Once her roots are established and she fills the pot she will start focusing growth upward. Right about now is when you will see her start to jump. Mine always do. Mine just started this week. Their growing inches a day. Before they where slower until I saw roots coming out the bottom of the 3 gallon pots then off to the races. You taking runoff readings? How's her appitite?

Once her roots are established and she fills the pot she will start focusing growth upward. Right about now is when you will see her start to jump. Mine always do. Mine just started this week. Their growing inches a day. Before they where slower until I saw roots coming out the bottom of the 3 gallon pots then off to the races. You taking runoff readings? How's her appitite?
Ya the middle Ghost Toof 1 run off ppm was 750 ph 5.9

Feeding about 350 ppm every 2-3 days. I think with using straight tap water it was around 700-800 ppm going in. So much better with the RO.

Getting about 25% run off using 2 gallons between the 3 of them.

One is sitting by a fan and seems to dry out faster than the other 2. Her run off is less and ppm was around 1000.

Seeing some pre flower showing on the middle. I hope I get a few more days of veg before she starts shooting up.

Ya the middle Ghost Toof 1 run off ppm was 750 ph 5.9

Feeding about 350 ppm every 2-3 days. I think with using straight tap water it was around 700-800 ppm going in. So much better with the RO.

One is sitting by a fan and seems to dry out faster than the other 2. Her run off is less and ppm was around 1000.

Seeing some pre flower showing on the middle. I hope I get a few more days of veg before she starts shooting up.
Your run off is 2x the ppm that your feeding her? If so your over feeding. I like to have either half the ppm of my nitrient solution in my runoff. That can lead to buildup issues. If I feed at 500ppm I like to have around 250 ppm in my runoff.

Your run off is 2x the ppm that your feeding her? If so your over feeding. I like to have either half the ppm of my nitrient solution in my runoff. That can lead to buildup issues. If I feed at 500ppm I like to have around 250 ppm in my runoff.
It’s been around that every time. Could it be higher because I didn’t have any run off the first few feedings?

I think with using straight tap water it was around 700-800 ppm going in. So much better with the RO.

wow 700ppm tap water is very hard water,............... same as i have here, and is why i went onto RO, as high calcium carbonate levels in tap water, over the 300ltrs fed, over the 80-100 days, can block the substrate up with un used salts, which can alter the Ph near the end of the grow.............

This is hopw i use my RO, i buffer it with my hard tap water, (Add Back Calcium carbonate Salt), but to a lesser degree............ buffering RO with calcium carbonate, at 250ppm, allows Ph to stabalize when making up nutrients, in addition, calcium is needed in sensibble levels, for normal somatic growth auto ok...........

i recommend you buffer your pre aerated RO @23c, to "250ppm"................... or Ec0.25, it also stabalizes your nutes when in solution............ another boon, is you dont have to use much "Ph Down" at all,..................in fact if you get the alkaline salt buffer right, after you add your acidic nutes, your Ph can be "6.5" and no Ph down needed......

run off allows monitoring, but never leave the plant sitting in stale run off, ever......... you can raise the pot on 40mm supports, the plant cant sit in water.......... from mid flower, to the end of flower drinking will slowly drop of to half or less of normal.......... leaving a plant sitting in water, leads to anerobic bacterial conditions, worse, it produces H202 'Hydrogen sulphide"......................super toxic to roots at 0.1mg/Ltr = avoid it, if you ever get the smell of rotton egg's just after a watering, that the water going in pushing out the hydrogen sulphide........... in those cuircumstances,...................let the plant soil dry right out over 2 days 48hrs lights on...............then flush with highly oxygenated aerated pure RO.................

run off ppm was 750Feeding about 350 ppm

cocco cultivate + perlite product, has no pre nute in it. so the run off at 750ppm when you are feeding 350ppm Qs is that on the "Hanna" scale ??........... as 350ppm is Ec0.7....................that is a good strength nute for feeding, not to strong, just on the bliss point........ your tap water is Ec 1.5 twice the salt you are feeding in total,...................you see how tap water can build up salt and ruin a substrate Ph !!
upload_2019-6-4_16-43-59.jpeg

here is the reason your run off ppm is 750 and your nute "Going In" is 350ppm, i a word, 'Floraclean" this is designed to break down mineral salts in the substrate used,..................in your case cocco is almost 50% calcium based mineral product.....................calcium bound up in cocco fibre is alkaline, so as the floraclean goes in, it is dissolving the alkaline calcium inherent in the coocco fiber....... the floraclean is stripping out the calcium in the cocco........... and raising the ppm of the run off,....up to 750 and will climb further, the more you use the mineral stripper !!................the more floraclean you use the more calcium will be washed out, "Chemically liberated" from the cocco................. for that reason, i dont recommend using a hydroponic cleaner in cocco auto............as later on in the grow, it will lead to Ph issues.......best to all........... ALR

Addendum;
for every Ltrs of RO coming out of the membrane at 3bar, 3.5 to 4.5 Ltrs of tap water is bypassed through the filter system,.......................so every litre produced, 1 litre every 30 minutes.......... up to 4.5 liters of water, 75% are wasted via the 6mm red bypass pipe............. to the waste outlet.......... around 2 bath volume per week, to push up your water bill............. for this reason, if you can, use "Rainwater" run though a 50 micron sack filter, such as a Rosin press, rosin filter bag 80mm x 100mm..............

Accordingly, to filter out black-fly, white-fly, mozi larvae, and debris from water butt................. aerate it, and raise temp to 23c................ mix the RO with tap water no problems, just buffer it the same to 250ppm with "Raw" tap water....... ALR

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-4_16-43-4.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-4_16-43-4.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
wow 700ppm tap water is very hard water,............... same as i have here, and is why i went onto RO, as high calcium carbonate levels in tap water, over the 300ltrs fed, over the 80-100 days, can block the substrate up with un used salts, which can alter the Ph near the end of the grow.............

This is hopw i use my RO, i buffer it with my hard tap water, (Add Back Calcium carbonate Salt), but to a lesser degree............ buffering RO with calcium carbonate, at 250ppm, allows Ph to stabalize when making up nutrients, in addition, calcium is needed in sensibble levels, for normal somatic growth auto ok...........

i recommend you buffer your pre aerated RO @23c, to "250ppm"................... or Ec0.25, it also stabalizes your nutes when in solution............ another boon, is you dont have to use much "Ph Down" at all,..................in fact if you get the alkaline salt buffer right, after you add your acidic nutes, your Ph can be "6.5" and no Ph down needed......

run off allows monitoring, but never leave the plant sitting in stale run off, ever......... you can raise the pot on 40mm supports, the plant cant sit in water.......... from mid flower, to the end of flower drinking will slowly drop of to half or less of normal.......... leaving a plant sitting in water, leads to anerobic bacterial conditions, worse, it produces H202 'Hydrogen sulphide"......................super toxic to roots at 0.1mg/Ltr = avoid it, if you ever get the smell of rotton egg's just after a watering, that the water going in pushing out the hydrogen sulphide........... in those cuircumstances,...................let the plant soil dry right out over 2 days 48hrs lights on...............then flush with highly oxygenated aerated pure RO.................

cocco cultivate + perlite product, has no pre nute in it. so the run off at 750ppm when you are feeding 350ppm Qs is that on the "Hanna" scale ??........... as 350ppm is Ec0.7....................that is a good strength nute for feeding, not to strong, just on the bliss point........ your tap water is Ec 1.5 twice the salt you are feeding in total,...................you see how tap water can build up salt and ruin a substrate Ph !!
View attachment 1067456
here is the reason your run off ppm is 750 and your nute "Going In" is 350ppm, i a word, 'Floraclean" this is designed to break down mineral salts in the substrate used,..................in your case cocco is almost 50% calcium based mineral product.....................calcium bound up in cocco fibre is alkaline, so as the floraclean goes in, it is dissolving the alkaline calcium inherent in the coocco fiber....... the floraclean is stripping out the calcium in the cocco........... and raising the ppm of the run off,....up to 750 and will climb further, the more you use the mineral stripper !!................the more floraclean you use the more calcium will be washed out, "Chemically liberated" from the cocco................. for that reason, i dont recommend using a hydroponic cleaner in cocco auto............as later on in the grow, it will lead to Ph issues.......best to all........... ALR

Addendum;
for every Ltrs of RO coming out of the membrane at 3bar, 3.5 to 4.5 Ltrs of tap water is bypassed through the filter system,.......................so every litre produced, 1 litre every 30 minutes.......... up to 4.5 liters of water, 75% are wasted via the 6mm red bypass pipe............. to the waste outlet.......... around 2 bath volume per week, to push up your water bill............. for this reason, if you can, use "Rainwater" run though a 50 micron sack filter, such as a Rosin press, rosin filter bag 80mm x 100mm..............

Accordingly, to filter out black-fly, white-fly, mozi larvae, and debris from water butt................. aerate it, and raise temp to 23c................ mix the RO with tap water no problems, just buffer it the same to 250ppm with "Raw" tap water....... ALR
Makes sense thanks for the info! I have my fabric pots on stands so they don’t sit in the run off. I water in an old bathroom and let the run off gather in a saucer test it and then drain and onto the next one. I noticed the excess moisture in and around the tent was raising my RH too much during my last grow in flower so I moved my watering spot to an unused bathroom.

I haven’t used any florakleen in this grow. I did notice on my last grow when I would use it the ph levels were wacky.

I think the first 3 feedings I had 0 run off. So what should I do to lower the ppm?

Give it plain water and a light nutrient feed?

I think the first 3 feedings I had 0 run off. So what should I do to lower the ppm?

Give it plain water and a light nutrient feed?

you may have some of the same batch of cocco coir left over auto............... if you have do the same run off test on it you use on the plants................ just to see if there is a lower ppm run off ok..... i doubt it was a zero run off from new cocco auto.............. when new run off ppm is usually elevated somewhat......

your 700ppm run off is including your 350ppm nute...................700 minus 350 = 350ppm is the alkaline salts in the cocco coir coming out, leaching of the cocco, raising the run off ppm by 350ppm.........

you cannot adjust the salts in cocco coir auto.................. it's just the nature of the medium, you can flush and adjust the ppm's in soil, as it is possible to contra Ph flush down in soil,............ ie flush with a lower Ph water, in soil will drop the Ph................... not so in cocco auto.........................if alls well above ground, which it looks to be.......... as i mentioned i have never seen that nice greening up in cocco at the new stage before, usually the higher alkalinity partially locks out the phos at the start of the grow, untill the cocco wains down with multiple washes with feeds etc....

if alls well above ground, but run of has high ppm above nute ppm going in...................dont worry it's just the cocco medium foyables............. as the cocco ages, with luck the background ppm will drop a tad, going into flowering ok......... just keep the medium warm at 23c lights out, and all will be good,................ low, temps, cold temperatures in cocco mediums can throw issues with nute assimilation........... keep it warm continue as you are doing................ keep an "Eye" on your leaf tips,................if you see a 2mm yellowing of the very tipof the leaf,.............back down the nute a bit, as this is the pre cursor to nute burn ok..............best to all ALR

It’s been around that every time. Could it be higher because I didn’t have any run off the first few feedings?
Yea for sure. You should always get at least 10% runoff the reset the media. As long as you have a good perilite ratio dont worry about over watering to much at once. Remember with coco your washing away the leftover nutes the plant didnt eat and replacing them with new fresh ones so the plant can always have what it needs when it needs it. Once you see what their eating ppm wise say 250ppm per day water them with 500ppm nutrient solution once a day. A constant good runoff is essential with drain to waste. And it helps prevent deficencys and toxicity down the road. I do 20% plus runoff every feeding for good measure. You will throw her into nutrient lockout if you aren't carful. For my 3 gallon fabrics I water around half gallon each plant if that helps.

Back