Lighting Current Leakage? Using Platinum LED P450

Green Goblin

Terra Essence
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Forgotten Cookies
How's it going? I've lurked and read for a while and I actually need to head over and make a proper introduction but in the meantime this issue has me stumped. I have no electrical skills to be honest and I like to play it safe and ask questions and also seek a professional when I need work done.

Ok, so I purchased a P3 P4330 Kill A Watt Ps10 surge protector for my Platinum LED P450, a 4" Vortex and a 6" clip fan. Now, on the screen of the surge protector it says, surge ok, ground ok and wiring ok. When I turn on the strip's power everything runs fine until I flip the bloom switch and run full spectrum. The amps on the screen climb to around 3.2 give or take and then I get a beeping sound and the mA icon starts flashing and the number climbs to about 16-17 mA. I tried other outlets with nothing in those rooms plugged in but the light into the strip and still get the same thing.I also have that surge protector plugged into a 12/3 extension cord to the outlet to power the light and fans.The P3 says it can handle up to 15 amps ( which I have the switch on) and up to 1980 watts which I'm nowhere near using. The home is an older home, maybe that has something to do with it? Like I said, everything runs smooth until I hit that bloom switch. Would an electrician have to run new wire on that circuit? I'm just stuck here and have no idea what to do and I was super pumped to get going. I have some Mephisto Sour Stomper and Skyrone Stomper ( thanks guys ) just waiting. By the way, I have replaced both the light and the power strip and it still does the same thing.

Any suggestions, tips, advice is welcome please. Where are my electricians at?

Thank you.

Last edited:
With just the fans running
IMG_20160826_175515.jpg

With the fans and light on full spectrum
IMG_20160826_175730.jpg

How's it going? I've lurked and read for a while and I actually need to head over and make a proper introduction but in the meantime this issue has me stumped. I have no electrical skills to be honest and I like to play it safe and ask questions and also seek a professional when I need work done.

Ok, so I purchased a P3 P4330 Kill A Watt Ps10 surge protector for my Platinum LED P450, a 4" Vortex and a 6" clip fan. Now, on the screen of the surge protector it says, surge ok, ground ok and wiring ok. When I turn on the strip's power everything runs fine until I flip the bloom switch and run full spectrum. The amps on the screen climb to around 3.2 give or take and then I get a beeping sound and the mA icon starts flashing and the number climbs to about 16-17 mA. I tried other outlets with nothing in those rooms plugged in but the light into the strip and still get the same thing.I also have that surge protector plugged into a 12/3 extension cord to the outlet to power the light and fans.The P3 says it can handle up to 15 amps ( which I have the switch on) and up to 1980 watts which I'm nowhere near using. The home is an older home, maybe that has something to do with it? Like I said, everything runs smooth until I hit that bloom switch. Would an electrician have to run new wire on that circuit? I'm just stuck here and have no idea what to do and I was super pumped to get going. I have some Mephisto Sour Stomper and Skyrone Stomper ( thanks guys ) just waiting. By the way, I have replaced both the light and the power strip and it still does the same thing.

Any suggestions, tips, advice is welcome please. Where are my electricians at?

Thank you.
your maxing out the amps on the power strip. get a new one rated for 20mA and you should be fine. also what is the mA rating for your circuit in your fuse box? make sure your not overpowering that too.

I just checked, the circuit that I'm using is rated for 15 amps. The bathroom GFCI I plugged into with nothing else in there is rated for 20 and I still get a beep..The strip is rated for 15 and I'm using like 4 give or take :nono:

This is the info on the strip box..

IMG_20160828_012943.jpg

Last edited:
I just checked, the circuit that I'm using is rated for 15 amps. The bathroom GFCI I plugged into with nothing else in there is rated for 20 and I still get a beep..The strip is rated for 15 and I'm using like 4 give or take :nono:

This is the info on the strip box..

View attachment 622846
the only other thing i can think of would be a bad power strip, even if it is brand-new.

I'll look into that..I thought it was the strip as well and I've contacted the manufacturer twice and they thought the same. I've returned it twice already. I just kept aiming for this strip because of the safety features on the screen to give me some kind of heads up if there was ever a problem.

Last edited:
I unplugged the P450 and plugged in an old 2ft 4 bulb T5 I had to see if the beeping continued and of course it didn't beep lol..I'm going to leave it going for right now until I figure out a solution..Possibly go a step down maybe and grab a P300 and cross my fingers..I have an electrician coming soon so I can hold the girls off with the fluorescent, better than nothing for right this second.

So you are getting 16-17 mA leakage when you hit the bloom mode? If
So that means either there is an intermittent problem with the neutral wire(s) inside the light. Or there is a slight short to ground which is probably coming from one of the semiconductors in the light. It's nothing your household wiring can fix. Your light needs to be returned

I actually returned the P450 three times, and thought maybe a downgrade to the P300 would work but that beeps as well. Could that many Platinum leds have a problem? I wish those HS1s were available.

Back