Completed First time growing ever (Hydro) problem diagnosis with plant?

Update,

some of the leaves on the plant are dying from necrosis, but i dont know whats causing this to happen. some other leaves have light green blotches on it as well... here is a picture.

Any input would be very appreciated.

thanks.

117102616_649966208964595_3747954343317259699_n.jpg

That looks like a Phosphorus deficiency. Your plants still look like they are getting too much Nitrogen? Are you adding extra Cal-mag because that can lock-out the Potassium? Too much potassium can lock itself out.

tox-lockout.jpg

That looks like a Phosphorus deficiency. Your plants still look like they are getting too much Nitrogen? Are you adding extra Cal-mag because that can lock-out the Potassium? Too much potassium can lock itself out.

View attachment 1220280

Hello,

Yes I was still adding some cal mag, about 70pmm of it.

Should I not add any more cal mag. So next week when I add 100% bloom nutes, I'll not add any cal mag?

Hello,

Yes I was still adding some cal mag, about 70pmm of it.

Should I not add any more cal mag. So next week when I add 100% bloom nutes, I'll not add any cal mag?
At this point I am just guessing. but do not add any cal mag this week. Are you keeping the reservoir level constantly full? with weekly changes? A fluctuating water level in the reservoir will cause issues like this.

At this point I am just guessing. but do not add any cal mag this week. Are you keeping the reservoir level constantly full? with weekly changes? A fluctuating water level in the reservoir will cause issues like this.

The water level in res is refreshed every two days so i keep on track with that. The plant has gotten worse over the 5 days so i changed all of the water for a fresh one. ppm set to 550 with no cal-mag and using only bloom nutes.

one thing to note also is that my grow area is only 100cm in height and the plant is very close to the lights... which as you can see... its held in place with some rope as i did not have room to hang the lights down...

being this close to lights will be a problem?

116280856_743360379788263_1431344310744271063_n.jpg
116708088_2429925787304665_8914125201409493573_n.jpg
116722472_2819605544961982_6784038637596856724_n.jpg
116901012_3234308483273356_5379889926407569014_n.jpg

The water level in res is refreshed every two days so i keep on track with that. The plant has gotten worse over the 5 days so i changed all of the water for a fresh one. ppm set to 550 with no cal-mag and using only bloom nutes.

one thing to note also is that my grow area is only 100cm in height and the plant is very close to the lights... which as you can see... its held in place with some rope as i did not have room to hang the lights down...

being this close to lights will be a problem?

View attachment 1220762View attachment 1220763View attachment 1220764View attachment 1220765
If it were just the top leaves we could suspect the light but it is on the lower leaves as well. Did you measure the PPM before you changed the res? How much is the water level dropping in two days? Measure the PPM before you add water.

Hardest thing for a new grower to do emotionally and physically is to super crop a plant to keep it out of the lights. The problem is many new growers as well as all of us end up in that situation indoors sooner or later. Have some grafting PARAFFIN TAPE on hand just in case. 6" lower than you think you should, roll the stem crushing the inside 3 x the diameter of the stem in length between your forefinger and your thumb, then bend the branch over at that pinch. Bend to 90° from the stem or horizontal to the light. If you did not get a good enough interior crush the stem can break usually just on the top. If this happens just wrap with the grafting tape and all will be well. You may need to tie down the bent over top as many branches just lift themselves right back up. A great lesson to teach yourself on your first harvest or any harvest for that matter is to practice super cropping on branches you have harvested. You will get a good feel for what it is to crush and bend without the dread of "Killing a Cola".

:vibe:

If it were just the top leaves we could suspect the light but it is on the lower leaves as well. Did you measure the PPM before you changed the res? How much is the water level dropping in two days? Measure the PPM before you add water.

Hardest thing for a new grower to do emotionally and physically is to super crop a plant to keep it out of the lights. The problem is many new growers as well as all of us end up in that situation indoors sooner or later. Have some grafting PARAFFIN TAPE on hand just in case. 6" lower than you think you should, roll the stem crushing the inside 3 x the diameter of the stem in length between your forefinger and your thumb, then bend the branch over at that pinch. Bend to 90° from the stem or horizontal to the light. If you did not get a good enough interior crush the stem can break usually just on the top. If this happens just wrap with the grafting tape and all will be well. You may need to tie down the bent over top as many branches just lift themselves right back up. A great lesson to teach yourself on your first harvest or any harvest for that matter is to practice super cropping on branches you have harvested. You will get a good feel for what it is to crush and bend without the dread of "Killing a Cola".

:vibe:

The ppm before the change was about 650ppm, the plant drinks about 2 liters of water in 2 days.

OKay i will look more into super cropping and maybe watch some videos on it before attempting such thing! :O

Should i prune the plant at all? or did i miss that window? some of the leaves are blocked by other leaves and the deeper leaves arent getting any light..,....

Also, the pH is always droping way way below... this morning it was 4.6. when i made the nutrient solution i made sure it was stable at 5.8 and i still had some water left in there this morning and that same solution is still sitting at 5.8. however... the same solution in the plant bucket seems to keep dropping.. any ideas why? this is probably why the plant is dying. i keep raising the pH with pH up from Dutch Pro. but it keeps dropping im about to go crazy

i now understand the importance of a recirculating dwc as opposed to a regular dwc.... the constant water circulation would put the water solution into equilibrium much quicker.... damn it. i should have bought a bigger tent.

Last edited:
Back