Bluelab pH pen, and Mars hydro ts1000 questions.

lots of meters says different things the calibration fluids any brand will work also i own a bluelab combi meter and that says if you haven't got storage solution use tap water and not ro or distilled water also i own a Hanna ph meter and that says if you dont have the storage solution you can you the 4.0 calibration fluid to store it in
I like that advice too :thumbsup:

I like that advice too :thumbsup:
i think a lot of different makers contradict each other but i would just go with what it says on the support page of your device and to be totally honest I've never stored my handheld meters in any solution but i do clean them regularly and i use probe wipes occasionally

I have a blue Lab PH pen that is 4 years old and it still works. It is slow but accurate. I have always used the storage solution on it. It is just a back-up now as I replaced it just because it is old.

I run both of your setups.
More lights is always better, providing you don't burn the plants, (use judgement and look at the plants for burning).
Enough said on that.:deadhorse:

As for the Bluelab PH pen.
I agree fully with everything that @Olderfart has said.
I have the soil ph pen from blue labs.
The pen cost me about $200, without regrets,....its worth its weight in gold for my grows and accuracy.
Having said that, ($200 later), I don't mind spending the extra few dollars to get the OFFICIAL solution.
My arguement is, if the pen should become defective for whatever reason during or after the warranty period.
Bluelabs will probably honnor a replacement in the event that something goes wrong.

Perhaps the final and correct answer is,....
Will other products as Olderfart proposes work,...Most probably...will it damage the pen (don't think so).
Can you save a few $,...for sure.
Is it worth the $ savings,...that is a question only you can answer.

My arguement is that using company made products help with warranties should the need arise.

These companies compete for market share and product reputation ( in other words this very conversation we're having).

If my pen fails, but I've been using their products,...and report back to you that....out of warranty they replaced it.
That says alot, and is free advertising for them. ( especially in a site like this with a nich market ( yeah, you and I).

Just food for thought.
Anything is better than nothing,..but not RO or Especially tap water:nono:
Oh, I am sooooo tempted by the blue lab soil meter. Tempted, tempted. Haven't made the leap yet, so still driving by remote control via the Apera. I think my indoor grow last winter suffered a bit as a result. Knowing what the actual soil ph is seems like such a fine idea.

Oh, I am sooooo tempted by the blue lab soil meter. Tempted, tempted. Haven't made the leap yet, so still driving by remote control via the Apera. I think my indoor grow last winter suffered a bit as a result. Knowing what the actual soil ph is seems like such a fine idea.

As Ronny Reagan use to say...
Well...
It would actually be a true pleasure to make a video on the Bluelab PH pen.
I have Promix HP, Sunshine #4. which are both peat...CannaCoco and plenty of perlite.
I have 2 & 3 gallon airpots....2,3& 5 gallon smartpots to do the test.
What would you like to see as a video/test?
@Olderfart ?

Edit: I forgot to mention 80 plants ending vegg in my yard in all the aforementioned pots and configurations.
The plants have been fed 6.0 from the beginning till now.

Last edited:
As Ronny Reagan use to say...
Well...
It would actually be a true pleasure to make a video on the Bluelab PH pen.
I have Promix HP, Sunshine #4. which are both peat...CannaCoco and plenty of perlite.
I have 2 & 3 gallon airpots....2,3& 5 gallon smartpots to do the test.
What would you like to see as a video/test?
@Olderfart ?

Edit: I forgot to mention 80 plants ending vegg in my yard in all the aforementioned pots and configurations.
The plants have been fed 6.0 from the beginning till now.

Hey, I could not possibly refuse a kind offer like that. Any test video would be a fine thing in my books, I look forward to anything that you put together. Thanks doesn't cover it! :thanks:

80 plants? 80? How about a small tour while you have the camera rolling? 80 plants!?! Wow. How in the world do you manage the trimming?

Hey, I could not possibly refuse a kind offer like that. Any test video would be a fine thing in my books, I look forward to anything that you put together. Thanks doesn't cover it! :thanks:

80 plants? 80? How about a small tour while you have the camera rolling? 80 plants!?! Wow. How in the world do you manage the trimming?
wow 80 plants i hope you have help come harvest time growbro

@St. Tom @Olderfart

I'd be lying if I said it was easy....lol...
We're lucky cause its only been in the mid 70's these days ( 23c for my Brit buddies).
Sunny days require 6x 4 gallon mixes in the morning and another 6 after supper ( 48 gallons a day,...or 217 liters daily).
But I'm presently unemployed with the covid BS,...and I enjoy the trouble.

Not having a fixed objective.
I think I'm going to produce several scenarios to properly evaluate what the PH pen can/ CANNOT do.
I'll work on the videos this aft.
Having a project gives meaning to life right now.

This may turn out to be several (3 or 4) videos for this all to make sense.
Should be fun ,and a learning experience for all..

Hey " M" @Builder0101 , take notes dude, this is serious shit you may want to sit up straight and listen ...
Like I know what I'm doing and trying to sound like I do.....:crying:

@St. Tom @Olderfart

I'd be lying if I said it was easy....lol...
We're lucky cause its only been in the mid 70's these days ( 23c for my Brit buddies).
Sunny days require 6x 4 gallon mixes in the morning and another 6 after supper ( 48 gallons a day,...or 217 liters daily).
But I'm presently unemployed with the covid BS,...and I enjoy the trouble.

Not having a fixed objective.
I think I'm going to produce several scenarios to properly evaluate what the PH pen can/ CANNOT do.
I'll work on the videos this aft.
Having a project gives meaning to life right now.

This may turn out to be several (3 or 4) videos for this all to make sense.
Should be fun ,and a learning experience for all..

Hey " M" @Builder0101 , take notes dude, this is serious shit you may want to sit up straight and listen ...
Like I know what I'm doing and trying to sound like I do.....:crying:
I dream about polyculture and regenerstive farming every day. Keeps me up at night. Beef, chickens, pigs, veggies, fruit trees, compost...
How much land you have. Can I come be a farmer?
I could grow some cannabis as well

Nah, sorry @Builder0101 ,
My property is only 55,000 Sq.Ft. ( 5100 Sq.M)
Half of which is already dedicated to the grow ( after negotiating with my wife :doh: )
Local laws obligate me to have it fenced in for security reasons (which I do, so my dog doesn't get stoned).

This is part of the problem with our new cannabis laws in Canada.
Every one can grow 4 plants ( recreational),...PLUS your medical license limit ( in my case 75 plants).
So the punks next door to me don't wanna steal my pot,.....they want me to grow it for them ( little f*ckers:smoking:).

Back