Status
Not open for further replies.
My good friend that i fish with works like crazy in the summer(and my time is tied as well). The farm(veggies, fruits, beef, pork, chicken) pretty much shuts down in the winter, so thats when i can play.
What sort of pigs do you have? We have a couple of saddle backs, can't beat home grown pork

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

What sort of pigs do you have? We have a couple of saddle backs, can't beat home grown pork

Tasty ones!! :D hahaha not even sure what variety they are....we buy them locally in the early spring. Damn they do get big! Last year they dressed out at 300 and 330lbs hanging wieight.(gutted and beheaded) We dont butcher the cattle or the pigs. Worth the extra to get them done professionally. We butcher all out of our own chickens and turkeys though. We just grow meat for ourselves and another couple. One pig each and 2 cows each(miniature dexter cattle), along with 70 chickens and 10 turkeys each takes care of almost all of our yearly meat costs, and we get to eat good clean hormone free meat.

Tasty ones!! :D hahaha not even sure what variety they are....we buy them locally in the early spring. Damn they do get big! Last year they dressed out at 300 and 330lbs hanging wieight.(gutted and beheaded) We dont butcher the cattle or the pigs. Worth the extra to get them done professionally. We butcher all out of our own chickens and turkeys though. We just grow meat for ourselves and another couple. One pig each and 2 cows each(miniature dexter cattle), along with 70 chickens and 10 turkeys each takes care of almost all of our yearly meat costs, and we get to eat good clean hormone free meat.
Far out that is a lot of pork. We do all our own butchering on the station here, except for chickens i am lazy and buy them from town. You are right about raising your own meat store bought doesn't even compare

Far out that is a lot of pork. We do all our own butchering on the station here, except for chickens i am lazy and buy them from town. You are right about raising your own meat store bought doesn't even compare

Again...not sure what kind of pigs, but last seasons were a different breed than this years. Regardless, they are going to be a good size this year, not sure if they will be as big as last year, but it all works out!
Chickens are alot of work for sure!! Worth it to us. Automatic plucker saves a ton of work. We can buther 40 birds in 4 hours and thats making them really nice, no feathers leftover.

You must be pretty much self sufficient and not have to buy much in?

It depends...still have to buy some stuff sure, depends on the fruit and veggie season. Some years it sucks...last year we lost 80% of our tomatoes to blight. Within a week 2 75 foot long rows fell to shit. Thats the gig with veggies here and fruit too....a damned rabbit ate my raspberry bark in the winter and i lost 80% of the berry count this season(which sucks because they are also stealth plants for the partial sun garden weed plants). I ended up field picking this year and that combined with the ones i grow, we got enough for 12 jars of black raspberry jam.

Pork these days is so genetically modified for low fat -lean meat, it has no flavor, In the restaurant we use Berkshire Heritage ,double the cost, but has great marbling and taste. Comes from Idaho- Snake river

It depends...still have to buy some stuff sure, depends on the fruit and veggie season. Some years it sucks...last year we lost 80% of our tomatoes to blight. Within a week 2 75 foot long rows fell to shit. Thats the gig with veggies here and fruit too....a damned rabbit ate my raspberry bark in the winter and i lost 80% of the berry count this season(which sucks because they are also stealth plants for the partial sun garden weed plants). I ended up field picking this year and that combined with the ones i grow, we got enough for 12 jars of black raspberry jam.
Good stuff!!! I can see now why your so busy in summer. Bummer about the tomatoe. My veggie garden has never looked so good since I have started to grow canna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back