Completed First time growing ever (Hydro) problem diagnosis with plant?

We don't need to agree. We all have different grow styles and experiences. We are just here to share those ideas. In my personal experience the safe range for DWC PH is 5.7 to 6.2.
Once again AFN has kept me up most of the night searching for pH fertigation charts, but there are so many and none seem to agree upon which salt is absorbed best at which pH... I don't like that and prefer a scientific paper of some sorts. At least then there is empirical proof which can't be denied... Below are a couple of those charts which disagree...
11083phnutrcombo2.gif
Picture1_2048x2048.png

Not that I want to start an argument with someone who already helped me out quite a bit. (burning bridges and stuff)
But either you are right, I am right or we are both right... Well it seems that the latter is the case... I come from a background of tomatoes and peppers and assumed pH ranges are the same for every plant. I was wrong and don't mind to admit it. We are all here to learn aren't we.

Here's a quote from a thesis made by Wouter Vanhove (Doctor (PhD) in Applied Biological Sciences)
Just as with soil-based cannabis cultivation, growshops provide fertilizer schedules for hydroponics as well. EC and pH of the nutrient solution are critical factors in cannabis hydroponics and both need to be continuously monitored, particularly in closed hydroponics systems. The pH of the nutrient solution is ideally between 5.2 and 6.3, whereas optimum EC values are in the range of 0.8 and 1 S/m in the vegetative stage, and between 1.2 and 2 S/m in the flowering stage. However, each individual cannabis growth schedule recommends specific optimum pH and EC values for each of the growth cycle.

Regards,

Bob

Hey did anyone mention the net pot should be fuller of pebbles to stop light entry into the res, & check for other light leaks also?
I see you later seem to have filled it up; but on this image, that looks like a big gap between res and pebbles...
The later blotches on page 7 etc. look more like PH surfing or minor root rot (not an expert, but experienced something similar).

i filled the net pot to cover lights when the roots got bigger, i noticed light was leaking in there. and prior to filling with more pebbles i used time kitchen roll paper towels to block out light.

IMO the net pots first inch and a quarter shouldnt have net holes, it should just be straight plastic. Bad design, but its the only net pots that came with the bucket.

@AutoBobje First of all I am not offended by your challenge of my beliefs. It is after all how new ideas become practice. There is so much contradicting and just plain wrong information on the net. Much of what I propose is from personal observation in my 40 plus years of farming, gardening and growing vegatables and cutting flowers on my truck farm along with much research and study. When it comes to the foundation of my current thinking about specifically growing cannabis I am leaning heavily on Harley Smith and his science. I have taken his online Master Growers course. Much of what I recommend here is based in that course. The PH numbers I use are from actually growing and logging many plants at differing PH levels in DWC. I began to see lock-out problems in the plants whenever the The PH fell below 5.6 or above 6.3. in my system. Because the PH in a 5 gallon bucket (which only has about 2.75 gallons of solution when it is full of roots) can change so rapidly for many reasons I suggest the safe numbers at 5.7 to 6.3. The theoretical range has nothing to do with what actually works in the field.This will give peeps a little bit of a buffer zone and more time to keep them from ending up in a bad range. A plant is not going to die from short exposure out of this zone. I have killed an entire grow when a PH pen went bad and my PH ran 4.5 for a week. Keep in mind that I am speaking about what has actually worked for me. Not just research.

I do not grow DWC any longer because it is too hot here (109°F in my back yard yesterday) and I cannot keep the reservoirs cool enough without chilling equipment that I physically cannot fit in my allotted space. But these pictures are from when I did grow DWC.
DSC00185.JPGmoby1.jpgtoppedautos.jpgGC1.jpg

@x00m A little light getting into the reservoir is not a problem. What you do not want is so much light that you start to grow algae. Algae in and of itself is not bad or toxic, what it does is rob you of nutrients that can cause an imbalance and lead to lockouts. Once the plant is a couple of weeks old it will shade the net pot preventing light from getting into the reservoir that way. It turns out that the yellow lids on the containers I used let enough light through that I needed to add some Orca Film to restrict it when I used those reservoirs.

I apologize for hijacking your thread but I hope the information may be useful to you. It is important to realize there are many ways and theories about how to grow cannabis. Find what works for you.

:vibe:

@Mañ'O'Green thx for the patience you've had in educating me. It is well received and again you've put me to reading a wealth of information as Harley Smith has written numerous articles. This will keep me occupied for the foreseeing future. I take my hat off for you sir
:slap:

@AutoBobje First of all I am not offended by your challenge of my beliefs. It is after all how new ideas become practice. There is so much contradicting and just plain wrong information on the net. Much of what I propose is from personal observation in my 40 plus years of farming, gardening and growing vegatables and cutting flowers on my truck farm along with much research and study. When it comes to the foundation of my current thinking about specifically growing cannabis I am leaning heavily on Harley Smith and his science. I have taken his online Master Growers course. Much of what I recommend here is based in that course. The PH numbers I use are from actually growing and logging many plants at differing PH levels in DWC. I began to see lock-out problems in the plants whenever the The PH fell below 5.6 or above 6.3. in my system. Because the PH in a 5 gallon bucket (which only has about 2.75 gallons of solution when it is full of roots) can change so rapidly for many reasons I suggest the safe numbers at 5.7 to 6.3. The theoretical range has nothing to do with what actually works in the field.This will give peeps a little bit of a buffer zone and more time to keep them from ending up in a bad range. A plant is not going to die from short exposure out of this zone. I have killed an entire grow when a PH pen went bad and my PH ran 4.5 for a week. Keep in mind that I am speaking about what has actually worked for me. Not just research.

I do not grow DWC any longer because it is too hot here (109°F in my back yard yesterday) and I cannot keep the reservoirs cool enough without chilling equipment that I physically cannot fit in my allotted space. But these pictures are from when I did grow DWC.
View attachment 1212663View attachment 1212666View attachment 1212668View attachment 1212669

@x00m A little light getting into the reservoir is not a problem. What you do not want is so much light that you start to grow algae. Algae in and of itself is not bad or toxic, what it does is rob you of nutrients that can cause an imbalance and lead to lockouts. Once the plant is a couple of weeks old it will shade the net pot preventing light from getting into the reservoir that way. It turns out that the yellow lids on the containers I used let enough light through that I needed to add some Orca Film to restrict it when I used those reservoirs.

I apologize for hijacking your thread but I hope the information may be useful to you. It is important to realize there are many ways and theories about how to grow cannabis. Find what works for you.

I love seein root balls like that. This is the one from my 1.2ish lb auto extreme pictures a little blurry but you get the idea lol
818D4CCB-98D6-43A6-A7C8-E9D88BF3AFA2.jpeg

@Mañ'O'Green thx for the patience you've had in educating me. It is well received and again you've put me to reading a wealth of information as Harley Smith has written numerous articles. This will keep me occupied for the foreseeing future. I take my hat off for you sir
:slap:
You are welcome and thank you.

I wish I could send him my water report and have him design my nutrient formula. There is a fundamental problem with that because the city has both surface and well sources. I live on the pressure boundary sometimes I get well water and sometimes surface! The PPMs are different one is 80 and the other 140. Oh well!

Very nice thread.
i just fudged my first dwc grow. same as you, i thought i had root rot and threw the plant out. then i decided to try and keep it in dirt.
the jury is still out on that one.
i am glad you are hanging in there. it gives me hope to see you overcome these challenges.
will be starting a new plant soon. best of luck to us both.

Very nice thread.
i just fudged my first dwc grow. same as you, i thought i had root rot and threw the plant out. then i decided to try and keep it in dirt.
the jury is still out on that one.
i am glad you are hanging in there. it gives me hope to see you overcome these challenges.
will be starting a new plant soon. best of luck to us both.

Yeah i was going to throw it out.. but im a pretty patient guy when it comes to anything in this world haha. Only problem i have now is getting a plant sitter because im away for 11 days abroad!

@Mañ'O'Green Loads of good info here, i dont mind the hijack! haha

So,

i will be going abroad on the 16th.. today is the 13th. and this is how my plant looks.

shall i switch to bloom nutes before i head off abroad? what do you think?

108899975_616115089287252_7015286830570677588_n.jpg
109319117_623695804932713_2444481232504683165_n.jpg
109498665_302872954454944_1538996830006279164_n.jpg

Back