Hecno's on going organics

:headbang: - mate, that BBAK is going to tip the scales nicely! And all chunky nugg's too - :d5:... root ball is amazing as expected!

:rofl: nooooohhh not Mr. Leek! ...Flower that bugger out - :eyebrows:

...love the new 'Rose pics Hec', water color-like painted looks!
Yard shots always nice,... is that a croton I see bursting with color by the shed? :thumbsup:
Cat and hound, taking the day off I see- :zen:

1581917279749.png

Epigeic earthworm species may feed directly on microorganisms or litter material and inhabit the organic layer of soil. They have been shown to strongly affect decomposition processes (Sampedro et al., 2008) and modify the fungal composition of forest soils (McLean et al., 2000). Generally, effects of earthworms on microbial biomass and activity depend on soil conditions (Shaw et al., 1986; Wolters et al., 1992).
Aira et al. (2006) showed that microbial biomass and activity in pig slurry were significantly decreased by transit through the gut of the epigeic species Eudrilus eugeniae. It appears that E. eugeniae is able to digest microorganisms present in pig slurry (Aira et al., 2006). The effects of earthworms on microorganisms depend on the kind of food source and availability and the species of earthworms involved (Flegel et al., 2000; Tiunov et al., 2000). McLean et al. (2006) found that invasive earthworms decreased microbial biomass in surface soils with a high organic carbon content and increased microbial biomass in the underlying mineral soils. Zhang et al. (2000) found that large numbers of the anecic earthworm Metaphire guillelmi decreased microbial biomass C, N and P after 24 h, thereby concluding that earthworms used microorganisms as a secondary food source.
An attempt to distinguish between nutrient-enrichment processes associated with the OM incorporation and gut-associated processes associated with the passage of soil and OM through the gut of Lumbricus terrestris was made by Devliegher et al. (1997). They concluded that nutrient-enrichment processes but not gut associated processes were responsible for the increased microbial biomass and activity reported in the presence of L. terrestris. Meanwhile, endogeic earthworms can transport fresh organic detritus from the soil surface into burrows while mixing it with mineral soil. In the case of tropical endogeic species, it has been demonstrated that the addition of water and readily assimilable intestinal mucus to the ingested soil rapidly stimulates microbial activity. In the second half of the earthworm gut, the mucus will have been almost entirely metabolized and the microorganisms start to degrade the SOM into assimilable OM. This form of OM is then used by both the worms and the microorganisms. Furthermore, the interactions between earthworms and microorganisms occur at several spatial scales in the drilosphere (Brown et al., 2004). The drilosphere concept (Figure 1) was developed by Bouché (1972), originally to describe the 2-mm-thick zone around the earthworm burrow walls. Lavelle (1997) completed the meaning of drilosphere by including earthworm communities, the digestive tract content, and all microbial and invertebrate populations. Up to 60% of the C losses from earthworms during their life span can be in the form of mucus secretion, and this soluble organic carbon is an important microbial stimulant in the drilosphere (Brown et al., 2004).

Just a small bit that I have been studying . :thumbsup:

G'Day folks hows things , still bloody hot here and waiting for the rain , I have to lay a heap of pavers tomorrow at work sure as hell not looking forward to
that :cuss: On a happier note plant is doing just fine [ Day 45 ] If you have a close look you will see a twin branch growing , Like it when this happens :biggrin:
One thing I am noticing is she is a solid girl , real beefy .
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG

For you @Waira Croton Remember the Paw Paw tree last year , here it is now .
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

fresh eggs :woohoo1:

DSC_0009.JPG

I was hoping to start some tomato plants , but I'll wait till the heat goes away . :hippy:
Hobbes Test Smilies

Attachments

• DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 30
G'Day folks hows things , still bloody hot here and waiting for the rain , I have to lay a heap of pavers tomorrow at work sure as hell not looking forward to
that :cuss: On a happier note plant is doing just fine [ Day 45 ] If you have a close look you will see a twin branch growing , Like it when this happens :biggrin:
One thing I am noticing is she is a solid girl , real beefy . View attachment 1160230View attachment 1160231View attachment 1160232View attachment 1160233View attachment 1160229
For you @Waira Croton Remember the Paw Paw tree last year , here it is now . View attachment 1160235View attachment 1160236View attachment 1160238
fresh eggs :woohoo1:

View attachment 1160241
I was hoping to start some tomato plants , but I'll wait till the heat goes away . :hippy:
Hobbes Test Smilies
Hec's farm of wonders
always delights

has anyone actually seen hec recently?, I'm wondering if his skin is turning green :rofl:

Howdy @trailanimal Very interesting that you have no worms , I would like to look into that and see what takes there place , It would mean micobes do all the work I would think . So come spring there would be a massive explosion of growth . That is what I see in your photos over the years . Our climates are worlds apart -- but the same -- :thumbsup:
1582050692787.png

@invisiblecomplication They are little plastic measuring cups [ 30 ml ] I get them from the chemist [ drug store ]

Back