Auto topping thread,pushing the auto limits;)

Good day growers im a master photo and auto grower.but my passion is with autoflower seeds.i been on a mission for 5 years growing now trying diffrent methods of training on autos to see what they truly behold.truth is autos aint no diffrent to a normal plant other than they flower on there own.u can top lst supercrop and defol autos with monster results if done at the correct time.oviously every plant is diffrent so always use the seed info as a rough guide;) and a short plant can yield just as much as a tall plant;) in this thread i will show u all along the way of the true limits of autos and there true potential as i grow them for u all to see;).also if ur an auto grower who likes to push the limits,do speak up and all pics of ur autos and talk and all questions welcome on pushing the auto limits.here a few examples of the results achived topping an auto young followed by later lst.few heavy defols along the way ,gives u an army of dominant colas and a big heavy yield.and a beautiful plant.here is automazar topped and lstd;)
_20160929_163743.JPG
_20160929_163801.JPG
_20160929_163846.JPG
_20160929_163908.JPG
_20160929_163945.JPG
_20160929_164001.JPG

I topped her underneath the 5th, I winced said sorry and then sprayed her with the kelp. I hope I haven't been to brutal :shrug:

Attachments

• topped.jpg
    topped.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 78
  • The Top.jpg
    The Top.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 78
Do you think I'm best off topping underneath the 5th now @philbrownell05?,@autobeast, I didn't realise just how thick that trunk was until I dived in. It's almost half a plant now on the 4th, I should of done it a few days back and pistols have started to show.
That's gonna be a decent wound for the plant to heal no matter where you cut it. That's a THICK stalk for the reported age! When you cut it try to cover the top with a small piece of non adhesive gauze over the topping site. Help it to keep out pathogens until it seals the wound. Space saver I would still go 4th node. And top as close to the 2 side chutes at the 4th node as you can without damaging them.

Edit: just saw this. And that should work fine for ya.

Reactions: DOA
That's gonna be a decent wound for the plant to heal no matter where you cut it. That's a THICK stalk for the reported age! When you cut it try to cover the top with a small piece of non adhesive gauze over the topping site. Help it to keep out pathogens until it seals the wound. Space saver I would still go 4th node. And top as close to the 2 side chutes at the 4th node as you can without damaging them.

Edit: just saw this. And that should work fine for ya.
Thanks for your help :toke: , I couldn't find anything suitable for a dressing so used good old Aloe Vera :smoking:

Wow, i just went through 233 pages about 4 years of growth. That was a long and very informative read. Thank you autobeast for spreading the word. I know my next grow will benefit to the fullest from yours (and everyone that contributed) shared knowledge.

Before I stumbled into AFN I thought I knew enough to just grow a plant when I started my first grow and learned some tough lessons (nute lockout, bleaching and a seriously botched cure). I originally just wanted to keep her short due to my space so I read some info about topping at the 7th node and that was what I tried to follow. This thread has really showed a refined process whoes knowledge can only be achieved through hard work and determination and a bit of luck. Cheers Man!

Here's my current grow. Unfortunately I found you a bit late and I topped her at the 6th node about 35 days in. On top of nute lockout again... (bought a quality pen but will be shopping for some Biobizz next round. Adjusting pH is a pain). She is doing ok now. Just not sure if she is in preflower stretch or flowering.
Grow, Live, Learn, Repeat
Welcome thanks for the kind words.ur in the right hands now.may I ask were u read to top at the 7th node! Just sounds so wrong. And people spreading false really painfull for me to see.may ur grow be a heavy yield.happy growing every1;)

Welcome thanks for the kind words.ur in the right hands now.may I ask were u read to top at the 7th node! Just sounds so wrong. And people spreading false really painfull for me to see.may ur grow be a heavy yield.happy growing every1;)
I cant even say for sure. I have been reading so much about so many different things, it's tough to keep track much less trust. But you prove it with great results! Looking forward to learning and improving my process.

From my own experiences I feel that 4 pairs of branches work best, i.e. top at forth node. However I will top at fifth node if it looks like the first two branches don't look very strong. Topping at 3 has produced very good results, and I have topped at second node giving four branches when putting two or three plants in one pot. If you're already up to the seventh node then I would not top, just let it do it's normal thing, maybe grow another bean of the same type which you can top and use as a comparison.

Ok. 2 nodes time to start LST. Begin by tugging the stalk bottom toward the close side of the pot. Tomorrow once she has aimed herself to the light again grab her top and pull it toward the far side.
20210408_171911.jpg
16179205019201809358958261326224.jpg

The other 2 babies are not as strong. I'll wait for the 3rd node to develop so the roots are more established b4 tugging at them.

From my own experiences I feel that 4 pairs of branches work best, i.e. top at forth node. However I will top at fifth node if it looks like the first two branches don't look very strong. Topping at 3 has produced very good results, and I have topped at second node giving four branches when putting two or three plants in one pot. If you're already up to the seventh node then I would not top, just let it do it's normal thing, maybe grow another bean of the same type which you can top and use as a comparison.
I ended up topping before I found you guys. I would guess i topped on day 33. I think its stunted. I'm at day 61 today and it's kind of flowering but I think it still wants to stretch some more. I will veg nute today and probably change to bloom nutes next week. This is only my second grow but I kind of cant wait to start another one with the correct timing.

Attachments

• 20210408_070112.jpg
    20210408_070112.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
  • 20210408_070144.jpg
    20210408_070144.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • 20210408_070156.jpg
    20210408_070156.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
Here's the Lemon Kix 24hrs after topping and dressing the wound. I used a little aloe vera then again an hour later a dab of Manuka honey.

The Chocolate Kush is on track, day 11 today and about to show the 3rd node, she'll also be getting topped. :smoking:

Attachments

• Wound.jpg
    Wound.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 24hrs.jpg
    24hrs.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 54
  • forest.jpg
    forest.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 53
  • CK11.jpg
    CK11.jpg