New Grower First ever grow: RQS AK-47, Northen Lights, Dwarf under 300W LED

To answer some questions:

The seed bank is Royal Queen Seeds. Generally they suggest not using nutes, but instead get a good soil: http://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-why-you-should-not-use-grow-boosters-or-extra-nutrients-n94

When I messaged them with the ingredients of 3-4 different soils that I had access too, they suggested the one I bought. To clarify: They didn't know what seeds I was going to order, I wasn't sure yet. It is also suggested here: http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Soil-Guide#Recommended brands (First one, Compo Sana).

That's why my guess is that the soil is too hot for the vulnerable auto strains, but could be OK for regular cannabis plants. Knowing what I do now, I'd probably just order some better soil, like BioBizz Light Mix.

It is a generic China LED, looks exactly like the ones sold as "Vipar" LED, so my guess is that it's the same. I adjust the height according to advice by Tang (a member here) to be 60-65cm for seedling, 45-60 for veg stage. I started with 4 plants, right now I have 2 left, the Dwarf survived but it's extra small, and another one starting from seed (10 days old now).

I have a fan inside the closet and another one outside, the closet doors are not closed completely, so it should be enough.

Confusing as hell. Who are we to second guess the pros? But we there is a consensus that autos are sensitive to soils with higher nute loads. At the least if we get a low dose or no dose soil we can supplement as we wish. You know the plant supplies enough nutrition to get it started? They recommend Miracle Gro?

I guess they have a point, most beginners tend to overfeed and kill their plants, using a soil that doesn't require you to feed could work. As I learn more, I understand a neutral soil is much better as you say.

Again. they recommeded based on nutrition value, they didn't know what strains I'd buy or what the brand is. As I note in my first post, this soil is essentially NPK at N 300mg/l, P 360mg/l, K 420ml/l. It *should* work for cannabis, but it seems like it only did for one strain. In their defence, especially the Dwarf is one of the smallest cannabis strains available.

I wonder if its the same LED as I have, look very similar but sad that I have to tell you that its 155W ;)

but I am happy to see its working alright for you but could idea to add some CFL bulbs in there also, both cold white and warm white

4x 65W that is fairly easy to find will make wonders for your plants ;)

Hey man, that's weird, I've measured it using a digital meter (the kind that sits at the top of the power outlet and it was around 184-187 watts. (I think the extra watts are the 3 fans). Maybe a different model. Thanks for the info, I've bought 2x75w CFLs at 2700k and I'll use them at the flowering stages, I am waiting for the temperatures to drop, as even with just the LED the temps can go at 28-29C during day (with the lights on).

Here are some images from day 38, Northern Lights first, AK-47 second:

Pot 3.jpgPot 1 b.jpg

I've been using BioBizz Grow and Alg-A-Mic for 2 weeks now, when I complete week 6 I will start feeding flowering nutes. NL seems to be doing great, it grows like a beast, the AK seems to have some trouble but it's health was never top anyway.

Good luck with your grow dude. I wanna see how your grow turns out. I subscribed!!.."Munch..munch..munch

Hey man, that's weird, I've measured it using a digital meter (the kind that sits at the top of the power outlet and it was around 184-187 watts.
<

Damn that is nice, I have not measured mine yet but got told by the seller ... after I bought it that it was 155/165 W

but I like the look of your plants so I hope mine will do also well, I am going to have that LED and then 6x 65W CFL

great journal and going to follow it !

OK, long time no update so I took some photos today. This is now day 46 after the seedlings appeared from the soil.

The order is AK-47, Northern Lights and a detail from Northern lights.

Pot 1.jpgPot 3.jpgPot 3 det.jpg

The plants are now into flowering, the NL seems to be doing really nice, the AK has some troubles, but with some help from the live thread, plus a switch of nutes it seems to be better. The plants seem to be a little short (around 50cm) but I guess it's normal from the strain, indoor and based on the stress they had in the early days.

I am using BioBizz Grow & Bloom for the NL (2:3 ratio) and now the Flora series for the AK (which I bought to use with the DWC).

I've also added a 55w CFL (275W equivalent) at 2700k to help with flowering and get some light at the lower parts of the plants, as they have turned out to be quite wide and the space is limited, so they have to be close to each other.

That's all, wish me luck!

OK, long time no update so I took some photos today. This is now day 46 after the seedlings appeared from the soil.

The order is AK-47, Northern Lights and a detail from Northern lights.

View attachment 392196View attachment 392197View attachment 392198

The plants are now into flowering, the NL seems to be doing really nice, the AK has some troubles, but with some help from the live thread, plus a switch of nutes it seems to be better. The plants seem to be a little short (around 50cm) but I guess it's normal from the strain, indoor and based on the stress they had in the early days.

I am using BioBizz Grow & Bloom for the NL (2:3 ratio) and now the Flora series for the AK (which I bought to use with the DWC).

I've also added a 55w CFL (275W equivalent) at 2700k to help with flowering and get some light at the lower parts of the plants, as they have turned out to be quite wide and the space is limited, so they have to be close to each other.

That's all, wish me luck!

Good Luck!!

Also, just wondering. I too am growing Northern Lights. I'm interested how yours progress. Yours looks pretty good. Could you inform its height here? Mines short and bushy.

The survivors are looking well. Hang in there bro.

Back