Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

Used bubble bags & gentle stirring action, frozen herb placed into pre- chilled 5 gallon bucket -water temp was 34.5f, let sit 15 min & 15-20 min more stirring (the ball Wgt I believe was around 5-7 grams)
that’s the size I like.
Made several more this week using dry frozen Sugar leaf shake & marbles “dry sifting”-then keif heated & hot bottle rolled several times & then compressed & rolled in palms to form balls...
Below r pics of homemade Thai sticks
(no no no opium lacing, just rolled preformed rolled bud in graded frozen hash, parchment paper rolled again to form the crust- if I do say myself they turn out nice...(the trick is getting the right size bud about 5” long off a fresh plant...only dry two days & then rolled to form it the rolled in the hash) Since the herb is still drying/curing need to be careful to roll it up in parchment with wire wrapped around it (pic) & put it vertically in a dry warm spot for 6-7 days for curing (keep in mind I use small narrow buds only about 21/2-3 grams Wgt. so they dry cure faster). Now they get put into mason jars for more curing-several months open jar now & then. If cured right when u crack off a piece it is homogenized !!!

That is top work mate, very nice indeed. When you go to crack it open be sure to up some pics here as well. I might even give that a go myself at some point.

That is top work mate, very nice indeed. When you go to crack it open be sure to up some pics here as well. I might even give that a go myself at some point.
I’ll be cracking open both a Thai stick & older Temple Ball tonight...

Attachments

• 24564893-3640-4BCE-A314-2CEA127AF751.jpeg
    24564893-3640-4BCE-A314-2CEA127AF751.jpeg
    940.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 365D06C5-5F9D-46EB-9264-C29FE6E2C93D.jpeg
    365D06C5-5F9D-46EB-9264-C29FE6E2C93D.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 63
  • F2AB256E-16FE-4931-8299-F2D235B18039.jpeg
    F2AB256E-16FE-4931-8299-F2D235B18039.jpeg
    766.8 KB · Views: 66
  • C4117A2C-9C91-4D12-AA35-E597CFA42714.jpeg
    C4117A2C-9C91-4D12-AA35-E597CFA42714.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
!!!CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT INCOMING !!!
i will say to anyone using dry ice to make hash look at the final product under a loupe/scope you will see a ton of plant matter in your sift
yesssss if you only shake it abit then you wont have much but in MY OPINION its not the right way to go about making good hash more like making old school Moroccan hash which is fine and does the job but it just rubs me the wrong way unless your planning on cleaning it further with screens then bubble hash and dry sifting are the way to get true melty hash :2cents: :smokeit:

They look the part. Wish i could get dry ice here & use some.
Dry ice is great, but freezing & short duration shaking works well-160u bag (as u probably know)...I just make sure the herb is very dry and I gently crumple it up...I don’t worry about getting it all because the balance is extracted into hash oil !
Last week I did this & then took the gold keif & soaked it in purified H2O
Then Strained thru 125u bag (keif size over 125u went to my one hitter), the 125u & smaller was dried on 25u screen on top of bud drying screen rack (Sometime I just put the screen on top of a paper towel on a warm spot for three days)...
OK so what ? ! ...Now I made hash body warmed & cold rolled (room temp) by placing keif in parchment & placed around pants waist line for 1 hr or so & rolled & rolled & rolled, u want the keif rolled as flat as paper, so body reheat one more time & rolled again,
Then I form it into a log shape, place in palms & let the compression & palm rolling begin—until she shines “I See The Light”
Why did I do this —((Negative Pore Porosity binds the Trichomes when they dry out & by using 125u keif it melts/rolls to a paste great for Temple balls. “This was an experiment I did in place of making frozen bubble keif/hash” quite honestly it’s much easier I have found.
Porosity
Porosity or void fraction is a measure of the void (i.e. "empty") spaces in a material,
((The material in this case is Keif, It’s the reason that that Bubble keif dries so hard))

Excellent thread, can't believe I only saw it today.
I have a bit of a dream of making my own Afghan hash like the stuff we got in to 80's and reading through this today is really giving me hope that I'll be able to do just that within the next year or so :smoking:

i will say to anyone using dry ice to make hash look at the final product under a loupe/scope you will see a ton of plant matter in your sift
yesssss if you only shake it abit then you wont have much but in MY OPINION its not the right way to go about making good hash more like making old school Moroccan hash which is fine and does the job but it just rubs me the wrong way unless your planning on cleaning it further with screens then bubble hash and dry sifting are the way to get true melty hash :2cents: :smokeit:
Isn't that what the micron screen is supposed to prevent? I agree over agitation with dry ice will pulverize whatever you're sifting. Will it make it small enough to pass through a 120 or 90 micron screen? I haven't scoped my most recent run, but under my phone camera it looks pretty good. Color is nice and light as well, especially for the material having been dried and kept in a freezer for a few weeks oxidzing.

Isn't that what the micron screen is supposed to prevent? I agree over agitation with dry ice will pulverize whatever you're sifting. Will it make it small enough to pass through a 120 or 90 micron screen? I haven't scoped my most recent run, but under my phone camera it looks pretty good. Color is nice and light as well, especially for the material having been dried and kept in a freezer for a few weeks oxidzing.
it can be done to a good quality no doubt about it but 30sec too long shaking and you will have have bits of plant matter and all the cystolith hairs which break up due to the very low temps you dont get that with bubble hash or dry sifting when done correctly the difference will only be noticed by people who have a keen interest in hash or hash makers trying to make the best quality they can for the people just making kief because why the hell not then it not something to even think about

Last edited:
it can be done to a good quality no doubt about it but 30sec too long shaking and you will have have bits of plant matter and all the cystolith hairs which break up due to the very low temps you dont get that with bubble hash or dry sifting when done correctly the difference will only be noticed by people who have a keen interest in hash or hash makers trying to make the best quality they can for the people just making kief because why the hell not then it not something to even think about
Pretty much agree with your comments, it’s just a matter of how much time and method you want to use, not to mention 120 µm and lower screen use, (I’ve only made one run using 80 µm dry sift and yes it was pretty much 99% pure what I could see !) & very potent.:dizzy:
For me personally I use a 160u screen & short shake duration, 2nd shake after that I start seeing plant matter 5-10 to 15% & more depending on how long I shake it for.
((For those of u that don’t know, the Trichombs size range best I can remember is between 25u—to—160u))

(Good comments From everyone, I try to learn something new every week.)
:thanks:

I don't mind a bit of plant material from dry ice. Sure, the kief that collects in the bottom of my grinder is better but the dry ice process is just faster and easier when I am processing a couple pounds of frosty trim.

I've only done ice and water hash twice in a bucket and didn't have the patience in the process and I didn't like collecting the result from a wet mass in the bottom of the bags. I had planned on buying one of those washing machines but then the China Virus happened this year.

I'd like a setup for dry sift but arthritis in both hands might make it uncomfortable for me.

Back