Lighting Finally decided on my cobs

@BigSm0 looks like i am going to have to rethink my setup because i put the cobs on the heatsink with kapton tape and thermal paste just to see how hot the heatsink gets and i could not even touch it.i dont even think a fan will cool it enough.i think i need a bigger length of heatsink or just use 2 cobs on the 400mm heatsink i have.i know i have the dimming driver but whats the point if i cant turn it up full blast

@BigSm0 looks like i am going to have to rethink my setup because i put the cobs on the heatsink with kapton tape and thermal paste just to see how hot the heatsink gets and i could not even touch it.i dont even think a fan will cool it enough.i think i need a bigger length of heatsink or just use 2 cobs on the 400mm heatsink i have.i know i have the dimming driver but whats the point if i cant turn it up full blast
Do you have any pics of the heatsink? Depending on the fins or pin layout active cooling could make a big enough difference. My cobs register just over 100f without active cooling and that's very hot to the touch.

Do you have any pics of the heatsink? Depending on the fins or pin layout active cooling could make a big enough difference. My cobs register just over 100f without active cooling and that's very hot to the touch.

Here it is bro

s-l1600.jpg

@BigSm0 the thing is i used the drivers and fan out of my mars 300 before my meanwell driver arrived and the heatsink was not even warm to the touch but i know those drivers are probably driving 500ma at most but omg run at 1400a those cobs get hot

With the 1212's you should be around 50w each vs 20w before. Heat is comin just within its limits. If you can put your hand on it then your probably ok. This sounds like it's well past that.

With the 1212's you should be around 50w each vs 20w before. Heat is comin just within its limits. If you can put your hand on it then your probably ok. This sounds like it's well past that.

I will stick the fan on it tomorrow and see how much difference it makes.but i dont like the heat coming from the heatsink i can put my hand on it for about 3 seconds then its to hot to keep there.but i think it will be ok when i stick the fan on it because the heat has nowhere to go now just the heatsink but with the fan running it will take some heat away from the moment its turned on.passive is defo a no no with this type of heatsink

Back