Lighting DIY mars conversion. Questions and answers here.

BigSm0

C O B S H O P . N E T
AFN Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Website
cobshop.net
I think since this DIY section was started here at Afn there has been allot of responses towards the mars conversion. I have hacked a lot of them, built dozens of lights and feel very confident in assisting others. Soooo if you have a mars and need advice ask away.

To start it is best to open the light and possibly take a picture of the inside.

A list of what drivers are in the light

How much space is available for the cobs themselves.

If it is unworking which is common there is still plenty of hope. Mars lights have numerous drivers and usually half of them are needed for a super bright upgrade.

Right i will start then i have 2 mars 300w(140w actuall draw)no pictures there bathing my girls in light at the moment.i have read all your post about diy lights so am pretty clued up on drivers ect.the only thing i need to really know is what cobs to stick on them and how many 2 per light 4,5 ? i know the more you can run at lower amps the better for efficiency

Right i will start then i have 2 mars 300w(140w actuall draw)no pictures there bathing my girls in light at the moment.i have read all your post about diy lights so am pretty clued up on drivers ect.the only thing i need to really know is what cobs to stick on them and how many 2 per light 4,5 ? i know the more you can run at lower amps the better for efficiency
Yay!! Thanks 2stoned.
You can go with cree's 36v cobs- 2530,3070,&3590 or you could go with citizen which are also 36v but only the clu048-1212 version. Personally I love the citizens as of my recent bench testing and usage. Price wise they kick ass too. 15.75 with a bjb adapter vs a Cree 2530 which would be very close to the same dollar range but a much less efficient chip.

As long as the drivers are the same as the rest of the mars we have come across you should be able to safely run 2 per driver. Completely up to you 1-6 cobs per panel on the 300's I think 4-6 is the best though

Also wanted to say thank you for taking the time to read what I have written. DIY seems to be very slow here but with time it will take off. In the meantime I guess I can pick away at the interest now and help as many as I can. I'd say it's one of the best things you could do to your room.

Something for everyone reading to consider is I have never heard of anyone saying they were even in the slightest dissatisfied with their cobs. On the other hand I have seen hundreds of folks say they think their skill has out grown most less expensive lights. Blurple LEDs Seem bright at first then after a grow or 2 they seem to be the excuse for the smaller yield. In the end most venture looking for more. Cooooobs lol.

Also wanted to say thank you for taking the time to read what I have written. DIY seems to be very slow here but with time it will take off. In the meantime I guess I can pick away at the interest now and help as many as I can. I'd say it's one of the best things you could do to your room.

Something for everyone reading to consider is I have never heard of anyone saying they were even in the slightest dissatisfied with their cobs. On the other hand I have seen hundreds of folks say they think their skill has out grown most less expensive lights. Blurple LEDs Seem bright at first then after a grow or 2 they seem to be the excuse for the smaller yield. In the end most venture looking for more. Cooooobs lol.

yeah mate i have outgrown my lights now lol.my girls grow big with cheap mars leds but i know with better light they would be even bigger and better but it would mean finding more space because i can fill a 2x2 with 1 plant and my new tent is 2x3 and filled with 2 plants.i mean if this is what i can grow with a 140w actual draw mars 300 then upgrading to cobs will turn me into a monster monster grower

g62.jpg

Wow that is an amazing plant and your absolutely right. If you break it down per light your hitting those plants with about 30 par watts. If you added 4 cobs which would be close to a 100w draw since the drivers limit them to around 25 watts each you would have closer to 50 par watts. Also 40 less wall watts. If you went with 6 cobs-150 watts you would be around 75 par watts which is more than double the mars.

Great price on the 1212's too. I think I pay the same at Components distributers and they have me in a decent price range vs regular consumers.

I'm thrilled to see the build. Will it be soon? Don't forget to add in holders. Bjb are by far my favorite. Might need some extra wire. Wagos/crimp caps or butt connectors. Thermal paste wouldn't hurt either.

These 2 are grown under 300w of Cree 3590 and supplemental LEDs in the Amare pro4. Still growing rapidly too. Height on the bigger one is 40 inches. I'm thinking with the size of your girls now under mars you would definitely kill it with cobs.
IMG_4094.JPG
IMG_4095.JPG

Back