Auto topping thread,pushing the auto limits;)

Good day growers im a master photo and auto grower.but my passion is with autoflower seeds.i been on a mission for 5 years growing now trying diffrent methods of training on autos to see what they truly behold.truth is autos aint no diffrent to a normal plant other than they flower on there own.u can top lst supercrop and defol autos with monster results if done at the correct time.oviously every plant is diffrent so always use the seed info as a rough guide;) and a short plant can yield just as much as a tall plant;) in this thread i will show u all along the way of the true limits of autos and there true potential as i grow them for u all to see;).also if ur an auto grower who likes to push the limits,do speak up and all pics of ur autos and talk and all questions welcome on pushing the auto limits.here a few examples of the results achived topping an auto young followed by later lst.few heavy defols along the way ,gives u an army of dominant colas and a big heavy yield.and a beautiful plant.here is automazar topped and lstd;)
_20160929_163743.JPG
_20160929_163801.JPG
_20160929_163846.JPG
_20160929_163908.JPG
_20160929_163945.JPG
_20160929_164001.JPG

Tell that to @autobeast he's the one in charge of it. I suggested this to him last night and he told me to leave it so yeah I'm leaving it. Thanks for the input though us noobs have the same attitude. We are going to be doing another Defol but just not yet waiting for stretch to finish that big Defol and lower leaf removed. Not producing bud so leaving the leaves on to Maximise the last days of stretch. Happy Growing Gang.
Everyday Growing is a Day Learning

I'd be defoliating that baby, bigtime. Lots of energy wasted on that lower leaf. And its blocking bud sites.

Low leaf and inner leaf got to go......if u want big phat colas and lots of them.
Not true at all u should know by now.this plant is still in.full veg mode.and needs all her leafs right now.for the best possible stretch.she is not in.bud mode, so there is no budsites yet!! After stretch has finished.then the plant will.begin to flower.this is the time were u give her preflower defol and remove all.bottom growth.for best bud production and indeed no wasted energy on buds sites that will.never be anything but popcorn.happy growing every1;)

I defoliate heavily. Always have. And I get $15 a gram the past 3 yrs.

No junk in MY trunk. I hope auto potency matches up to photo. We shall see I guess.

Treating my autos the same way I treat my photos. The only difference I see is autos drink a bit more water.

Last edited:
First time with autoflowers! It has been pretty difficult journey. 6 blackberrys and 6 northern lights from fastbuds, only two norths was something like i was looking for. These two are almost seven weeks old now and still not flowering, is that unusual? Height is about 62cm, stems are rock hard. Growing in lightmix with aptus nutrients. Here is pics of them, untopped and topped:
View attachment 1283803View attachment 1283804View attachment 1283810
Same sisters on propably week 13 or something. Lights are now on 16/8 and preflowers are there! They also got 6gal buckets now
IMG_20210310_172517.jpg
IMG_20210310_171801.jpg

@autobeast I was wondering if I can get your gut reaction so far from your experiences the precise best time to top. I do not mean at what node, I mean once the node is selected. Lately I've just without thinking simply topping as soon as I could get a scalpel in for a nice clean cut. Cut. However being lazy I have used my nails and mashed things a bit but not to the point of doing any damage.

However I am wondering if there's hormone shit going on under the surface that timing the snip makes a difference. I have noticed that when I top at the first chance it appears that the lower pair of branches get the boost too soon. I'm wondering if it's better, hormone wise, to maybe give it a few more days, before topping to give some more branch surpassing hormones to store up in the top bud. Or maybe the opposite, maybe it's good to top early to hold the hormones up a bit.

Curious about that too, couple of mine grow like that as well

@autobeast I was wondering if I can get your gut reaction so far from your experiences the precise best time to top. I do not mean at what node, I mean once the node is selected. Lately I've just without thinking simply topping as soon as I could get a scalpel in for a nice clean cut. Cut. However being lazy I have used my nails and mashed things a bit but not to the point of doing any damage.

However I am wondering if there's hormone shit going on under the surface that timing the snip makes a difference. I have noticed that when I top at the first chance it appears that the lower pair of branches get the boost too soon. I'm wondering if it's better, hormone wise, to maybe give it a few more days, before topping to give some more branch surpassing hormones to store up in the top bud. Or maybe the opposite, maybe it's good to top early to hold the hormones up a bit.
The perfect time for topping a healthy young I have found is day 18. .as u say its all about perfect timing.all the best from me.happy growing every1;)

The perfect time for topping a healthy young I have found is day 18. .as u say its all about perfect timing.all the best from me.happy growing every1;)

Yeah what I'm going to be checking out some day is the three shots below shot my recently topped Brooklyn Sunrise, she's been topped by fingernail at the minimum time, there's a shot and then one 12 hours later then one 3 days later. Now what I'm wondering is what sort of a difference if any in the grow pattern would this delay make. This is apart from the delay itself.

When I didn't think about it it seemed natural to try and top it as earlier as you can at the node you choose, why wait. But I'm just questioning that now. Wondering if you've thought about it with regards if a three day delay in whatever hormones the plant shifts around to accomodate the topping would change the way the plant ends up growing. I don't know one way or the other.
top growth - 1.jpeg
top growth - 2.jpeg
top growth - 3.jpeg

Here's a Fb Jack Herer grown the Autobeast way - it's done way better than all my other attempts in the last 7 months (by a lot). I'm at week 8 - but not sure what to do next. Should I continue feeding for a fortnight then have the last week just water? Or just water from now on? Nice one Autobeast your techniques work in my grow space - big time! (For me.)
IMG_20210323_220324.jpg
IMG_20210323_220324.jpg

Here's a Fb Jack Herer grown the Autobeast way - it's done way better than all my other attempts in the last 7 months (by a lot). I'm at week 8 - but not sure what to do next. Should I continue feeding for a fortnight then have the last week just water? Or just water from now on? Nice one Autobeast your techniques work in my grow space - big time! (For me.)View attachment 1299888View attachment 1299888
She’s looking good, I have Jacks from FB for my next run after seeing Beasts Jack Sisters. :smoking:

Back