New Grower First Time Auto Growing Need Help!

I feel its fine too. Just wanna make sure I did the right things to avoid progression.

Next update will hopefully be with the new COB lights! I'm excited bout them as my journey to procure them was really interesting. Learnt a lot too!

Really wish to thank @BigSm0 although we've not interacted. His posts and explanation on the lights are very enlightening. Just so many good peeps here on AFN...so thankful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you getting some Autocobs or DIY'ing your own? I'm happy with the way the autocobs are doing.
20180226_164217.jpg

Well hopefully now is a good time to say hello than. As you have recently noticed Afn is a special place filled with special and very helpful people. I do what I can to pick up the lighting questions or assistance when I can. Happy it helped, if you are working on a diy and need anything please let me know.

Will do...not DIY cos im a dumb dumb in that department. Just plain old bought some but all thanks to you and your customers for the info and real reviews.

Would have bought from you if i wasn't far as hell from the US to make it feasible. But thats probably my better way of saying i can't afford it...LOL But i HAVE been recommending your products to those who can afford it.

Thanks for stopping by. Really appreciate it! My first thread and already have the patronage of so many AFN superstars! Every post is like an autograph....loving it! Thanks guys and gals....

Are you getting some Autocobs or DIY'ing your own? I'm happy with the way the autocobs are doing. View attachment 870788

Thanks bro....i read a lot of your posts so i know u are more than happy with them. I also know that @Dabber is a huge fan!

Unfortunately, my geographical and financial conditions would not permit me to purchase the famed Autocobs. But i am recommending them ppl i talk to. My way of saying thanks to everyone who posted the great info and reviews.

Thanks bro....i read a lot of your posts so i know u are more than happy with them. I also know that @Dabber is a huge fan!

Unfortunately, my geographical and financial conditions would not permit me to purchase the famed Autocobs. But i am recommending them ppl i talk to. My way of saying thanks to everyone who posted the great info and reviews.

Yep love my AutoCobs from @BigSm0 no better light IMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Can anyone advice me on the following?

When I mix nutrients even at 1/6th of the dosage, PH is 5.6. How do i get it slightly up without PH Up?

I have never watered till runoff for the past 14 days. Only few hundred ml per couple of days. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I never checked soil ph but today when I spiked all the way down minus a little, PH showed 5.0! This cannot be good but the plants are doing great! I'm just worried when the roots go deeper they are gonna suffer. Should I water till runoff with next watering? If so, with or without nutes? For veg, i only got vermicompost tea - package say 1:5 or 1:3 ratio with water, An NPK 5-0.8-0.6 Fish & Seaweed extract. Also got extra worm casts i can use to make some basic tea with mollasses. Can always buy some basic fertilizers if needed.

Pots dry out really slowly. Even with bigger plants that has 5 or 6 nodes and diameter almost as wide as the pot. I don't think I've seen the top center part dry even once. Not sure how to proceed with this. Can i get some help?

Been really busy with work and my part time "Studying". Even stopped taking pictures for a few days now. Did many stupid things and hopefully some good ones. Will make a full update soon but really need help with the above.

P/S: It took a lot of restraint to not list out the other 50 questions i wanted to ask!

Update time @ Day 15. Quite a bit to update.

From my last update till day 12, nothing much happened except for WW2 still stunted. Then on Day 13, I FIMmed 3 plants and the next day, another one. I know i know...Its my first grow and its too risky, causes stress, i wont know what to expect etc...

But i really wanted to experience as much as i can, as this is what I originally planned. I felt overly paranoid during the past 2 weeks and scared to do anything. This was not what I wanted. So after lots of reading and mental picture of me doing the deed, I selected the plants that meets the requirements. At least 4-5 nodes and very healthy. Basically all of them but AAH2 and WW2. Here are pics when the just got FIMmed. I aimed for FIM so that i would get a topping even if i missed.

F4E3F532-0456-4735-982E-C3A4FB377E12.jpeg 20BF941D-8131-44CB-878A-44B8E1501780.jpeg 9FE9C23C-107F-4782-9F8D-9FFBD6241DEC.jpeg B0C91951-D5F1-4F03-B35C-50BF3D6EC19A.jpeg

And after 36 hours...
6774837D-8827-4F4A-9F07-01919808E126.jpeg A9592691-95DB-4746-8919-BBCFA4804112.jpeg 84516878-77BC-414A-9A82-FFA5C7FC436A.jpeg FE13EA3E-A96B-461B-B20B-0D817F3166F0.jpeg

NONE of them were stressed the least bit. All went well, or at least I thought. The next morning, I misted a little too much. Overconfidence but I failed to realize that they are much bigger than before so the water stays on the leaves much longer. Only 1.5 hours from 9.00am to 10.30 and 3 largest plants ended up getting burnt! Different levels of burning but PE1 got the worst of it cos shes the largest. Barely 15 hours since I FIMmed them! This must be disastrous was what I thought. The FIMming didn't get me but the simple negligence did!

Well, i just put them back on fluoros and went to work. Till i came back, they were still not stressed. The badly damaged leaves even started to recover, especially after i helped even them out. I fed them Fish and Seaweed extract to hopefully help with the stress.

Part 2 after i take a bath....

Last edited:
Part 2

Pics of the burn....
3D2F6D06-A375-4DDA-B0E0-4C117C41C254.jpeg D2A7FAD3-0EBA-4FD2-8B4C-E1D9AC22A630.jpeg View attachment 871849 518BAAF0-2C14-423E-8214-C3F3668A3FA6.jpeg
4342ACC3-463D-4FE3-9E8F-C8199E8DFBF7.jpeg
I don't take the best pictures but they were hurt bad. This was the next morning when they had healed a little.

Pics of the plants in pairs early morning Day 15
610AF709-5CE1-493C-ADF9-9D23CB917A5A.jpeg
AAH 1&2

1ACEA0C9-8DEC-4B1F-BB07-C01F6706776E.jpeg
PE 1&2

204DCD3A-43D7-40F9-A163-B82ABB83A076.jpeg
The stunted WW2 and her healthy sister

I watered the stunted one till runoff as a desperate attempt to kickstart her back to life. Looks like gonna damp off anyways. I knew my lights would reach me later in the day so its a good chance to see if the new lights can work any miracles on her?

Came back home, got the lights unboxed and plugged in. Modified the rack to the way i imagined. And got everything done within an hour. Was happy with what I did. Some pics of the girls under their new lights! Wow...the lights are so bright its gonna damage my eyes for sure. Anyone knows what kinda glasses help?

A687C93C-CD98-4363-8C15-D8DBB2B7456C.jpeg 8591AC0C-776D-4288-9179-CE8E6079C4B3.jpeg A9FEE998-4586-40CE-B211-DDDDBDBD7CEC.jpeg 4D640FAE-5AFB-4E15-9536-AF28627BAFF8.jpeg
This setup protects from too strong winds, hopefully makes it cooler in the day and looks amazing on my balcony. For security purposes, not gonna reveal what i did except for its beautiful! Walked around my neighborhood twice to make sure all is cool. All good and perfect.

6 cobs drawing 380W from the meter. All 3500K. I know might be overkill but they are so affordable. If this light can last just half the lifespan of other lights, I'll keep buying them! Or just the chips cos apparently you don't need to solder anything to change them. Not very sure how it works and i hope i don't find out.

My soil spike light intensity meter drops from highest reading to the subsequent lower level at around 100cm. So i decided to start them at around this height so they can slowly grow into higher intensity. Most people recommend 36 inches which is around 90cm. So 100cm to start seems good. If they stretch badly, will consider lowering a wee bit more. We'll just have to see!

I was worried about too much light loss but the optical lens (I was told its the same quality as car headlights glass but higher angle) focuses the light very well. Much lesser light loss than i expected. I did not expect it to help this much. I only wanted them to protect from dust and the likes cos its the outdoors after all. After already seeing dust on the glass after a few hours, I'm glad i made the right call. Will definitely help with lifespan and performance of the lights.

Other than that, its very basic. No on off switch even but power supply is waterproof which i asked for. I did not want any complicated functions cos i believe that just makes it more prone to issues. So less functions, less problems. Don't want no dimming or veg/bloom switches or mixing lots of different LEDs together. Just want the wattage at a good efficiency cos that is all i can understand. If my soil spike rates the lights intensity 1-100cm the same as direct sunlight, I'm not complaining and just pray that they last. So far, running 7 hours cool and quiet.

Looks like i got to buy some PH Up?

I'll closely monitor soil dampness cos they are on new lights. But im not sure what or how to feed them next? If no advice, I'll just get ph up soonest and just mix nutes lightly to feed. Will go with the fish/seaweed and vermicompost tea.

@Dabber Do i need to use Cal Mag or only if deficiency shows?

Last edited:
That wasn't horrible burn as you will be getting new growth. Be careful not to water too much, roots need to search to reach water. Also, cal mag isn't a cure for all deficiencies

Back