Status
Not open for further replies.
My Megacrop arrived yesterday so i have 3 plants already in. All 7 gallon DWC containg 5 gals of water.in each one. Phos acid for down all sharing a 600 w hps.

I have one auto Mazar, one Sweet Skunk and a bubblegum on the go, theyve all been topped, tied down and defoliated

If I'd known you had peaches.....you could have taught me how to prune them....:headbang:..I Think I might have massacred them.......:coffee:.......I've never had fruit tree before so I am running Blind...

Don't make it hard, there are two main plans of action. The vase shape with open interior, or the bent branch open center.

general fruit pruning rules:

remove downward or drooping branches
remove inward facing branch sprouts
remove dead wood any time of year
maximize air flow, minimize shaded branches
encourage side growth, limit height.

peaches:

To prevent freeze injury, paint the trunks white. preventing rapid thaw from morning sun. Add insecticide to paint if you have borers.

(bent branch)
in first two years of branch development add weights to the ends of branches to encourage sideways growth, strong spring like curve in the branches to hold weight. Maintaining an open center allow the top to grow to a canopy.

(vase shape)
select branches with 30-50 degree of angle from trunk, and 3 inches or more from each other.
select branches facing the 4 cardinal directions
top it when it gets close to desired height

_IGP1213.JPG

left is vase shape, right is bent branch

That's last one, almost looks a little like Mountain Laurel by the berry cluster in the middle, but i'm not 100% sure..

Beautiful garden!!!!!!! Until the wife and I got our own place, i'may limiting my outdoor stuff to a nice looking lawn for the landlord and maybe clean up some of the Azaleas, cut down a tree or 2 that look fugly.. I'm planning on tossing a couple seeds into this over-grown flower beds that has a short dogwood in it, see if they grow.. The spot gets nearly 10hrs of sun during the best parts of summer..

Don't make it hard, there are two main plans of action. The vase shape with open interior, or the bent branch open center.

general fruit pruning rules:

remove downward or drooping branches
remove inward facing branch sprouts
remove dead wood any time of year
maximize air flow, minimize shaded branches
encourage side growth, limit height.

peaches:

To prevent freeze injury, paint the trunks white. preventing rapid thaw from morning sun. Add insecticide to paint if you have borers.

(bent branch)
in first two years of branch development add weights to the ends of branches to encourage sideways growth, strong spring like curve in the branches to hold weight. Maintaining an open center allow the top to grow to a canopy.

(vase shape)
select branches with 30-50 degree of angle from trunk, and 3 inches or more from each other.
select branches facing the 4 cardinal directions
top it when it gets close to desired height

View attachment 884087

left is vase shape, right is bent branch

Mmmpphhh.....:nono:.........you are my fruit tree guru from now on.....:coffee:

IMG_3927.JPG

My Megacrop arrived yesterday so i have 3 plants already in. All 7 gallon DWC containg 5 gals of water.in each one. Phos acid for down all sharing a 600 w hps.

I have one auto Mazar, one Sweet Skunk and a bubblegum on the go, theyve all been topped, tied down and defoliated
I got sweet skunk in the que. can't wait to see how she does for you and how you like her. Mazar has always sounded interesting to me also. I think Nite Queen has some in her lineage.

What else about peaches....

Leaf curl is a problem, lime-sulfur or copper knocks it down.
Borers are a bitch to deal with.
Light pruning only is required after first 4 years.
Fruits are mostly on second year wood
water shoots, or straight up vigorous branches do not carry much fruit
thin out clusters of peaches to increase fruit quality and reduce diseases

Peach tree litter and branches (unless you have Leaf Curl) are AWEsome in compost. Have tons of micro-nutes.

That's last one, almost looks a little like Mountain Laurel by the berry cluster in the middle, but i'm not 100% sure..

Beautiful garden!!!!!!! Until the wife and I got our own place, i'may limiting my outdoor stuff to a nice looking lawn for the landlord and maybe clean up some of the Azaleas, cut down a tree or 2 that look fugly.. I'm planning on tossing a couple seeds into this over-grown flower beds that has a short dogwood in it, see if they grow.. The spot gets nearly 10hrs of sun during the best parts of summer..

Thank you. It is not a Laurel. It is a forest medicinal, and if I had enough of it, I could get rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back