FD's Guide to Growing Hefty Autos in Small Places.

Ok guys i have been dragging my knuckles on this for too long. This thread will be dedicated to my actual grow technique. I will have everything in here from the way i germ seeds to the way i harvest and everything in between.

ill cover my soil mixes, teas, water adjustments, feeding schedules as well as the recipes for the soil and teas that i use. My goal is to teach how to grow the bud lumps you see in the small pots i use. I feel if you use this you may have the same success that i do when it comes to autos in small places.

Bare with me as i will update this on the regular, but will be locking it to get it all organized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo much great info here so thanks for sharing. Whilst I can't currently use it for what it is intended some good general tips for the garden. I always have lots of eggshells in the compost bin but will be grinding some up to use in a tea. I can also attest to the seaweed/kelp - the garden loves this stuff as a tonic!
thanks - Im sure Ill be reading this one again and again

i am sorry but am i the only one that is confused by the fox farms feeding schedule its all over the place with different tablespoon and (tsp) which is a teaspoon, not sure what to do can u rewrite with correct measurements are they tablespoons (tbsp) or teaspoon(tsp) im guessing it was the tablespoon but please let me know

i am sorry but am i the only one that is confused by the fox farms feeding schedule its all over the place with different tablespoon and (tsp) which is a teaspoon, not sure what to do can u rewrite with correct measurements are they tablespoons (tbsp) or teaspoon(tsp) im guessing it was the tablespoon but please let me know

you are correct i went back and corrected it, i forgot the B's when i wrote it.

OK, so now the tsp and tbsp listed are correct, or are all the measurements supposed to be tablespoons?

Ok i need to clarify here, i went and looked at the FF bottle it is TEAspoons so i had them right just the worded out ones were wrong.
Im going to change it back to what i had and correct the end ones. Sorry for the confusion guys.

Ok i need to clarify here, i went and looked at the FF bottle it is TEAspoons so i had them right just the worded out ones were wrong.
Im going to change it back to what i had and correct the end ones. Sorry for the confusion guys.

Great. Thanks again for all the help, FD!

On your soil mix FD, a rough estimate will do, how much will that fill? I have 10 3gallon pots. Will i need to double everything or will 1 25lb bag be enough?

Thanks

Most likely you may need 2 bags for that i can fill about 10 to 12 .5 gallon or 6'' pots with that amount of mix. then i just recycle it after i use it. Ive been using the same tub of dirt for about 3 years not i think :lol:

Control those roots!

Well guys it has been a while since i have been in here with any new tips. Some of you know that i am currently working a few projects and that has taken my time and i hate it that i cant be here more than i am. But none the less the stuff that i keep testing over here is to make the experience of growing autos better for you and to keep it all under one key statement, keep it simple. :thumbs:

Now i have been testing a few of the newer strains by Wiz for times, yields, and for effects. At the same time i am always looking for something new to make the auto produce that much more in its little life span. If you have been growing autos for any time you know that the bigger you get the plant the better the yield is going to be. The first step to this is providing a thriving environment for the roots, if you do that then the plat will yield well.

This next process was to stop the root balling at the base of the plant to en long the veg period of the auto. Currently we think that the auto show sex at the time the roots touch the sides and or the bottom, i think think that there is a massive explosion of root growth at this point. If you think about it the auto shows its preflowers and then the plant goes into overdrive. This is when the roots start to fill the bottom of the pot and i believe that this is when the head starts to form and vertical growth stops and the buds begin to cluster, form and then swell.

On my last grow i had 7 plants, one in which i change something about the pot. what i did was remove the bottom of the pot and replace it with a fine screen. Something small enough to stop the roots but yet let water pass and not cause a clogging issue. what happend was amazing, the mesh bottom stopped the root ball from forming as fast as it usually does allowing the plant long time to grow int he veg stage. This plant was 2x taller and 2x the yield of the other six in the room of the exact same age.

As the roots grew to the mesh and through it, they were "air pruned" and then from the tip back feeder roots will form, stopping the root pooling at the bottom untill the mesh became full of roots. This proves to me that a lot of the autos "timing" has to come from the roots.

I am testing this again in the party cup challenge, i have three cups that have the bottoms removed to see if they will double in size with these changes.
Fingers crossed for another live experiment. :wiz:

Back