Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

Ok folks, I was hoping to have your opinions on the following & give a little clarity.

For years I have been making hash I storing it in my freezer, for fear of quite a serious loss in potency over a short period of time. But when people are making temple balls, they store them to cure for longer than 1+ years. Would there not be a reduction in potency by the time the cure happens? Why would TB's be different from other forms of hash regarding curing, or am I getting it wrong?

Can you make it basic as well lol. This is a hash thread after all.

Ok folks, I was hoping to have your opinions on the following & give a little clarity.

For years I have been making hash I storing it in my freezer, for fear of quite a serious loss in potency over a short period of time. But when people are making temple balls, they store them to cure for longer than 1+ years. Would there not be a reduction in potency by the time the cure happens? Why would TB's be different from other forms of hash regarding curing, or am I getting it wrong?

why do you think thats theres a reduction in potency ? im sure iv heard/read somewhere that some of the thc is converted to cbd/cbn during the process this would reduce the thc % but i dont think the hash would be less potent so to speak
when storing temple balls your supposed to keep it in a airtight container out of light etc same as bud
im definitely no expert but i dont think freezing would make any difference except preserving volatile terpenes :2cents:

why do you think thats theres a reduction in potency ? im sure iv heard/read somewhere that some of the thc is converted to cbd/cbn during the process this would reduce the thc % but i dont think the hash would be less potent so to speak
when storing temple balls your supposed to keep it in a airtight container out of light etc same as bud
im definitely no expert but i dont think freezing would make any difference except preserving volatile terpenes :2cents:

Although this refers to bud, I supposed that hash would be the same/similar, especially as creating the hash essentially breaks the THC crystal.

Cannabis quality and potency change over time. In the living plant, the precursors of THC and CBD are found in their acid forms, THCa and CBDa. These are not psychotropic. Only when they lose a portion of their molecules do they become active as THC and CBD. This occurs naturally over time and is accelerated in the presence of heat and light, especially ultraviolet light.

Once buds are dried and cured, potency is at its peak. Over time THC gradually degrades to CBN, a far less psychotropic cannabinoid than THC.
Research conducted at the University of Mississippi on low-quality cannabis stored for four years at room temperature (68-72° [20-22° C]) found that the percentage loss of THC was proportional to time in storage, with the greatest loss in the first year. As the THC level declines, the concentration of CBN increases.
years-in-storage-ed-rosenthal.jpg

This research is consistent with the experiences of marijuana users. Marijuana loses potency over time as the psychoactive THC converts to CBN, which induces sleep but not highness. Storing buds in the freezer or refrigerator slows deterioration. Freezing keeps buds fresh longest.

However, even in deep freeze THC deteriorates, at nearly 4% a year. In deep freeze (below 0°F) deterioration slows further. At refrigerator temperatures THC deteriorates at the rate of about 5.4% a year. A freezer is best for long-term storage; a refrigerator is good for protecting terpenes in the short term.

Not totally sure, but clues from what I read. The outside of the temple ball oxidizes through constant rolling over hands... The oxidation helps seal the hash from oxygen and light... it now turns into a small compost pile transforming the tricomb wax & what little plant material there is down... this helps long term storage. I have read the chemical composition actually changes to!?!?!?
Personally for me it’s just an easy way to store it & when I crack one open it’s just a wonderful deliciously odor

Although this refers to bud, I supposed that hash would be the same/similar, especially as creating the hash essentially breaks the THC crystal.

Cannabis quality and potency change over time. In the living plant, the precursors of THC and CBD are found in their acid forms, THCa and CBDa. These are not psychotropic. Only when they lose a portion of their molecules do they become active as THC and CBD. This occurs naturally over time and is accelerated in the presence of heat and light, especially ultraviolet light.

Once buds are dried and cured, potency is at its peak. Over time THC gradually degrades to CBN, a far less psychotropic cannabinoid than THC.
Research conducted at the University of Mississippi on low-quality cannabis stored for four years at room temperature (68-72° [20-22° C]) found that the percentage loss of THC was proportional to time in storage, with the greatest loss in the first year. As the THC level declines, the concentration of CBN increases.
years-in-storage-ed-rosenthal.jpg

This research is consistent with the experiences of marijuana users. Marijuana loses potency over time as the psychoactive THC converts to CBN, which induces sleep but not highness. Storing buds in the freezer or refrigerator slows deterioration. Freezing keeps buds fresh longest.

However, even in deep freeze THC deteriorates, at nearly 4% a year. In deep freeze (below 0°F) deterioration slows further. At refrigerator temperatures THC deteriorates at the rate of about 5.4% a year. A freezer is best for long-term storage; a refrigerator is good for protecting terpenes in the short term.

thanks for sharing that its quite interesting

Not totally sure, but clues from what I read. The outside of the temple ball oxidizes through constant rolling over hands... The oxidation helps seal the hash from oxygen and light... it now turns into a small compost pile transforming the tricomb wax & what little plant material there is down... this helps long term storage. I have read the chemical composition actually changes to!?!?!?
Personally for me it’s just an easy way to store it & when I crack one open it’s just a wonderful deliciously odor
That's what I'm looking forward to doing

I would think that hash would deteriorate more slowly than bud being compacted into a dense form, only the outer layer is exposed to ozone andO2, etc. it's a Cannabis's flower open structure allows air into it,. Vacuum sealing bud is said to greatly extend it's storage life.
I'm willing to bet refrigerated and or frozen hash would last quite a while with little deterioration.

I hear you man. Making hash is cool enough in my book, but Temple Ball is proper artisan sh1t. I suppose the 'crust' is a real protector. After a year of curing I still put mine in the freezer though. It is now part of my 'pension plan', which is fattening nicely.

Back