New Grower AutoCobs/AutoPots in 4x4 Tent, Unboxing and Setup

SPZ

All Systems Grow
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Northern Cheese Haze
Hi all,

After studying some of the masters at work here on AFN I feel like I’m ready to setup my first indoor grow. :worship:

I’ve received a whole raft of grow kit recently and I'm in the process of setting it up in my basement. I thought I’d share the whole unboxing and install process (with lots of pics) to help out anyone who is just getting into the hobby like I am. If any of you veterans out there have tips, bring ‘em! I should be starting my first grow journal soon, once I’m done with the construction phase! Let me try and catch you up to where I am now... first, the overall setup:

Grow Area
4'x4'x6' Grow Tent
6" Exhaust Fan and Carbon Filter

Lighting
6 X AutoCob 55W

Pots
4x15L Autopots

Medium
Roots Organics Compressed Coco
Perlite
Expanded Clay Pebbles

Nutrients
Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect Sensi Grow/Boom
Advanced Nutrients Hobbyist Grower Bundle
Voodoo Juice
Big Bud
B 52
Overdrive​
Grotek Pro-Silicate
General Hydroponics CALiMAGic

Boy let me tell you this was a lot more stuff than I expected. I ordered everything online from a combination of vendors, so the boxes just started showing up on my doorstep. There was a pile taller than me by the time I had them all stacked up (wish I'd taken a picture). My friend laughed his ass off when he came over he saw the pile of boxes with the big one in the middle labeled "AutoPot".

I can tell you now that I pretty much blew my budget right out the door. No regrets, I'm a busy professional and as much as I'd like to build the lights and hydro setup myself, it makes more sense for me to spend a little extra for a turnkey solution. I also feel like I got some really flexible and top notch gear with the autocobs and autopots (more on those later). One thing that surprised me though was how much the little shit adds up. Nutes, medium, vent ducting, clamps, pumps, extra irrigation hose, it all costs money and if you're just starting out be prepared to spend more than you planned.

Smoke break, pics coming shortly.... :smoking:

Last edited:
OK, I'm going to start out with the autocobs I purchased from @BigSm0 here on AFN! Let me say that if you are looking for some lights you should PM BigSm0, he will hook you up! He helped me decide between products and get the optimal number of lights for my grow space, plus gave me a great price on a set of six. I'm really excited about the cobs because of the energy efficiency and the flexibility. I can use these for the tent or for supplemental light in a possible future greenhouse project. The total package is 330W actual (55W per light) and some dudes on the forums are pulling like 1.8g per watt with these puppies, if I get half that I'll be like :jump:

The cobs shipped priority the the day I ordered them (Monday) and they were waiting for me today when I got home from work, SWEET!

All six AutoCobs were packed in two surprisingly small but heavy unmarked boxes:
IMG_20170517_181924139.jpg

Contents of the boxes, two cobs in one box, four in the other.
IMG_20170517_182348274.jpg

Contents exploded: six lights, three two-packs of hangers, and a sticker! No assembly required!
IMG_20170517_184017687.jpg

Here's a closeup of the light. It has a tiny black and red wire that run into the housing. Presumably the COB itself is replaceable when it wears out.
IMG_20170517_184547494.jpg

Here's the top of the unit. It has a plastic casing for the electronics and a reinforced hang loop that fits the supplied hangers perfectly. These things are built like a tank!
IMG_20170517_184531643.jpg

Careful inspection revealed no shipping damage and all six lights turned on and shone with a bright white light. Time will tell how they grow for me but they make a great first impression! It's nap time for me, but stay tuned, tomorrow evening I will post more pics. Up next are the AutoPots...

Even every superbly prepared journey starts with the first step.... Looks like small chance of any sprained ankles on this one due to material hazards.... :thumbsup:

But.... Ermmm.... Wot kinda flowers, if any....., are you proposing to propagate in this supercharged setting.... Lol

Can't wait to see what mayhem ensues.... Good luck :toke:

Welcome to the [HASHTAG]#AutocobLife[/HASHTAG] brethren! Sit back, grab a cold, frosty beverage, and let the lights do the heavy lifting!! Since you're using coco you'll have a little work to do yourself! Hahaa.. Im subbed up Gromie! Awesome set up!

Last edited:
Even every superbly prepared journey starts with the first step.... Looks like small chance of any sprained ankles on this one due to material hazards.... :thumbsup:

But.... Ermmm.... Wot kinda flowers, if any....., are you proposing to propagate in this supercharged setting.... Lol

Can't wait to see what mayhem ensues.... Good luck :toke:

Haha, that's the reason for my avatar--safety first! Don't want to strain anything lifting the big buds that hopefully come outta this thing!

Speaking of strains :eyebrows: that is the question that is tops in my mind right now! I could get some clones locally and in that case I'd grow Afghan Kush (AK) or San Fernando Valley Kush X ChemDog (SFV), which are some faves that I have access to. I'm considering ordering seeds if I can figure out how to buy them online and have them shipped to Mass. It looks like truenorthseedbank.com has a selection of breeders and will ship stateside. Any recommendations for a seed bank and/or a good strain for a first time grow chime in! I'm going for something high yield, high potency to blow this tent up!

Welcome to the [HASHTAG]#AutocobLife[/HASHTAG] brethren! Sit back, grab a cold, frosty beverage, and let the lights do the heavy lifting!! Since you're using coco you'll have a little work to do yourself! Hahaa.. Im subbed up Gromie! Awesome set up!

Welcome brother :welcome: and thanks for the tag!

Yeah I'm hoping this setup runs on autopilot cause I'd forget to water myself if I didn't get thirsty! I'm getting a head start hoisting some buds and suds after work with my crew, more pics when I get home...

Wow spz! I can't thank you enough for the updates so far. Its nice to sit back and watch your excitement with the lights as I remember building them a little over a week ago, then boxing and shipping them to now where they sit ready to grow some amazing plants.

You are absolutely right about the cost of things too. If your anything like I am which I think you are it only gets worse lol. Buy the best now because you will absolutely regret a 20 dollar ph pen in a couple weeks. Once it's all together and growing like a mad house it will all be worth it.

Thanks again and surely following closely.

Spz I forgot to mention the lights have a 3 year warranty too. If there is indeed a failure I'll get a new one out to you within 3-4 days time. Also if there is ever some new super cob to hit the market I'm sure it could be fit in the citizens place that's in the autocob now.

Back