Lighting Current Leakage? Using Platinum LED P450

Ok, so I purchased a P3 P4330 Kill A Watt Ps10 surge protector for my Platinum LED P45...

Hi Green Goblin,

I had the exact same thing happen to me with the Kill A Watt and my new Platinum 600 with only Veg on. Did you ever figure out what was going on and what was the final word from Platinum? Thanks for your post. It helped me to know someone else had the same problem...

Peace Mon

What's up man, I never did figure out the problem with the platinum.I tried 3 different P450's and a P300 and they all did the same thing immediately. I returned all of them and now have a Mars II 400 and a 250w HPS plugged into the same strip with a 4" Vortex and (3) 6" clip fans in total only pulling 4.6 amps with no beeping whatsoever. This is my second run with this setup and everything running 24/7 with no problems.

What's up man, I never did figure out the problem with the platinum.I tried 3 different P450's and a P300 and they all did the same thing immediately. I returned all of them and now have a Mars II 400 and a 250w HPS plugged into the same strip with a 4" Vortex and (3) 6" clip fans in total only pulling 4.6 amps with no beeping whatsoever. This is my second run with this setup and everything running 24/7 with no problems.

Thanks for the quick response! I have no idea what's going on, but may have to return mine as well if I can't figure it out. Did you have any difficulty getting a refund? Peace Mon

Thanks for the quick response! I have no idea what's going on, but may have to return mine as well if I can't figure it out. Did you have any difficulty getting a refund? Peace Mon

No problem, it was frustrating to say the least, and I really wanted them to work because I've seen great results. It wasn't worth me not being able to go to sleep because I was worried about the beeping. I received mine from Amazon and had no problems returning the light and getting refunded.

I am new to growing but not new to LED's or surge protection devices. LED's are what's called Non-Linear devices, in other words they don't use straight AC power like a regular light but rather a DC power which is derived by chopping up the incoming power. As the power of the light goes up so does the effect on the power. it's nothing unsafe and there is no "Leaking Power". It is just causing a phase shift between the voltage and current which the meter thinks is leakage. Non-linear devices, GFCI's and surge protectors don't play well with one another is likely all that is wrong. The best way to prove it 100% is with an oscilloscope. I have a scope and a Platinum P900 light and will do a test to see if that is actually the case.

Platinum LED lights work very well, I'm no electrician or a " professional " when it comes to LED. I just didn't want to take my chances, I can't afford to.

Thanks.

I am new to growing but not new to LED's or surge protection devices. LED's are what's called Non-Linear devices, in other words they don't use straight AC power like a regular light but rather a DC power which is derived by chopping up the incoming power. As the power of the light goes up so does the effect on the power. it's nothing unsafe and there is no "Leaking Power". It is just causing a phase shift between the voltage and current which the meter thinks is leakage. Non-linear devices, GFCI's and surge protectors don't play well with one another is likely all that is wrong. The best way to prove it 100% is with an oscilloscope. I have a scope and a Platinum P900 light and will do a test to see if that is actually the case.

Then why would the Mars unit not beep and the Platinum beep? I mean, they are virtually the exact same construction/PSU architecture.

Then why would the Mars unit not beep and the Platinum beep? I mean, they are virtually the exact same construction/PSU architecture.
You cannot compare platinum with Mars they are not made exactly the same and each contain different components.I don't no what the beeping sound is but i think you guys might be a little to paranoid.I have a ten dollar surge protector and don't here anything.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have two Platinum P150s, the newer grey ones. I just bought a Kill-A-Watt P4330 power strip that is pretty useless with the two Platinum lights. Each P150 has 3 ma leakage and when the leakage exceeds 05ma it beeps forever and I no longer have access to the other buttons info and voltage readings. It works just fine with everything else in my house, tested up to 13 amps/1600 watts with several household items totaling 02ma leakage. The Platinum led P150 definitely has a voltage leak problem, the screws that the case is put together with has given me a mild shock a few times. I sure hate that my new $65 power strip is useless for its intended purpose. Is this defective enough for a return?

Back