Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this at Wal-Mart in the kids section
j5etwbTh.jpg

Since it's summer here and the ambient relative humidity is climbing, that and the central cooling in this house leaves a bit to be desired, I am running a dehumidifier to keep the room at about 40%. It's pulling about a gallon of water out of the air every few hours.

Instead of tossing that water down the drain, it's a great source of nearly deionized water already. Since I already run a still to clean up the calcium rich water from the well, I figured I'd run the water from the dehumidifier through it. My still is still squeaky clean after 5 runs already, and while it might seem an extra step, the dehumidifier was not designed to produce potable water, so I will assume some contamination is in there.

I also run an evaporative humidifier in the tent. I can dump the dehumidifier water straight into it. The sponge that soaks up the water used to get destroyed by minerals within a week. I am pretty sure that won't be as much of a problem anymore either.

This might prove useful to others who also run a dehumidifier. I like to think that I am feeding my plants with water some of which has more than likely already passed through the plant.

The next "local recycling" effort is on how to recover usable water from the leftover nutrient solution and other "waste." Perhaps a RO system? I really don't like pouring this stuff down the drain.

Last edited:
Interesting, if not long, video on the basic principles of distillation, and making banana brandy....

Mike, are you branching out on the homemade front?? Go for the grain.....then you can make green dragon!

Mike, are you branching out on the homemade front?? Go for the grain.....then you can make green dragon!
As it happens, the still I am using to purify water can of course also be used to distill ethanol. Have not tried it yet, since I don't think the condenser is very efficient and will leak a lot of vapor. Possible fire hazard.

Though I wouldn't need to make that much. One batch should be about 2L of ~150 proof ethanol, which is just as strong as what I am using now, without the taste of cheap rum. I'd need a fractional still (and a much more conspicuous rig) to get it near 190 proof. Nowhere near worth the risk/effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back