New Grower First auto after 22 year break!

Hi Tone, not so much impatient I'm expecting a xmas harvest, more a bit nervous, every other grow I've seen starts budding up as soon as it goes into flower. OK maybe a little bit impatient ;¬) Anyhoo if you reckon it looks normal then that's good enough for me. It's already grown an inch and a half since yesterday. I'll get some good shots up tomorrow. I bought them from the manufacturer on eBay and the could not be more helpful, they really go the extra mile. It's a two year warranty and they have a repair facility in the city where I live. At only $320 AUD, if I have to throw them away in two years I'll not much care. Then again, every single apple product I've owned and I've owned a lot, needed repair.

Here's another side on shot. We're currently having 30ºC days and it's gonna get hotter, humidity is high and there's not much I can do about that. So it looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of thinning out tomorrow if only to get some good airflow in.

Attachments

• day 42.JPG
    day 42.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I'll put up some shots later, but I feel my hand has been forced here. Outside humidity is 85% it's not going to get a lot better. There's no way I can reduce the humidity around the plant without incurring a ridiculous level of expense. Seedstockers have warned this plant is susceptible this. So I feel I've had to thin her out just to keep the air moving. Is this an error? Possibly it is. I have cut out a fair bit of weedy looking larfy stuff, but I've also left a lot of stuff like that so if they end up producing decent buds, then I'll know for next time. So this has been a defoliation not to let light in but to control the humidity. All the plants in this area where I live are very prone to all kinds of weird fungus attacks and I know once that sets in, it's usually a disaster and the air is full of spores. On the plus side, the root ball is huge and white and furry, and everything looks healthy. I'll just not do anything at all now for the next week other than top up the reservoir.

You know how I feel! Can’t go wrong with defoliation, especially if you are happy with the veg growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OK thanks @Pigskinfantasy, here's some before and after shots. It's grown 5 inches the past week and it began at 10 inches high. It's now 14" because the canopy has flattened out. The root system is about as good as it's possible to get, it has absolutely exploded and could probably power the Falcon X heavy rocket if it was called upon to do this. I am a bit concerned about how spindly it is but I think that is a property of this particular OG.

NPK is at 1 / 1.4 / 1.7 with a ppm of 1100 pump is on/off every 15mins 24/7, so the rootball is continuously dampened and drained. I ran all last week at pH 6.3 and it gradually dropped to 6, growth looks healthy so I've started at 6.3 again. My plan this week is to do nothing at all other than top up the reservoir. I'll try not to look at her.

D43-After-trim-1.jpg

Attachments

• D42-before-trim-1.jpg
    D42-before-trim-1.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 48
  • D42-before-trim-2.jpg
    D42-before-trim-2.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 46
  • D42-before-trim-3.jpg
    D42-before-trim-3.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 46
  • D43-After-trim-2.jpg
    D43-After-trim-2.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 51
  • D43-finished-1.jpg
    D43-finished-1.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 59
  • D43-finished-2.jpg
    D43-finished-2.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 52
  • D43-finished-3.jpg
    D43-finished-3.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 59
  • D43-Roots-1.jpg
    D43-Roots-1.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 48
  • D43-Roots-2.jpg
    D43-Roots-2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 46
  • D43-Roots-3.jpg
    D43-Roots-3.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
It's looking good man, but leaving her alone for a week will result in a big mess. I think I said earlier once you commit to defol it's ongoing, or it will defeat you. Cool if you want a lot of foliage and not so much buds haha
Once she's well into flower, you can relax a bit, the production of fan leaves gradually stops.
That topping you did is coming home to roost and not in a good way I think, unless you keep at it.
Personally I would have taken every leaf 8-10 cm within the perimeter and keep doing it.

@Tony, thanks for that. So you reckon this particular phenotype should maybe have just been let to grow a central cola? Can you explain a bit further about what you mean by the perimeter?, you mean all the outside leave. So you reckon just keep the leaves down then? I'm happy to follow advice on this as I'm completely at a loss with this autoflower.

Hey, thanks EyeWood, I'm familiar with photoperiods, and I though Autos would be a doddle, but it's like learning all over again. I've given them a bit of a super defoliate, because like, what's the worse that can happen? No one is going to die. I saw an auto on another journal that was like the beanstalk, it's an auto that shot up to 1.5 metres!

Attachments

• crazy mofo.jpg
    crazy mofo.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 26
@Tony21 , Thanks for your excellent advice, I went in and did a major super defoliate last night, today when I look at her I am very pleased with the result. I can now see every single branch, the tops were a little bit droopy when I finished yesterday but it's all looking very perky today. I'm now not expecting her to start to bud up until week 8. She's already grown an inch since last night, I put this down to the excellent root system.

Day44a.jpg
Day44b.jpg
Day44c.jpg

@Tony21 , Thanks for your excellent advice, I went in and did a major super defoliate last night, today when I look at her I am very pleased with the result. I can now see every single branch, the tops were a little bit droopy when I finished yesterday but it's all looking very perky today. I'm now not expecting her to start to bud up until week 8. She's already grown an inch since last night, I put this down to the excellent root system.

View attachment 970266 View attachment 970267 View attachment 970268

Damn good job with the defol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back