New Grower First grow and new to the network...

I appreciate ALL the help I can get. Thanks for answering my question. Very concerned about moisture as it’s pretty dense in there just with bud on bud.

Humidity is relatively easier for closed space growers like yourself to control. Heck, with filters, your plants breathe better air than me!

I noticed you also do DWC which I envy so much cos I cannot do that. Can't use the most wet method of growing in probably one of the wettest climates. Or rather, I lack the guts to try when soil already poses that much problems.

So if you are in the school of thought of NOT defoliating, just keep air flow up and humidity down and you should be fine. If the other way round, just defol away!

Or do one but not the other and see which you like!

Oh and it helps the flow of air and co2 through the plants.
Thanks Tyler. I’ve been very hesitant this late in flower, week 4. Then I watched a YouTube video by nukeheads that said don’t take anything that gets light. But she’s thick like cotton under those leaves and seems damp to me. I dropped the humidity down to 40%, fans on high from below and above. I’ve been defoliating pretty aggressively and I think she grows two more every leaf I take. :doh:

Humidity is relatively easier for closed space growers like yourself to control. Heck, with filters, your plants breathe better air than me!

I noticed you also do DWC which I envy so much cos I cannot do that. Can't use the most wet method of growing in probably one of the wettest climates. Or rather, I lack the guts to try when soil already poses that much problems.

So if you are in the school of thought of NOT defoliating, just keep air flow up and humidity down and you should be fine. If the other way round, just defol away!

Or do one but not the other and see which you like!
I’m thinking I’m going to have to remove leaves. She feels damp to me all up in her nethers. Maybe on a different plant I wouldn’t. Can’t be helped.

I’m thinking I’m going to have to remove leaves. She feels damp to me all up in her nethers. Maybe on a different plant I wouldn’t. Can’t be helped.

I'd like to see how you prefer them after? My guess is you will feel much more comfortable removing leaves in the future and will be part of your routine. Different strains vary so I always prefer reading individual plants and.....wing it! Lol

If I understand correctly, if you got good airflow with no stagnant spots and RH is 40, there should not be any concern of mold or rot unless you wet a badly circulated spot. But its always safer to open them up a little.

The level of attentiveness you give them, they should do great with or without defol.

If it's been a strong resistant plant you should be just fine. Gorilla glue is very strong and takes a lot to hurt them. Your humidity at 40 is perfect for flower.

I'd like to see how you prefer them after? My guess is you will feel much more comfortable removing leaves in the future and will be part of your routine. Different strains vary so I always prefer reading individual plants and.....wing it! Lol

If I understand correctly, if you got good airflow with no stagnant spots and RH is 40, there should not be any concern of mold or rot unless you wet a badly circulated spot. But its always safer to open them up a little.

The level of attentiveness you give them, they should do great with or without defol.
Thanks Equatorial. I eventually felt very comfortable in veg and this is a different ballgame. Fish out of water and all. I just eyeballed your battle plant (again lol) to see what kind of defoliation you went with and it looks like I can do some work on her. She’s 90 days old today and I’ve invested too much time already. I’d really rather possibly lose some yield than risk a mold issue.

Thanks Equatorial. I eventually felt very comfortable in veg and this is a different ballgame. Fish out of water and all. I just eyeballed your battle plant (again lol) to see what kind of defoliation you went with and it looks like I can do some work on her. She’s 90 days old today and I’ve invested too much time already. I’d really rather possibly lose some yield than risk a mold issue.
This is a auto?

I actually defoliated the battle plants lesser compared to my first grow last round. I wanted to see the difference. My very personal observation is that I got bigger and denser buds last round when I defoliated more. Its my own opinion that nothing takes precedence over light on buds, in a controlled manner of course.

I really don't believe you will lose any significant yield. Some might argue that you get more! Reminds me of a quote from SavageGarden (a great grower on afn) where he says he is a bud farmer, not a leaf farmer! LOL and his comment on the leaves, "They'll grow buttloads more!".lol

Back