Indoor First Grow - starting late

you aint gonna succeed unless you fail.Its part of gardening indoors and out.Ive grown 20 foot tomatoes outdoors to watch em get wiped out before the first fruit ripened.I see alot of good advice on these forums and also some terrible advice.I would up the pot size.I grow in 8 gallon pots when i do soil and still get root bound.If your not getting root bound in a 3 gallon than you aint doing something right thats all it is to it.When you can take a 3 second look at a plant and know something is wrong its best to just learn from your mistakes.My advice would be bigger pot size at least a 5.yeah some guys can grow big plants in 3 gallons but those guys know what they are doing and still will only be able to grow a plant at the size of its root mass.Your not going to get a whole lot of plant with 3 gallons of root.Thats just nature.
I would throw away the PH crap and start with a good soil.Go with roots organics next time or get some fox farms NOW and test the PH.Now is the time you need to be amending your soil for the next grow,If the PH is low add some lime to it and give it a few weeks to work in.Dont go liming soil that you have no idea what the PH is.I can get soil tested at the local farmers co op extension for free.They will tell you exactly what to put in to bring the PH up or down and exactly what levels of NPK are in it.Forget Phing the wate.rIf the soil is good it will work itself out.I personally like general organics GO BOX.I grew some monsters with that stuff just following the feed schedule on the box.it was dead on.i would water skip a day feed skip a day water etc at half strength so the plants were getting a good weekly dose.Add in your calmag in the beginning.about 1ML per gallon first 2 weeks and work up to 3L per gallon.You wont ever have a calcium or mag issue.DO NOT wait for defencies to show up in soil becasue alot of time those are caused by something you didnt do 3 weeks ago and trying to fix it will be a lost cause.With photos you can fix shit before flower.Autos wont wait around.there gonna be ready when there ready..be proactive and not reactive.
Bigger pots,good nute schedule and good drainage and plenty of light.LIGHT is what the plants truly eat.have a light breeze on them and there is no reason why you cant grow 4-8 zips a plant autos.

root bound is a catch 22.Not much you can do except up the pot size.If your feeding them right and the plants are exploding with growth you want them to get as many roots as possible.more roots the more nutrients they can uptake.Airpots will prune the roots and force them to spread out but the downside is they dry out terrible and with fox farm dirt they get dry pockets in them that the water will never reach no matter how slow you water em.I hate air pots and only use them for starting young plants in cause there easy to peel apart and transplant.I had some plants in airpots that did ok but when i got tired of watering them twice a day i moved them to bigger pots and the growth exploded.
Heres some 8 gallon pots i grew autos in.Im root bound in an 8 what you think you are in a 3?
20170206_235108.jpg

20170206_235058.jpg

these arent bad.The grow before this i used the GO BOX nutes i had an inch of roots at the bottom of the pot and roots wrapping all the way around.

root bound is a catch 22.Not much you can do except up the pot size.If your feeding them right and the plants are exploding with growth you want them to get as many roots as possible.more roots the more nutrients they can uptake.Airpots will prune the roots and force them to spread out but the downside is they dry out terrible and with fox farm dirt they get dry pockets in them that the water will never reach no matter how slow you water em.I hate air pots and only use them for starting young plants in cause there easy to peel apart and transplant.I had some plants in airpots that did ok but when i got tired of watering them twice a day i moved them to bigger pots and the growth exploded.
Heres some 8 gallon pots i grew autos in.Im root bound in an 8 what you think you are in a 3?
View attachment 700293
View attachment 700294
these arent bad.The grow before this i used the GO BOX nutes i had an inch of roots at the bottom of the pot and roots wrapping all the way around.
I'm actually happy with the size of my plants because for one I don't have much room height wise and 2 this is just my personal stash. It'd nice to see huge yields yeah, but I wouldn't even know what to do with it all. With that said, I am definitely using some of your advice in my next grow. Lots of good insight. What I'm looking for now though is drying/curing advice. Or outdoor advice I'll take some of that since I'm going outdoors in a few months

I cut mine and put it in brown paper bags. General rule is one day in the bag per 10 humidity. 40% humidity equals 4 days in the bag. Then into jars with boveda packs.
Really really sticky buds may need an extra day. I cut mine down to rather small nugs to reduce the chance of mold.
Make sure to hang the bags or if you cant, i turn them over when on the floor.

I cut mine and put it in brown paper bags. General rule is one day in the bag per 10 humidity. 40% humidity equals 4 days in the bag. Then into jars with boveda packs.
Really really sticky buds may need an extra day. I cut mine down to rather small nugs to reduce the chance of mold.
Make sure to hang the bags or if you cant, i turn them over when on the floor.
Thanks dudeski! Do you do anything with the bags like shake em up daily or anything? Or just leave em?

No shaking, just turn them over. Really wet buds i open the bags and check them. Move the bud around some. But i use a bunch of bags only putting a small amount in each. I had mold once, dont want that again!

No shaking, just turn them over. Really wet buds i open the bags and check them. Move the bud around some. But i use a bunch of bags only putting a small amount in each. I had mold once, dont want that again!
Yeah that would be heartbreaking

Yeah, it is! Its was mephisto skylar white. Probably 14g of budz

I 2nd brown paper bags. Get the thickest kind you can find. Break buds down, no bigger than golf balls. One single layer on bottom of bag. I leave them hanging, undisturbed, for 3 days. You can open it to ogle but no need. After 3 days I consolidate 2 bags because they will shrink by half. Leave a bit of stem on a couple to test moisture. If stem bends...dry more. Snaps...good to go.
I like to jar on the wet side, 70%ish. Then juggle from jars to bag for a few days, especially with low RH. This ensures the slowest finish possible, which is clutch imo. Burp 3× daily, gradually reducing to once a day, for how long depends on moisture content. Once they hit 62% seal her up and burp once a week. It takes me around 2 weeks to hit 62% when done right.

Back