Status
Not open for further replies.
So it basically boils down to direct light on the plant stem and center, but reduced intensity light on the buds, to help reduce power consumption mainly. I think it would work best with an AutoCob layout of 5 in an "X" shape. Let the plant grow straight up to the central light, top it out at 4th or 5th node and pull all the new growth outward. You could run the center Cob at full intensity on the central stem (clean off all the first and maybe second sets of bud growth on each growth tip) and pull all the growth tips outward to make a nice circular area without any foliage in the center of the plant. Customize one Angelina reflector on top of another to make the light super intense in a small area (maybe an 8" diameter circle) so it is not way too intense for the leaves and flowers growing just beyond the perimeter of the intense light. The other 4 lamps (the ones to the outside corners) could be run way down on intensity I am guessing and be used without the reflectors. The reason is that the direct light hitting the plant stem and center drives fruit production, so if you normally have 50% or so intensity down at that crotch due to leaf overgrowth, growth tips getting too tall and bushy, etc, but can negate that by pulling them all down and outwards and clean off what remains in the way, then the direct light on all the buds isn't as critical since the plant is getting what it really wants with wind and light across a bare main stem. I have not tried any of this, but would be interested to see at what percentage of intensity the outer Cob's could be reduced to, while maintaining yields. If the center is at 100% and the four outers are at 35% each then you are using 240 of 500, so 48% intensity across the board. Most people it seems run the array of five lamps at 70-80% which is 350-400 of 500. In my theory it could save some money on power, and if it actually works it would save a lot of money on a commercial level, if people used that style of light setup, or at least something you can dial the intensity in on a custom level like how I stated. Maybe it's just crazy stoner ideas.

Edit: The downside to this would be that you could only grow one plant under a five lamp setup at a time, geared much more towards Photoperiod plants or Super Auto's/XXL's.

Last edited:
So it basically boils down to direct light on the plant stem and center, but reduced intensity light on the buds, to help reduce power consumption mainly. I think it would work best with an AutoCob layout of 5 in an "X" shape. Let the plant grow straight up to the central light, top it out at 4th or 5th node and pull all the new growth outward. You could run the center Cob at full intensity on the central stem (clean off all the first and maybe second sets of bud growth on each growth tip) and pull all the growth tips outward to make a nice circular area without any foliage in the center of the plant. Customize one Angelina reflector on top of another to make the light super intense in a small area (maybe an 8" diameter circle) so it is not way too intense for the leaves and flowers growing just beyond the perimeter of the intense light. The other 4 lamps (the ones to the outside corners) could be run way down on intensity I am guessing and be used without the reflectors. The reason is that the direct light hitting the plant stem and center drives fruit production, so if you normally have 50% or so intensity down at that crotch due to leaf overgrowth, growth tips getting too tall and bushy, etc, but can negate that by pulling them all down and outwards and clean off what remains in the way, then the direct light on all the buds isn't as critical since the plant is getting what it really wants with wind and light across a bare main stem. I have not tried any of this, but would be interested to see at what percentage of intensity the outer Cob's could be reduced to, while maintaining yields. If the center is at 100% and the four outers are at 35% each then you are using 240 of 500, so 48% intensity across the board. Most people it seems run the array of five lamps at 70-80% which is 350-400 of 500. In my theory it could save some money on power, and if it actually works it would save a lot of money on a commercial level, if people used that style of light setup, or at least something you can dial the intensity in on a custom level like how I stated. Maybe it's just crazy stoner ideas.

Edit: The downside to this would be that you could only grow one plant under a five lamp setup at a time, geared much more towards Photoperiod plants or Super Auto's/XXL's.
That would actually be an interesting experiment.I don't have the set up for it, or I'd give it a shot next plant.
...it would explain why lollipopped plants seem to do better and get bigger.

Anyone mind pointing me towards the right place to post a question about humidity issues/ventilation? I don't have a journal on this current grow but I'm having some trouble I can't get sorted. Wanted to post it, but things have been changed around/upgraded since I was last here and there's no clear good place to post my question..

Anyone mind pointing me towards the right place to post a question about humidity issues/ventilation? I don't have a journal on this current grow but I'm having some trouble I can't get sorted. Wanted to post it, but things have been changed around/upgraded since I was last here and there's no clear good place to post my question..
You could post your question in here.

You could post your question in here.

Alrighty then, I shall! So the problem is that I have four plants in a 2.5x2.5. Two 4-Assed Monkeys & 2 Blue Toof. The oldest 4AM is at 47 days, the second 4AM is a week behind that, and the BT's are about five days behind that. Needless to say, it's gotten hectic in there. My issue is that my RH is staying steady between 70-80 no matter what I do. I have all the vents open, my exhaust is cranked to full, I have a small circulation fan in there and a bucket of Damp Rid sitting on the floor. I've been defoliating here and there every few days just to thin things out but it is crazy humid no matter what I do.

The two solutions I've come up with have been to ride it out and do a peroxide/water wash at harvest (if it's good enough for Jorge Cervantes to get rid of PM then it's good enough for me as a preventative) or to cull the two BT to get rid of the source of some of the humidity. I'm not stoked about that, but I will if it means I won't have issues at harvest/curing time.

I can't afford a dehumidifier, so I'm kinda stuck. Anyone able to assist? (I might be slow to respond, currently mixing a new batch of nutes, watering the ladies and smoking, lol. Thanks in advance, y'all! :pass:

Alrighty then, I shall! So the problem is that I have four plants in a 2.5x2.5. Two 4-Assed Monkeys & 2 Blue Toof. The oldest 4AM is at 47 days, the second 4AM is a week behind that, and the BT's are about five days behind that. Needless to say, it's gotten hectic in there. My issue is that my RH is staying steady between 70-80 no matter what I do. I have all the vents open, my exhaust is cranked to full, I have a small circulation fan in there and a bucket of Damp Rid sitting on the floor. I've been defoliating here and there every few days just to thin things out but it is crazy humid no matter what I do.

The two solutions I've come up with have been to ride it out and do a peroxide/water wash at harvest (if it's good enough for Jorge Cervantes to get rid of PM then it's good enough for me as a preventative) or to cull the two BT to get rid of the source of some of the humidity. I'm not stoked about that, but I will if it means I won't have issues at harvest/curing time.

I can't afford a dehumidifier, so I'm kinda stuck. Anyone able to assist? (I might be slow to respond, currently mixing a new batch of nutes, watering the ladies and smoking, lol. Thanks in advance, y'all! :pass:

Damn bud!! Thats some harsh humidity!! Given your limitations(no dehumidifier) what you can do is quite limited. Increase circulation as much as you can(within reason) and cross your fingers. An addition of silica also might help.
As for removing the 2 plants, try it for a few hours and see if it does make a difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back