Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 7:30pm and it's been pitch black outside since 6pm. Supposed to get down to 22f for our low.

There isnt a "dislike" button.

:snow2:
011216782578b7a839ac1fc728e10f11.jpg
:snow2:

I read on here somewhere, i'm sure(?), that you shouldn't really need to go ove 2.0 E.C dude:watering:
I am sure I am wrong here, but I take issue with the EC/PPM obsession..

It boils down to this: the EC/PPM is a measure of ALL conductive ions in solution. Those ions could be anything. If you start with distilled water, EC/PPM might confirm what you should already know based on what you add to the water, but what good is that, really? Watch the plants - let them tell you what they need/don't need. I think tracking (and correcting for) such a metric is just a distraction from what you can already read from the plant.

If you use EC/PPM readings to determine the rate at which plants are taking up food (like I used to do) I think you are probably wasting your time.

Keep an eye on pH. That's something that really matters. Let the plants tell you what they need with regard to nutrients.

If you are growing a ton of plants on a large system, then monitoring sort of makes sense. For most of what we do, I think it's superfluous. And worse, it might be very misleading if you depend on it to adjust nutrient concentrations.

Just my $0.02

Very true Mike, once you learn to listen to your plants and give them what they are telling you to give them, they nearly grow them selves!
I am sure I am wrong here, but I take issue with the EC/PPM obsession..

It boils down to this: the EC/PPM is a measure of ALL conductive ions in solution. Those ions could be anything. If you start with distilled water, EC/PPM might confirm what you should already know based on what you add to the water, but what good is that, really? Watch the plants - let them tell you what they need/don't need. I think tracking (and correcting for) such a metric is just a distraction from what you can already read from the plant.

If you use EC/PPM readings to determine the rate at which plants are taking up food (like I used to do) I think you are probably wasting your time.

Keep an eye on pH. That's something that really matters. Let the plants tell you what they need with regard to nutrients.

If you are growing a ton of plants on a large system, then monitoring sort of makes sense. For most of what we do, I think it's superfluous. And worse, it might be very misleading if you depend on it to adjust nutrient concentrations.

Just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back