Outdoor Growing Oak trees with Watermelons in Michigan

Its all about being prepared my friend. I will start preparations for next years grow as soon as this one is done.I tried to find mold and pest resistant strains for this year being my first year with ordering seeds and not using my own regular seeds. I plan on running some sweet seeds fast versions next year that should finish up in mid september instead of mid october and try to research more extensively for better strains to run with the weather. Ill probably start the plants in January instead of February this year to add some extra veg to their life to compensate for the faster flower. If your weather is crappy and mine is look for plants that have long internode distances and a open plant structure. My pm is coming from trees that were just way to full and the air flow wasn't good enough I don't think the weather really would hurt if they were just not as thick and full.

My photo seeds were all freebies this year, I just planted them to see if they would mature as far North as I am. I found one seed reseller in the states that advertises a couple strains that reportedly finish in mid-September to try next year. Next time I will defoliate before I get rain non-stop. I just got back in from checking the plant and see no new pm and no bud rot anywhere today. It is supposed to be sunny and no rain starting Monday. I'm going to keep a close eye on it this week. I just cut a small top bud off that was surrounded by huge buds, I'm going to check it out under my scope to determine when to cut 6 huge top buds off the plant and then let the bottom ones go as long as I can to fatten up.

If you find some early finishers from a US seller I'd like to know.

I found @Hella Dank Seed Co. a us seed bank that has a very nice selection of the sweet seeds photo fast versions Im looking to try out for next years grow. They have quite a variety of seed breeders to check out and have been very good fast and discreet in delivery!

Sweet's Green Poison, and Cheese fast versions were good performers for me last year. They weren't as fast for me here as advertised but they should do it where you are and the smoke is good:thumbsup:

I found @Hella Dank Seed Co. a us seed bank that has a very nice selection of the sweet seeds photo fast versions Im looking to try out for next years grow. They have quite a variety of seed breeders to check out and have been very good fast and discreet in delivery!
I've ordered Fastbuds Autos from them three times. Sooregonseeds has a section for fast blooming strains.

I cut the bud up I harvested from the top of my plant and looked at individual calyxes within the bud with my pocket microscope. Most of the trichomes from the couple of calyx I checked were cloudy with a small number amber so I should be able to cut the top buds off any time this week and leave the lower smaller buds to fatten up. Even most of the smaller buds are large compared to most I have grown on autos this Summer.

I have seen posts from others stating they harvest when they first see amber trichomes on their plants for a head high instead of waiting for all trichomes to turn cloudy and a large number of amber trichomes.

The clearer the trichs the more uplifting, the cloudier the stonier. That seems to be the general rule. I've been taking them all at almost but not quite all cloudy. I don't need to sleep or sit on the sofa staring, I like cerebral and upbeat highs.

Aw, man how close are you to harvest? Everything I was going to put outside I kept in this year, the PM is pretty insane. If I were in your position I'd be very tempted to cut all the most mature buds and leave the rest to mature. We're getting a spell of better weather coming up, or so they say.

I went out this morning and found another bud with bud rot. Rained again last night, something like 7 days of rain out of 8 days. Got some sun this afternoon. I shook all the water off my plant and went to Family Dollar and picked up two plastic dish pans. Came back and spent about two hours cutting big buds off the plant, trimming them right there and putting them into an H2O2 solution and washing them, once I had a good number soaking in the solution I then put them into the other bin with plain water to rinse.

After cutting and trimming a complete bin full I once again washed them all in fresh H2O2, rinsed again and shook the excess water off. Then took them inside and hung them up in my basement which is cool and set up a box fan and a dehumidifier. I read a bunch of articles and they basically said if you find bud rot, throw away the buds it is on, do the H2O2 wash and dry the weed in a quick method to save the weed and keep an eye on the buds.

I think I harvested about 1/4 lb today, I had cut maybe an oz yesterday. I didn't even harvest 1/3 of what is left on the plant. There are a bunch of ping pong ball sized buds left on it and probably 8 buds the size of my forearm from wrist to elbow.

I may be able to finish tomorrow. I haven't found anymore bud rot as I worked my way up the plant from the bottom. I'm hoping the H2O2 kills any spores on what I harvested. Cutting and trimming up this one plant wears me out with just what I did today but I'm doing it standing right by the plant instead of sitting at a table and washing it right there. Just less mess doing it outside and it was pretty hot this afternoon and muggy.

I've got a gorilla glue auto ready to harvest in a couple days. Two more autos that I don't even care to deal with anymore, I shouldn't have planted so many plants during the Spring and Summer.

I don't envy all the work it will take the OP and others with a dozen or so big photo plants to deal with in cutting and trimming all they will have to do.

I'm thinking of drying all the weed from this plant and running it through bubble bags to make hash. I don't know what else to do with this much quantity. I don't have much use for about two pounds or more of weed. I originally was saving the trimmed sugar leaves for edibles. Now I'm just trimming onto the ground.

Last edited:
You did the right thing for sure. We didn't get that much rain but the RH out there is really spreading that mildew around. I've had a couple fires in the fireplace already just to dry out the house. I don't envy anyone with a bunch of photos outdoors around here, it can't be good.

You did the right thing for sure. We didn't get that much rain but the RH out there is really spreading that mildew around. I've had a couple fires in the fireplace already just to dry out the house. I don't envy anyone with a bunch of photos outdoors around here, it can't be good.
You in the US, Canada or somewhere else?

Back