Indoor Headbudz77 Growz: Skywalker, Top69, SuperLemonHaze & Industrial CBD

:smoking: Hey mates! I think one of our founders, Muddy, wrote a nice piece on flushing vs. cleansing, in the New Growers forum, as a sticky article,... Definition-wise, folks tend to interchange them, even the industry refers to a "flush" period, so small wonder about term confusion! Big picture, it's about making sure the plant has little stored reserves left in it by harvest time. Nutes like N and P, (others too) are taken in whether the plant needs them or not, it's automatic; excess get stored, usually in the fans, roots,... excess N and P especially can foul the smoke if there are lots of reserves still stored by harvest, this is solid fact!,... a good sign that things are clearing out well is your fan leaves getting tapped out-:thumbsup: A plant that looks a bit haggard in the leaves by harvest is something of a plus!
Basically, cleansing refers to a period of time prior to harvest when nothing but water is given, usually about a week... This period depends on how heavily, and what, you've feed.... With organics, no need to at all! Moderate feedings, with regular plain waterings, and some run-off, maybe just a few days,...
Flushing I define as actual heavy pour-though waterings of the medium, typically around 3x the pot volume; this is intended to remove accumulated salts, excess nutes, sometimes to help with badly off-pH,... Heavy/aggressive feeding, use of powerful PK boosters, cases of too much N into bloom... some folks do an actual flush to remove excess, and force the plant to use up internal stores more... In any case, it's about purging the medium, not the plant itself directly! There is no "washing out" or 'rinsing" of the plants internals stores like it was a soapy cloth, nute ions just don't move like that in reverse.. the plant does NOT export such ions from the roots... Flushing takes away the excess in the medium so the plant is forced to tap into internal sources, and use up potential excess stores,... :eek1: there's plenty of arm-flapping controversy about all this, but I'm just painting some broad strokes here! Some question flushing/cleansing at all,... but a hint at truth-- look at many of the feed schedules out there, and they will have a "flush" (cleanse) period that has little to no nutes/supplements used for typically about a week,... If it was all BS, the manufacturers would gladly have you use (synthetic) nutes up to harvest so you use up more product--- $$$...!
I agree, flushing just prior to actual harvest is not a wise thing to do, if for no other reason than the excess water uptake it causes... a flush should be done several days at least before harvest, so those extra stored nutes are consumed,.. watch the fans leaves, they are telling you a story!
The other side of the coin here is about over-starving the plant, too long, too much, and causing sufficient stress that quality declines,... there's truth here too,.. translocating nutrients, those than even can be (this is what mobile/immobile nutrients mean, whether the plant can remove them from established tissues to new growth where it's really needed) is energy intensive, energy not going into buds/terp's/cannabinoids production.... Finding that happy middle ground for the plants, timing it for optimal ripeness as you like, and getting nice "clean" buds with booming terp's, is part of the growing skills forte that only experience can really provide,... :smoker1:

Nothing I can say has not been said in better words here by Waira.

https://www.autoflower.org/threads/4-strains-3rd-grow.58760/

:smoking: Hey mates! I think one of our founders, Muddy, wrote a nice piece on flushing vs. cleansing, in the New Growers forum, as a sticky article,... Definition-wise, folks tend to interchange them, even the industry refers to a "flush" period, so small wonder about term confusion! Big picture, it's about making sure the plant has little stored reserves left in it by harvest time. Nutes like N and P, (others too) are taken in whether the plant needs them or not, it's automatic; excess get stored, usually in the fans, roots,... excess N and P especially can foul the smoke if there are lots of reserves still stored by harvest, this is solid fact!,... a good sign that things are clearing out well is your fan leaves getting tapped out-:thumbsup: A plant that looks a bit haggard in the leaves by harvest is something of a plus!
Basically, cleansing refers to a period of time prior to harvest when nothing but water is given, usually about a week... This period depends on how heavily, and what, you've feed.... With organics, no need to at all! Moderate feedings, with regular plain waterings, and some run-off, maybe just a few days,...
Flushing I define as actual heavy pour-though waterings of the medium, typically around 3x the pot volume; this is intended to remove accumulated salts, excess nutes, sometimes to help with badly off-pH,... Heavy/aggressive feeding, use of powerful PK boosters, cases of too much N into bloom... some folks do an actual flush to remove excess, and force the plant to use up internal stores more... In any case, it's about purging the medium, not the plant itself directly! There is no "washing out" or 'rinsing" of the plants internals stores like it was a soapy cloth, nute ions just don't move like that in reverse.. the plant does NOT export such ions from the roots... Flushing takes away the excess in the medium so the plant is forced to tap into internal sources, and use up potential excess stores,... :eek1: there's plenty of arm-flapping controversy about all this, but I'm just painting some broad strokes here! Some question flushing/cleansing at all,... but a hint at truth-- look at many of the feed schedules out there, and they will have a "flush" (cleanse) period that has little to no nutes/supplements used for typically about a week,... If it was all BS, the manufacturers would gladly have you use (synthetic) nutes up to harvest so you use up more product--- $$$...!
I agree, flushing just prior to actual harvest is not a wise thing to do, if for no other reason than the excess water uptake it causes... a flush should be done several days at least before harvest, so those extra stored nutes are consumed,.. watch the fans leaves, they are telling you a story!
The other side of the coin here is about over-starving the plant, too long, too much, and causing sufficient stress that quality declines,... there's truth here too,.. translocating nutrients, those than even can be (this is what mobile/immobile nutrients mean, whether the plant can remove them from established tissues to new growth where it's really needed) is energy intensive, energy not going into buds/terp's/cannabinoids production.... Finding that happy middle ground for the plants, timing it for optimal ripeness as you like, and getting nice "clean" buds with booming terp's, is part of the growing skills forte that only experience can really provide,... :smoker1:

So... the best you can do here is... run tap water through pot (like 30-40 liters) and then just "fed" with plain water for 7 days. And then chop. Sounds right?
First you remove all food from soil, then you fed with water only so plant eat their stored reserves.

So... the best you can do here is... run tap water through pot (like 30-40 liters) and then just "fed" with plain water for 7 days. And then chop. Sounds right?
First you remove all food from soil, then you fed with water only so plant eat their stored reserves.
That's what I'm currently doing lol thanks @Waira @Headbudz77 for the great advice!

Flushing 30-40 litres of water doesn't remove food from soil. It's usually used to remove built up salts in the soil mid-grow or if there's a problem.

Flushing 30-40 litres of water doesn't remove food from soil. It's usually used to remove built up salts in the soil mid-grow or if there's a problem.

Same thing really, salts are plant food, if you flush it with 50l a pot of 9 liters, there should be nothing left in that medium that was added during the Grow.
Food, nutrients, salts, it's all the same.
If you evaporate Sensi bloom you'll probably end with nutrients in the form of "salts"

>> Kief'-- coco is a little more tricky, because of it's inherent CEC properties,.. never ever use just plain water is a standing rule, though in the last cleanse week it won't FUBAR things as badly as during the rest of the grow,... A cleanse would be wise, but it depends in part on how well you've been moving nute solution through the coco,.. I'm not a coco expert, but I play one here- :rofl:-- I've not grown in it is what I'm saying, but I've had to learn plenty just to help deal with issues relating to it. Coco is more like hydro in some ways; my guru's say 15-20% run-off every time, to keep build ups down,... you're feeding lightly constantly, right? So, the other part depends on how the plant/fans look,... I've seen underfeeding at this stage, and the fans get tapped into hard and heavy by finish, so a few days of just Ca-Mg water, maybe just a little carbo' source for the microbes to help cycle and scavenge before harvest, and let her dry out more than usual,.. other times, more heavy feeds over time, and the fans are looking pretty good considering, then that's a hint that a week-ish of just water/Ca-Mg is fine,... ****.... looking at your plant,... I need pics in normal light, preferably with a flash,.. I can't tell squat with those bud pics! The leaves are looking hardly tapped, and I think I see a lot of white pistils still...? I'm not sure you're there yet,...

>> Konop'-- I'd flush only if feeding has been heavy, right on the edge of nute burn, maybe some actual signs of it too,.. some folks ride the razor on this , feeding until tips burn, then back off a little,.. over time cumulative inputs make the plant take up a lot of nutes and store what it can,... it's not removing all the food, just nute salts and excess that have built up,... nute ions temporarily bind to the soil/soilless particles, so total stripping isn't really possible, and not desirable,... Again, the state of your fan leaves is a hint, but not the whole tale,.. it more complex than that,.. I've seen some plants taken pretty green still, with fully ripe buds, and turned out fine,... strain-to-strain behavior at this stage is variable, but the general trend of faded fans is a good sign things are shutting down properly.... personally, for my outdoor photo' girls, fed a mix of synthetic and organic nutes (mostly during bloom, but some hits with high PK synth.), during cleanse I give molasses or honey water a couple times, and plain water for several days,.. I let then dry out pretty well before actual harvest to lower water content too,... auto's on organic, take when ready, no cleanse, certainly no flush (ever, with organic), otherwise the same as the photo's,... but I don't feed that heavy! I watch day to day signs, plus I am in smaller pots, so I don't want the plant to go nuts with size!

Same thing really, salts are plant food, if you flush it with 50l a pot of 9 liters, there should be nothing left in that medium that was added during the Grow.
Food, nutrients, salts, it's all the same.
If you evaporate Sensi bloom you'll probably end with nutrients in the form of "salts"

Not true dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started a shuffle.. :pass:

I think its best let everybody do like they think its best, i can tell you that with 2weeks only water i get very smokeable buds when they dry, at lest this grow, no chlorofil no nothing.. IF I DO CURE right I think it will be connoseuer weed..

Not true dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when you refer to salts what do your refer too?
Or not true, flushing does not remove most salts in the medium?
Or nothing is true, I'm often wrong, Waira corrected me just before in many points, but what I don't like is to stay wrong.

Last edited:
Salts are in the soil/medium. Deposits like on the lid of the bottle. Can be washed out.

From what I understand, nutrients in a form useable to the plant, are chemically "bound" to the roots and flushing will not remove.

I'm also often wrong so take with a pinch of salt mate! I would say on balance I am probably wrong more often than right lol. But trying to learn.

Back