First Grow... gathering parts... look over my stuff

I don't trust that 120W input power number listed on the Amazon page for the Vivosun. The Vivosun page doesn't actually list the electrical wattage. Most COB assemblies I've seen are usually 50-65W each, and that has six of them plus ~80 normal LEDs. It seems more like ~400W+ input power - so, too much light / heat for your space.

The Mars FC-3000 / FCE-3000 (the smallest in those series) both look like they'd be too (physically) big for a 20x36 area. The smaller of the two (FC-3000) is 22.8" x 20.4". But, if you can squeeze that in, I'd probably recommend it.

Overall, 20"x36" is an odd / non-standard size for a grow area - so it may be hard to find a single light that will provide decent coverage for that space. If you look at the PPFD maps for most lights (not the PPFD vs. height diagrams, which only gives the max peak PPFD at the center), then most lights fall off pretty significantly near the edges (so some coverage areas listed by vendors may not be too realistic). Ultimately, your odd size area may be the reason to go for two smaller lights to even out the coverage. If so, two Mars SP-150's side-by-side might be a good setup for you.

My concern would be that my tent is small (50cm x 91cm) 20inches x 36 inches.

I don't trust that 120W input power number listed on the Amazon page for the Vivosun. The Vivosun page doesn't actually list the electrical wattage. Most COB assemblies I've seen are usually 50-65W each, and that has six of them plus ~80 normal LEDs. It seems more like ~400W+ input power - so, too much light / heat for your space.

The Mars FC-3000 / FCE-3000 (the smallest in those series) both look like they'd be too (physically) big for a 20x36 area. The smaller of the two (FC-3000) is 22.8" x 20.4". But, if you can squeeze that in, I'd probably recommend it.

Overall, 20"x36" is an odd / non-standard size for a grow area - so it may be hard to find a single light that will provide decent coverage for that space. If you look at the PPFD maps for most lights (not the PPFD vs. height diagrams, which only gives the max peak PPFD at the center), then most lights fall off pretty significantly near the edges (so some coverage areas listed by vendors may not be too realistic). Ultimately, your odd size area may be the reason to go for two smaller lights to even out the coverage. If so, two Mars SP-150's side-by-side might be a good setup for you.

I think the wall draw is something like 460w. I really hate that LED vendors feel the need to exaggerate that.

This will fit well... so the 2000 series in most lines, something like:
Amazon product

Though my tent is only 20x36 inches, the 4x2 coverage of this light would be perfect, would it not?

Do you think that two 3600k autocobs would provide for veg to bloom lighting?

Last edited:
I bought a bp3000 and bp1500 during the 420 sale i seen on ebay and they both grow great plants so far, i heard maxisun and bloomplus are very similar so that maxisun 200w should be perfect for you if that is what you decided you want

if you haven't got your light yet I would advise you to check out Migrow youtube channel. Spend about an hour going through his content and you will have a good idea what you will want for first light and not f'k it up. He's tested pretty much most relevant lights that you would want to consider at various price points.

I couldn't find a newer list, but this should get your started. You should be looking at something above that 2 ppf/watt range. I think I saw the above mentioned maxisun being tested and it did pretty well for a value light. The new viperspectra's do alight as well. With most of the quality lights using the same samsung LM301-B diodes it's more about what led vendor is having the best sale. Just make sure they are the LM301 B or LM301 H.

par.png

Here's MIGRO's review of the Maxsisun MF2000, which looks to be the same as the PB2000 except with a reflector hood.

I also found growlightinfo.com to be useful (despite it's clickbait name), and here's a decent discussion of quantum boards vs. COB lights. Since your growspace is somewhat short, it sounds like quantum boards would be better for you.

The Maxsisun 2000 series uses LM281 LEDs and not the LM301 LEDs that MesaBoogie recommended. The LM 281s are higher power, but lower efficiency. Because the LM301s are higher efficiency (more light per W), they're generally considered higher quality, which means higher demand, which means more expensive. Not sure you'd find LM301s on any of the budget lights right now - i.e., the cheaper price of the LM281s is what allows them to sell their lights cheaper.

For 2 plants, the extra cost in electricity from the LM281s shouldn't be an issue. The bigger concern would be heat management in your grow space. But, with it being a quantum board (spread out more vs. COBs), larger rated coverage than your actual grow space (less PPFD fall-off at edges of your actual grow area), and dimmable (adjustable power usage) - it may be manageable.

As far as one Maxsisun 2000 vs. two Maxsisun 1000s - you can use a light meter (or the Photone phone app) to adjust height / power / etc to dial-in your actual light levels. Two lights would make that more complicated, and the only reason to go with two lights is for better nominal coverage up-front during initial planning. The Maxsisun 2000 looks like a good fit, though, so I'd go with a single 2000 series in this case.

As far as "is there a better longer-term option out there than the Maxsisun" - yes. Any of the higher quality brands will probably be a bit better in some regard, but more expensive because of that. Overall, I agree with Zeromitch's "start with a budget light, learn what's bad about it, and figure out what to look for in higher quality lights if/when you upgrade for later grows" philosophy.

If you're fine with that approach, I'd still take a look at some of MIGRO's videos and check out some reviews of the light to convince yourself (i.e., to help avoid some of the buyer's remorse that will occur no matter what light you settle on), but I think you have a winner in that Maxsisun light for your first grow.

For $209 you would of spent, i would suggest spending a little more and going with @Marshydro

I think this would be way better than that amazon light you posted but still overkill for a 2x3, if that is what 20x36 is
I think FC3000 is good, tooooo. FC3000 has small size for personal grow,with good quality assurance(Samsung chips) and uniform photon. :d5:

I think FC3000 is good, tooooo. FC3000 has small size for personal grow,with good quality assurance(Samsung chips) and uniform photon. :d5:

I looked into it. But my tent is only 20" wide, and the light is 20.5" wide. Odd sized tent sucks, but it is the best I can do with my space.

Here's MIGRO's review of the Maxsisun MF2000, which looks to be the same as the PB2000 except with a reflector hood.

I also found growlightinfo.com to be useful (despite it's clickbait name), and here's a decent discussion of quantum boards vs. COB lights. Since your growspace is somewhat short, it sounds like quantum boards would be better for you.

The Maxsisun 2000 series uses LM281 LEDs and not the LM301 LEDs that MesaBoogie recommended. The LM 281s are higher power, but lower efficiency. Because the LM301s are higher efficiency (more light per W), they're generally considered higher quality, which means higher demand, which means more expensive. Not sure you'd find LM301s on any of the budget lights right now - i.e., the cheaper price of the LM281s is what allows them to sell their lights cheaper.

For 2 plants, the extra cost in electricity from the LM281s shouldn't be an issue. The bigger concern would be heat management in your grow space. But, with it being a quantum board (spread out more vs. COBs), larger rated coverage than your actual grow space (less PPFD fall-off at edges of your actual grow area), and dimmable (adjustable power usage) - it may be manageable.

As far as one Maxsisun 2000 vs. two Maxsisun 1000s - you can use a light meter (or the Photone phone app) to adjust height / power / etc to dial-in your actual light levels. Two lights would make that more complicated, and the only reason to go with two lights is for better nominal coverage up-front during initial planning. The Maxsisun 2000 looks like a good fit, though, so I'd go with a single 2000 series in this case.

As far as "is there a better longer-term option out there than the Maxsisun" - yes. Any of the higher quality brands will probably be a bit better in some regard, but more expensive because of that. Overall, I agree with Zeromitch's "start with a budget light, learn what's bad about it, and figure out what to look for in higher quality lights if/when you upgrade for later grows" philosophy.

If you're fine with that approach, I'd still take a look at some of MIGRO's videos and check out some reviews of the light to convince yourself (i.e., to help avoid some of the buyer's remorse that will occur no matter what light you settle on), but I think you have a winner in that Maxsisun light for your first grow.

I'm seriously humbled by the effort you have taken to help me out, and for all the sources! I've read about all the issues you posted and armed with that information I'm going to move forward with the upgraded version of that Maxxisun light (MAXSISUN PB2000 Pro). My only regret is that of my tent size, but my oldest is in his last year of school and is planning on moving away... so a room is opening up! But for now I've got my odd sized tent.

Before I move forward, if I might ask, do you think my choice of tent is a good one? Regarding the size, I could put in a 2x2 instead of the odd 20"x36". I was thinking the extra usable space with 12 more inches of length would be more valuable then the square shape that only has 4 more inches width.

I'd stick with the 20" x 36" - you'll be thankful for the extra space when it comes time to add other equipment (humidifiers, circulating fans, filters, etc). A 2' x 2' would be really tight with 2 plants - I'd probably only do that for a single plant.

Make sure you do a grow journal when you start so we can follow along!

Back