to break down ] as you guys know , so I am slowly building up piles , with my veg batch I am aiming to expand it every year . With what soil I am growing my veg in now I am seeing a big number of worms in it that I never put there , I am also staring to see the value of wood chip , I will soon start another pile with Chicken manure added to help break it down a bit faster , it will also get a full wet season on it . and all my piles are directly on top of the native soil also I am getting a better understanding of the yearly cycles and the effect on the piles as in the microbes and fungi interaction . I really enjoy this side of growing . :thumbsup:

dude,if you have chickens and ducks,pigs and the like.Like actual livestock ,dude,thats a PRIME time to possibly study Korean Natural farming practices .amazing what it can do for livestock pens too.have you loked much into that yet? its would really help your pals from cleaning to less smell the whole shebang broham LOL

dude,if you have chickens and ducks,pigs and the like.Like actual livestock ,dude,thats a PRIME time to possibly study Korean Natural farming practices .amazing what it can do for livestock pens too.have you loked much into that yet? its would really help your pals from cleaning to less smell the whole shebang broham LOL

It is nice to have a compost starting factory in the backyard. LOL I am not finished yet but started this book a while back. It is a great book, it just got put on the back burner until life clears out. Farmers of Forty Centuries. Covers a lot of historical Korean, Japanese, and Chinese agriculture from around the turn of the century. Amazing what they could produce from such small plots of land. And you gotta respect people who do not waste shit...and I mean any shit...including human.

Amazon product

Back