Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're trying to lower the humidity, that would be the more economical choice.

If you're trying to lower the temperature in the tent, you'll have to pipe the heat out of the tent. You need a heat exchanger. If you can keep the room the tent is in cool enough, you might be able to get away with the natural exchange of air between the tent and the room using an exhaust fan. The faster you can suck in cool air from the room, the more heat it will be able to remove. Of course, the downside is that you might overwhelm your carbon filter (if using one), and it will be harder to maintain elevated relative humidity in the tent.

It's hard to over emphasize this: Anything that uses electricity you add to the tent will increase the heat being added to the tent. This gets a little techy, but it's how I solved the problem in my tent... A 4x2x5 enclosure.

My first grow I had a ViparSpectra 600 and only grew one plant. The temps were manageable (it was winter at the time, and the room was rather cool), but were still 10 degrees above ambient at best. The rate I had to run the fan meant that the tent wasn't very humid.

Before I started a second grow, I wanted to start growing two plants at a time, so I invested in a second ViparSpectra 600.

The temperature in the tent never went below 90F with both lights on. That wasn't going to do.

Turns out, most LED lights have pitiful efficiency, averaging around 20%. This means for all the energy the fixture draws from the wall (let's say its 200 watts), 160 watts of it is dissipated as heat inside the tent.

I purchased two COBs, that run at closer to 50% efficiency, and only drawing 30 watts apiece.

So with the LED panels, I was dissipating 320 watts of heat, compared to 30 watts with the COBs. The difference has been nothing short of impressive. Tent now at 5 degrees above ambient, which is more than manageable.

Sorry about the long story, but I wanted to show that sometimes it's easier to eliminate what is creating the heat, then trying to exchange it out of the tent.

Good luck!
Thanks so much man! This has got my head right now✌️

Going alright thanks!! Have all the plants in the ground and all are settling well...what more can a man ask for? How is things going for you bud?
That is good to hear! I still need to get my herb garden started, but I figure I still have a few more weeks before it might be a bit late to do so.

Enjoying my own weed, eating food that I cooked. Trying to graduate to the "and drinking booze/beer/wine/mead that I also made" level. Might do some mead. It's fun to make and if you follow the right recipe, you have drinkable mead in a month (of course you can still age it for years, but you don't have to... which is the real strength of the approach I am considering. Google BOMM Mead.)

Now where did I put that joint.....

:pass:

Thanks so much man! This has got my head right now✌️
Feel free to PM me if you ever have a question you think I can answer. I'll certainly give it my best shot. I am more of an engineer and amateur chemist than a gardener, but I manage to keep myself stoned.

That is good to hear! I still need to get my herb garden started, but I figure I still have a few more weeks before it might be a bit late to do so.

Enjoying my own weed, eating food that I cooked. Trying to graduate to the "and drinking booze/beer/wine/mead that I also made" level. Might do some mead. It's fun to make and if you follow the right recipe, you have drinkable mead in a month (of course you can still age it for years, but you don't have to... which is the real strength of the approach I am considering. Google BOMM Mead.)

Now where did I put that joint.....

:pass:

My neighbour just up the road makes homemade mead(and raises bees for honey). I gave up booze many years ago...just didnt agree with me(LOL). The only booze i drink now is 190everclear ;)

Feel free to PM me if you ever have a question you think I can answer. I'll certainly give it my best shot. I am more of an engineer and amateur chemist than a gardener, but I manage to keep myself stoned.

We are NEVER in ample supply of either of those paths!! Dr. Babnik is a bio chemist if I am recalling correctly, but we certainly need the thinking processes of an engineer!!

Sharing some pics of my Dinafem Industrial Plant CBD Auto and Sweet Seeds Honey Peach CBD Auto micro babies.
Well, they're not babies now, mature ladies. Honey coming down maybe today, Industrial girl, maybe another week.

20180530 Maria Micro Meds - Day 70 (1).jpg
20180530 Maria Micro Meds - Day 70 (2).jpg
20180530 Maria Micro Meds - Day 70 (3).jpg
20180530 Maria Micro Meds - Day 70 (4).jpg
20180530 Maria Micro Meds - Day 70 (5).jpg

Link to the whole journal in my signature line below.

Love and hugs,
MJS
:love:

My neighbour just up the road makes homemade mead(and raises bees for honey). I gave up booze many years ago...just didnt agree with me(LOL). The only booze i drink now is 190everclear ;)
That is exactly what I was thinking of doing, only in a passive manner. I already put stuff out for the bees, Lots of sugars and pollen. I buy my honey from local farmers, so I like to think it will work out :smoking:

I'll probably post pics of the mead setup if and when I ever get around to it.

We are NEVER in ample supply of either of those paths!! Dr. Babnik is a bio chemist if I am recalling correctly, but we certainly need the thinking processes of an engineer!!
I think that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long while. Thanks! :bighug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back