New Grower Auto Ultimate and Auto Blue Amnesia XXL Grow Journal

Cool tubes did not exist when I used MH(35 years ago) , in fact I don't remember being able to dim it either. I think that is too close but we need someone that uses MH nowadays to chime in here. @Ripper @Waira you guys using these or know somebody that does. I remember the hand test but I don't know how a cool tube might affect the outcome of that?
No mh for me and no cool tubes either

So I did a little research and found this "rule of thumb chart" and it looks like you may be too close?

ScreenHunter_128 Apr. 13 16.51.jpg

Day 43

Hello all! Time for a few pics.

The deficiency/light stress spread to a new leaf but is hopefully grinding to a halt since raising the light and feeding calmag. I think the stretch is just about done so I'm swapping to 400v HPS tomorrow. The blue amnesia kinda looks like 2 plants because one of the side colas went crazy. I think I'm just going to do one plant in this space next time. I was thinking maybe dutch passion glueberry og. I'm looking for something sativa dominant which is good for LST and topping. I'm most interested in dutch passion, dinafem and mephisto. Anyone got any suggestions?

IMG_20180418_233503.jpg

IMG_20180418_233518.jpg

IMG_20180418_233554.jpg

IMG_20180418_233600.jpg

IMG_20180418_233606.jpg

IMG_20180418_233647.jpg

Hi guys, now on day 48. I still seem to be having a deficiency/light problems. The light is as high as it can go at 12 inches. I halved the calmag 3 days ago because I was worried I was giving it too much, too often, so the reduction could be a cause.

I think there's also a possibility the soil could be a little too acidic. I'm going to do a runoff test tomorrow (I've heard it's not that accurate though). I did one 2-3 weeks ago. The pH in was 6.3 and out at 6.0. How likely is it that one plant has a pH problem, when i use the same soil, nutes and pH'd water for both? Could it be a case of different strains and different tolerances again? Or are different strains generally the same in respect to pH tolerance?

I'll update tomorrow with pH results and pictures.

Day 49

Hello folks, the affected area is to the left side of the ultimate, high up at the top of the side cola canopy and not directly under the light. It affects 2 leaves (the ones in the pictures) and one higher leaf only slightly. I Will do a pH test next watering, I was expecting to get some runoff with 3L of water in 11L pots like i did last time, but nothing actually came through the bottom of the pot.

I included a light dose of black treacle in today's feed, now I'm just waiting to see if it makes a difference. There was a few yellow bottom leaves falling off the BA from what looks like N deficiency so I changed from 4ml bloom to 3ml bloom and 1ml grow.

Total nutrients last feed ml/L
1 grow
3 bloom
1 PK
1 calmag
small dose of black treacle

Every plant I have ever grown apart from the BA has had red stalks whether I use playgron/plant magic supreme soil, biobizz/plant magic older timer nutes. Could this be something to do with my tap water? It does seem very high at ~8.4pH and very low after nutes at 4.8-5.5pH and I have to use quite a bit of potassium bicarbonate to raise it to ~6.3pH. Could this be affecting the NPK ratio?

Anyway... the buds seem to be swelling at a decent rate as far as this novice can see.

IMG_20180424_215825.jpg

IMG_20180424_183040.jpg

IMG_20180424_170259.jpg

IMG_20180424_170249.jpg

IMG_20180424_170108.jpg

Blue Amnesia
IMG_20180424_170208.jpg

Ultimate
IMG_20180424_170153.jpg

And finally some seeds for next grow. I went for the 2 for 1 dinafem offer. Thanks for the promotion @Dinafem-Mark !
IMG_20180424_184609.jpg

I'm thinking of doing 2 WWXXL indoors and either 2 blue criticals or 2 blue amnesia's outdoors. Which blue strain do you think would do better in a UK climate?

Hello all, I did a runoff test today. The pH'd water going in was at 7,came out at 5.8 and was fairly dark (close to apple juice). As far as I can tell I have 2 options: Flushing next watering (these nutrients are meant to be organic so I don't know if this is a good idea) or top dressing powdered dolomite lime (which might take a week or more to raise the pH).

Hello all, I did a runoff test today. The pH'd water going in was at 7,came out at 5.8 and was fairly dark (close to apple juice). As far as I can tell I have 2 options: Flushing next watering (these nutrients are meant to be organic so I don't know if this is a good idea) or top dressing powdered dolomite lime (which might take a week or more to raise the pH).

5.8 PH is a little low for coco/soil but not too bad. This is a problem of using nutrients from different sources. I preach all the time to new growers to choose a product line designed for cannabis and use that entire line exclusively based on their feeding chart. Flushing soil/coco grows just adds to the problems because you are messing up the microorganisms that have become established in the pot. What to do from here is anybody's guess. I would just continue feeding with PHed water at the top of recommended PH 7.0 with all of the nutrients in balance. One thing that can help is to condition your water by aerating and PHing it a couple of days before using it. Learn about liebig's law of the minimums; it will help you understand why using a single nutrient vendor is so important. All of the components of the fertilizer needs to remain in a balance. These vendors spend millions of dollars with some of the best minds in the field of plant nutrition to develop products that work together. Leverage that knowledge for your benefit.

5.8 PH is a little low for coco/soil but not too bad. This is a problem of using nutrients from different sources. I preach all the time to new growers to choose a product line designed for cannabis and use that entire line exclusively based on their feeding chart. Flushing soil/coco grows just adds to the problems because you are messing up the microorganisms that have become established in the pot. What to do from here is anybody's guess. I would just continue feeding with PHed water at the top of recommended PH 7.0 with all of the nutrients in balance. One thing that can help is to condition your water by aerating and PHing it a couple of days before using it. Learn about liebig's law of the minimums; it will help you understand why using a single nutrient vendor is so important. All of the components of the fertilizer needs to remain in a balance. These vendors spend millions of dollars with some of the best minds in the field of plant nutrition to develop products that work together. Leverage that knowledge for your benefit.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! My nutes and soil are all from the same company and line (plant magic old timer) apart from the calmag I started adding when I saw problems and they are specifically for MJ as far as I know, although I suspect I could be using some pretty old stuff. The calmag seems to have made no difference or could have even made it worse, it's hard to tell. I've been following plant magic's schedule for photos which I reduced slightly for a autoflower time period. I probably should have mentioned somewhere I am using aerated water via a fish tank pump. Thanks for the heads up on liebig, I'll have a read in bed!

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! My nutes and soil are all from the same company and line (plant magic old timer) apart from the calmag I started adding when I saw problems and they are specifically for MJ as far as I know, although I suspect I could be using some pretty old stuff. The calmag seems to have made no difference or could have even made it worse, it's hard to tell. I've been following plant magic's schedule for photos which I reduced slightly for a autoflower time period. I probably should have mentioned somewhere I am using aerated water via a fish tank pump. Thanks for the heads up on liebig, I'll have a read in bed!
I just looked up "Plant Magic" I had never heard of it before. They have an entire line of products for the various styles of growing. Are you using the entire line for soil? It looks like they have 10 components for the "Ultimate soil grow".

Back