Bluelab pH pen, and Mars hydro ts1000 questions.

GreenMersh

Just a guy and his dog.
Reaction score
Hello, fairly new grower here. I have 3 grows under my belt and this year I've upgraded my set up from a 2.5x2.5x5 to a 5x5x6. Adding a new Mars hydro ts1000 in with my old 300w viparspectra and Mars LEDs so 3 lights in total for the new tent. A couple of my questions being, is two 300w LEDs and the TS1000 sufficient for a 5x5. Also will mixing the blurples and the white led affect anything? Trying to run 5 autos max in the tent, in 3 gallon pots. Now onto the blue lab pH pen, do I absolutely have to buy the storage solution with it ? And also will any name brand calibration fluid work as long as it's 4.0, and 7.0 solution?.

It's a bit large of a space for 350ish watts total. Vipar spectra and mars don't report true wattage. In my opinion it would be more suited to 4 plants with your leds. I think any cal fluids will be ok. I have a blue labs pen and I don't use their stuff. I don't think any problems mixing the lights either..

Gl.

You don't have to use the storage solution but your pen will last much longer with it's use. Calibration fluid brand does not matter.

You don't have to use the storage solution but your pen will last much longer with it's use. Calibration fluid brand does not matter.
Could I just store it in tap water instead ?

You're stonder :rofl:.

It's a bit large of a space for 350ish watts total. Vipar spectra and mars don't report true wattage. In my opinion it would be more suited to 4 plants with your leds. I think any cal fluids will be ok. I have a blue labs pen and I don't use their stuff. I don't think any problems mixing the lights either..

Gl.
The actual watts of the cheaper LEDs were said to be 130 each. Idk how true that is though, I'll probably stick to 4 plants this run considering my light set up. I hope having a bigger tent than my lights are suited for won't affect anything though, gonna try a few mephisto strains out.

Could I just store it in tap water instead ?
Absolutely not. Storage in plain water of any kind will bugger your sensor. The Bluelab storage solution is likely a solution of Potassium Chloride, which you can buy and mix on your own for a tiny fraction of the cost of the official stuff. If you can find out the concentration of the Bluelab stuff, you can mix your own. I use 3 molar for my Apera, and so far, so good. Mixing recipes are online for molar concentrations of KCL.

I suspect, but do not know, that the official stuff includes some sort of preservative/cleaner that prevents stuff from growing or building up on your sensor. The KCL stuff that I mixed does seem to develop some sort of contamination over time, but I deal with it by just using fresh stuff periodically. If you do not want to mix your own, or buy the official stuff, you can use the pH4 or 7 buffer solution for storage. Here is an article on the issue: https://www.westlab.com/blog/2017/11/29/what-is-the-correct-way-to-store-a-ph-electrode

Bottom line is don't ever let the probe dry out, and store it in either KCL storage solution or buffer solution, NOT plain, RO, or distilled water.

Last edited:
I run both of your setups.
More lights is always better, providing you don't burn the plants, (use judgement and look at the plants for burning).
Enough said on that.:deadhorse:

As for the Bluelab PH pen.
I agree fully with everything that @Olderfart has said.
I have the soil ph pen from blue labs.
The pen cost me about $200, without regrets,....its worth its weight in gold for my grows and accuracy.
Having said that, ($200 later), I don't mind spending the extra few dollars to get the OFFICIAL solution.
My arguement is, if the pen should become defective for whatever reason during or after the warranty period.
Bluelabs will probably honnor a replacement in the event that something goes wrong.

Perhaps the final and correct answer is,....
Will other products as Olderfart proposes work,...Most probably...will it damage the pen (don't think so).
Can you save a few $,...for sure.
Is it worth the $ savings,...that is a question only you can answer.

My arguement is that using company made products help with warranties should the need arise.

These companies compete for market share and product reputation ( in other words this very conversation we're having).

If my pen fails, but I've been using their products,...and report back to you that....out of warranty they replaced it.
That says alot, and is free advertising for them. ( especially in a site like this with a nich market ( yeah, you and I).

Just food for thought.
Anything is better than nothing,..but not RO or Especially tap water:nono:

lots of meters says different things the calibration fluids any brand will work also i own a bluelab combi meter and that says if you haven't got storage solution use tap water and not ro or distilled water also i own a Hanna ph meter and that says if you dont have the storage solution you can you the 4.0 calibration fluid to store it in

Back