New Grower Equatorial Tropical Indoor Mephisto Grow (Chemdogging + Northern Cheese Haze)

Day 8
  • Neem oil, DE and BT arrived, but will prob keep them on the sidelines for now. Fruit flies mostly disappeared but there are a few insects now and again.
  • Will be adding fine mosquito net to the open side of the tent to help keep out the equatorial nasties, whilst still allowing circulation.
  • Readjusted position of tent so open side of tent is facing the AC. Difference is massive and my power bill will nicely reflect this.
  • Temp spiked from usual 24-26c to 27c for several hours and then to 28.2c very briefly, then down to 23.3c very quickly. Now stable at 24-25c. Hope ok.
  • Not much else to comment. Still some minor signs of hot soil and overwatering?? on couple of them I think but otherwise ok.

Attachments

• nch5.jpeg
    nch5.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 55
  • nch4.jpeg
    nch4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
  • nch3.jpeg
    nch3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
  • nch2.jpeg
    nch2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • nch.jpeg
    nch.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
  • cd1.jpeg
    cd1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • cd2.jpeg
    cd2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • cd3.jpeg
    cd3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 49
  • cd5.jpeg
    cd5.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
  • cd4.jpeg
    cd4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Day 11
Pots dried up entirely so gave each 3-5L of water (10-20% runoff) to try help with hot soil.
Now will wait for them to dry up again and simply add water again. Should take 5-7 days.
CD1 and NCH1 were watered 12 hours before pic as a test and they perked up. All others were just watered right before.

Anxious and guessing I have shunted them with the nute burn. Do they look normal? :sadcry:

Attachments

• nch1.jpeg
    nch1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • nch2.jpeg
    nch2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • nch3.jpeg
    nch3.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
  • cd1.jpeg
    cd1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • cd2.jpeg
    cd2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 56
  • cd3.jpeg
    cd3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
My limited experience tells me that the best move right now is just to leave them alone. Foliar once or twice a day depending on your humidity. Can pretty much drench them. Keep environment on point as best you can. Keep reminding yourself to leave them alone. Once roots are established, you'll see them blow up. Right now, growth is gonna be slow. Leaves are still little and small. As more nodes grow, leaves get larger and growth will follow.

Do not let them dry up entirely. If you need 5 litres to achieve slight run off in a 5 gallon pot, I'd say it may be too dry. Especially for seedling stage. Most living soil tutorial will recommend to keep it moist at all times. Non living/organic soil grows will usually recommend till top inch is dry to touch. Not bone dry. But dry to touch.

Most growers, even organic growers don't feed for around first 10-14 days. Some even more. Your Super soil should have more than enough. Most do plain water or some enzyme, microbes, coconut water, aloe vera etc. Maybe a Fish Hydrolysate, EWC, alfalfa Meal etc. booster if N is deficient. Not really anything nutrient rich But rather to enchance soil health that will in turn feed the plant. Even If they top dress or add any amendments, its for them to break down in 1-3 weeks, for future availability.

I briefly read through your updates and while I can't remember all details, it seems you have been very busy with your plants. The early stages, they are quite fragile. Leave them alone for the moment and let them build their base. PH the water you give them and all should be good. Add some myco or any beneficial bacteria you may have into the dollar and/or watering. That should make the roots happy!

Hope this helps but please do note that I'm a newbie myself.

My limited experience tells me that the best move right now is just to leave them alone. Foliar once or twice a day depending on your humidity. Can pretty much drench them. Keep environment on point as best you can. Keep reminding yourself to leave them alone. Once roots are established, you'll see them blow up. Right now, growth is gonna be slow. Leaves are still little and small. As more nodes grow, leaves get larger and growth will follow.

Do not let them dry up entirely. If you need 5 litres to achieve slight run off in a 5 gallon pot, I'd say it may be too dry. Especially for seedling stage. Most living soil tutorial will recommend to keep it moist at all times. Non living/organic soil grows will usually recommend till top inch is dry to touch. Not bone dry. But dry to touch.

Most growers, even organic growers don't feed for around first 10-14 days. Some even more. Your Super soil should have more than enough. Most do plain water or some enzyme, microbes, coconut water, aloe vera etc. Maybe a Fish Hydrolysate, EWC, alfalfa Meal etc. booster if N is deficient. Not really anything nutrient rich But rather to enchance soil health that will in turn feed the plant. Even If they top dress or add any amendments, its for them to break down in 1-3 weeks, for future availability.

I briefly read through your updates and while I can't remember all details, it seems you have been very busy with your plants. The early stages, they are quite fragile. Leave them alone for the moment and let them build their base. PH the water you give them and all should be good. Add some myco or any beneficial bacteria you may have into the dollar and/or watering. That should make the roots happy!

Hope this helps but please do note that I'm a newbie myself.

Thanks for taking the time buddy! Yeah you pretty much nailed it I think. Fully aware of everywhere I went wrong. The biggest mistake, which is disappointing after so much research beforehand, is that when planting a seed, the Biotabs go in 2-3 weeks later. The second mistake is choice of medium and not opting to mix up a blend myself. I have learnt so much in the last 10 days and wish I could start again, but that is no longer an option, so strap in and let's see what the girls can do.

I will be happy enough if can make it through to any kind of a harvest, thereby acquiring experience at all stages on my 1st run.

Maybe they don;'t even look that bad. Not dead yet anyway. They continue to grow and the mutant seems to continue throwing out 3 leaves!

Thanks for taking the time buddy! Yeah you pretty much nailed it I think. Fully aware of everywhere I went wrong. The biggest mistake, which is disappointing after so much research beforehand, is that when planting a seed, the Biotabs go in 2-3 weeks later. The second mistake is choice of medium and not opting to mix up a blend myself. I have learnt so much in the last 10 days and wish I could start again, but that is no longer an option, so strap in and let's see what the girls can do.

I will be happy enough if can make it through to any kind of a harvest, thereby acquiring experience at all stages on my 1st run.

Maybe they don;'t even look that bad. Not dead yet anyway. They continue to grow and the mutant seems to continue throwing out 3 leaves!
Don't get me wrong bro. They don't look bad at all, except for one with some fading going on. But that could just be a temporary PH thing and most seeding usually grow out of it. Especially if only one out of all plants that are sharing the same inputs.

Besides that, they look okay to me. You really don't need to discount your harvest so early on. Even if you suspect you did something wrong, you'll be surprised how strong they come back. Just don't do anything overboard like me and get them all sunburned. Excessive stress like that could shock them into premature flowering and that will really cut your harvest significantly.

One more thing is each seed grows slightly different. It don't represent much at this stage. Even if your last grow shows the same, don't mean its the same this time round. Some seeds are faster, Some slower. Genetics might give this plant larger indica leaves and another the opposite. Some taller, some bushier. You get the idea. My smallest plant was my best smoke last round.

Don't worry too much about feeding at this point and just enjoy the experience. Learn as much as you can this round and implement the lessons learned next round. Pretty much what I see everyone do here, new and old growers alike.

Have fun bro!

Day 13
  • Been having issues with runoff PH and EC. Check this link for further details.
  • flushed 3/6 of my 3 gal pots with about 10-20L of water to get a runoff ppm of 350-450, started with runoff ppm of 3000-4000. those flushed have responded well so far.
  • removed some Biotabs where possible, but eh cant find most and dont want to damage the roots digging around.
  • hopefully PH and ppm levels in these 3 pots are now more suitable. if they respond well I will pump some water through the others as well.
  • Got a few different tests going on now really. Let's see what happens. Lots of new undergrowth and the mutant is doing well.
  • I think I will attempt LST on the CD3 mutant to give it a shot.

Attachments

• all.jpeg
    all.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 68
  • cd1 - no biotabs (not flushed).jpeg
    cd1 - no biotabs (not flushed).jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 58
  • cd2 - 1x biotab (not flushed).jpeg
    cd2 - 1x biotab (not flushed).jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • cd3 - 1x biotab (flushed).jpeg
    cd3 - 1x biotab (flushed).jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • nch1 - 1x biotab (flushed.jpeg
    nch1 - 1x biotab (flushed.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • nch2 - 1x biotab (not flushed).jpeg
    nch2 - 1x biotab (not flushed).jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • nch3 - 2x biotabs (half flushed).jpeg
    nch3 - 2x biotabs (half flushed).jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
I looked at your Day 11 update and the PPM thread. You should be in great hands with the expert help you getting.

Some points I noticed that others may have missed.

You just watered them to run off two days ago. Why were you watering them to run off again in just two days? It will be helpful to know your actual conditions but you mentioned equatorial which is usually hot and humid. Since you grow in a tent, should be quite humid that its impossible for a 5 gallon pot to evaporate in 2 days. My pot is moist up to first 2 weeks and when I water again, it usually lasts around a week. Then, the intervals get shorter and shorter. You may be using fabric pots but overwatering is still very possible at this stage. Big pot, small seedling.

Based on your description, Seems like you watered to run off but collected the first few drops to test. I have never tested run off as its known to be inaccurate. But the way you did it seems like you watered slowly and collected first drops of run off. If so, seems to me that its natural for PPM to be high.

Were they reacting badly, that you decided to check run off? If not, you really should have left them alone. Constant overwatering can drown those seedlings.

My observation of CD3 that has some yellowing. Soil looks broken up. Like the pot got dropped or something. Could be stress to the roots causing that. Don't see that on other pots. Or…I could be totally wrong. Just thought I'd share.

My observation of CD3 that has some yellowing. Soil looks broken up. Like the pot got dropped or something. Could be stress to the roots causing that. Don't see that on other pots. Or…I could be totally wrong. Just thought I'd share.

Yes. Well spotted.It affects every single one. These square squared grow bags suck vs the round ones and more importantly there is nowhere near enough perlite inside. Watch the space, there is going to be some coco/perlite/worm castings mix up and running in about 1 week and maybe the same soil but with improved drainage. Few tests.

I looked at your Day 11 update and the PPM thread. You should be in great hands with the expert help you getting.

Some points I noticed that others may have missed.

You just watered them to run off two days ago. Why were you watering them to run off again in just two days? It will be helpful to know your actual conditions but you mentioned equatorial which is usually hot and humid. Since you grow in a tent, should be quite humid that its impossible for a 5 gallon pot to evaporate in 2 days. My pot is moist up to first 2 weeks and when I water again, it usually lasts around a week. Then, the intervals get shorter and shorter. You may be using fabric pots but overwatering is still very possible at this stage. Big pot, small seedling.

Based on your description, Seems like you watered to run off but collected the first few drops to test. I have never tested run off as its known to be inaccurate. But the way you did it seems like you watered slowly and collected first drops of run off. If so, seems to me that its natural for PPM to be high.

Were they reacting badly, that you decided to check run off? If not, you really should have left them alone. Constant overwatering can drown those seedlings.

The FIRST time i watered was 2 days ago was not to runoff at all. Just a couple litres in each pot iirc so no runoff. Never ever watered this soil enough to get runoff until that final time and I only did it to 2.-3 pots. 3rd pot final reading was 1600ppm lol. They are actually 3 gals realistically as well. They have not drooped, infact the opposite, one of them is now full on praying and others following suit a bit.

Anyway, yes they wont need watering for about another week till they dry out and the pots are light to pick up.
Apparently super soil can have super high ppm runoffs and not effect the plants too badly. Hopefully they will grow out of it.

Last edited:
Back