Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah mate they are coming to an end, so it's more likely a genetic thing? I chopped one yesterday it had started to foxtail quite severely with very lose bud structure!

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Could Ben genetics, but could also be your light spectrum and intensity as well. I get foxtailing on nearly every grow due to the plants getting too close to the LEDs. Plants exposed to a cool white spectrum(3500 to 4500k) and light intensity at over 700 par will foxtail on nearly every strain if given enough time to switch into that mode. Not really a horrible thing to have, and you can control it to some point. This is not any article I read or something I have studied, this is personal experience in my own garden. I could be way off...but that is what I have observed.

Could Ben genetics, but could also be your light spectrum and intensity as well. I get foxtailing on nearly every grow due to the plants getting too close to the LEDs. Plants exposed to a cool white spectrum(3500 to 4500k) and light intensity at over 700 par will foxtail on nearly every strain if given enough time to switch into that mode. Not really a horrible thing to have, and you can control it to some point. This is not any article I read or something I have studied, this is personal experience in my own garden. I could be way off...but that is what I have observed.
Interesting observation on the light spectrum, all mine are outdoors. Could it be a nutrient thing? I will be interested to see if it continues to happen with better genetics!

Very interesting.... @hecno , have you noticed a correlation between foxtailing on mostly indicas, in your climate? Can you tag us both (me and the green bandit) on this bud?

Green bandit - to take this even further i would be interested if Afghani indicas were more resilient to the heat and shifts in temp, and less prone to foxtailing. I mean Afghan is very similar to climate in that respect(major heat and major shifts at night)

Nope, because I run afghan indicas all the time. Just ran that huge run of ANQ from DP. Three of the four phenos I got had foxtailing. As I said, from my experience, is has more to do with intensity and spectrum combined. It's the only variable in the grows that I have had that are not always in the "optimal" conditions they say are best. My environment is usually spot on, so those factors are a moot point.
Two of my lights have a softer light spectrum with 3000k color, and a different spectrum with more in the low end, and both have some green light in there as well. These lights rarely foxtail unless the plant is right against them practically and I have no chance to fix it.
It would be interesting to find out if any one else has experienced this, or if it just unique to my grow space.

I think it's a good enough reason to start an indoor grow, sadly my wife does not!

I fkn hate foxtails, but have a really hot globe and 2 sativa Dom's in the tent so I might see them.. :face:

Nugs are tight furry little numbers and temps pretty good at the moment so fingers crossed..

f6

Interesting observation on the light spectrum, all mine are outdoors. Could it be a nutrient thing? I will be interested to see if it continues to happen with better genetics!

I never noticed it being a genetic thing, but I know it is and that Sativas are more sensitive. I get it often in my grow room. It never hurt quality or quantity really, but I never have it that severe either. For outdoor grows, spectrum can be affected slightly by environmental conditions like air pollution, overall air quality, and then add in the air vs. ground temps, soil conditions, air flow, nutes, watering schedule.
Any stress to plants can cause this issue really, but the spectrum having too much red during flower and then somehow that combination and the color being cooler or warmer has an effect.
Nutes being off, ph off, too not, too cold, poor air circulation, they all can lead to stress and foxtailing. When I am careful and more diligent with keeping things perfect, then I don't have issues. Problem for me, I am lazy and at the end of the grows from time to time just let it happen and don't worry too much.
With my 4x4 room averaging nearly 800 to 1000 grams per grow with around 600w of leds, I don't have much to complain about. I remember a day when that was great growing from photos in that space, and now it is no problem to grow those numbers with autos.
If you ever watched the grow doctor on YouTube, he would have told you that was almost impossible by his calculations.

I fkn hate foxtails, but have a really hot globe and 2 sativa Dom's in the tent so I might see them.. :face:

Nugs are tight furry little numbers and temps pretty good at the moment so fingers crossed..

f6

It will be interesting to see with that spectrum you have. I think the key for you to avoid the foxtailing will just be in the environment control itself. Keep temps, RH, ph, root zones all good and you should be fine.

This is what happens when you slak off for a few days and don't keep :tang: and :naughtystep:
IMG_20180820_165528.jpg

Lots of work tonight!

f6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back