Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure I am wrong here, but I take issue with the EC/PPM obsession..

It boils down to this: the EC/PPM is a measure of ALL conductive ions in solution. Those ions could be anything. If you start with distilled water, EC/PPM might confirm what you should already know based on what you add to the water, but what good is that, really? Watch the plants - let them tell you what they need/don't need. I think tracking (and correcting for) such a metric is just a distraction from what you can already read from the plant.

If you use EC/PPM readings to determine the rate at which plants are taking up food (like I used to do) I think you are probably wasting your time.

Keep an eye on pH. That's something that really matters. Let the plants tell you what they need with regard to nutrients.

If you are growing a ton of plants on a large system, then monitoring sort of makes sense. For most of what we do, I think it's superfluous. And worse, it might be very misleading if you depend on it to adjust nutrient concentrations.

Just my $0.02

Thanks for the input bud.
About to start my second grow and not quite accustomed to reading my plants, whole skill in itself I reckon. No doubt it comes naturally to some. Reading the plant and then having experience with your feed go hand in hand, if I could read my plants well enough I’d still need the experience in the feed to know how and what they need. I’m really not much of a green thumb however much I wish I was, and as I said, this is easy stuff for some people, but can be a maze for others. I’ve learnt a lot from my first grow, many many mistakes with stunted plants at the end, ph probably being one of the most important.
When I received my ec pen towards the end of the grow, I made some test mixes up of previous feeds I’d given the plants. I’d been adding cal mag to the mix which just threw the ec right up and from what I was told, that was most likely the culprit for my lock out. If I had the ec pen from the get go I would of known how strong it was and would of tamed it right back.
I’m not looking for an exact schedule as I mentioned in the previous post, just wondering whether there is a general guideline to ec increase on a week by week basis. Maybe there’s no answer but wanted to ask anyway,
Cheers!

About to start my second grow and not quite accustomed to reading my plants, whole skill in itself I reckon. No doubt it comes naturally to some. Reading the plant and then having experience with your feed go hand in hand, if I could read my plants well enough I’d still need the experience in the feed to know how and what they need. I’m really not much of a green thumb however much I wish I was, and as I said, this is easy stuff for some people, but can be a maze for others. I’ve learnt a lot from my first grow, many many mistakes with stunted plants at the end, ph probably being one of the most important.
When I received my ec pen towards the end of the grow, I made some test mixes up of previous feeds I’d given the plants. I’d been adding cal mag to the mix which just threw the ec right up and from what I was told, that was most likely the culprit for my lock out. If I had the ec pen from the get go I would of known how strong it was and would of tamed it right back.
I’m not looking for an exact schedule as I mentioned in the previous post, just wondering whether there is a general guideline to ec increase on a week by week basis. Maybe there’s no answer but wanted to ask anyway,
Cheers!
It's not as hard as you might think.

Start off light with autos - and watch the new growth once its about a week old. If its too pale, increase the base nutes. If it's too dark green, and/or the leaves are curling under at the tips, lighten up the nutes. Nitrogen is a good indicator for base nute levels. Odds are your base contains more than enough micronutes so you wont have to worry much about them until you get into flower.

The key is pH. Keep it sane and your plants will be fine. Depending on the medium you are using, there are steps to take to make sure unused nutes don't build up. I do RDWC, and that's all I've ever done, though I am sure there are folks here that can step in for soil/coco grows.

The best thing i did when i started growing was to read every guide written by 912GreenSkell. Also another great thing I would recommend doing is to read as much as possible in the infirmary Waira really knows what his talking about and it's a great way to learn what's going on with your plants. I also try to read as many journals as possible. I only grow outdoors but have read all sorts from hydro to coco and every thing in between. Having as much knowledge as possible will help more than any gadget.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back