Indoor Auto Pots, Blueberry Domina, and Hubbabubbasmelloscope!

Hey Pop22,
Couple of quick questions for you.
Are you going to use a coarse material in the bottoms of your Autopots?
Ie; hydroton or pebbles?
I will watch the Mfr's video's on it.
I just don't see a valid argument for them due to the surface tension differences in the materials.
The nutrient inlets are only slits, and the Autovalve only lets in approx. 3/4 " solution per cycle.
Does the bottom of the pot flood because of the hydroton and its large air spaces?
And then the coco wicks from the bottom hydroton res area?
Looking forward to your ideas as I think it's counter-intuitive to put anything in the pot but a wicking medium.
What are you going to do?
Do you recall if Hans used Hydroton?
It's hard to argue with his results.
Thanks brother.

Pop,
Can you LST the shit out of it?
Maybe lose a foot or more in height that way.
That's what I always do.
It seems to increase my yield by 20-30% as well.
I love it.
Tie that bitch down!!!

I did put a small amount in. i will not after this and yes, we've come across the information. I had already speculated that the hydraulics involved could be that the interface between materials was an issue. Looks like i was right. I've heard that it was because of the use of airdomes, but that's not valid either. i'vw used Modular Hydro's AIT, a version of an airdome, in straight soil with good results.

Hey Pop22,
Couple of quick questions for you.
Are you going to use a coarse material in the bottoms of your Autopots?
Ie; hydroton or pebbles?
I will watch the Mfr's video's on it.
I just don't see a valid argument for them due to the surface tension differences in the materials.
The nutrient inlets are only slits, and the Autovalve only lets in approx. 3/4 " solution per cycle.
Does the bottom of the pot flood because of the hydroton and its large air spaces?
And then the coco wicks from the bottom hydroton res area?
Looking forward to your ideas as I think it's counter-intuitive to put anything in the pot but a wicking medium.
What are you going to do?
Do you recall if Hans used Hydroton?
It's hard to argue with his results.
Thanks brother.

I considered that but decided I just want to see a beautiful, natural plant. Maybe even something nice enough to get me a nomination to BOM/POM....lol! She's damn pretty no matter what! So the auto pots are moving to the bigger tent shortly!

Pop,
Can you LST the shit out of it?
Maybe lose a foot or more in height that way.
That's what I always do.
It seems to increase my yield by 20-30% as well.
I love it.
Tie that bitch down!!!

Yes sir,
More questions.
I just watched the Hydrostore.UK video about using hydroton and airdomes.
I agree with them but disagree at the same time.
I still have 2 weeks before planting for the greenhouse, maybe I will do a mock up of both ways( with and without a coarse medium) and see which seems best.
I have No electricity available for airdomes.
So that is out. However I don't want a soaked medium and I think that's why they use the coarser layer on the bottom.

You've seen my plants. No airdomes.....

Yes sir,
More questions.
I just watched the Hydrostore.UK video about using hydroton and airdomes.
I agree with them but disagree at the same time.
I still have 2 weeks before planting for the greenhouse, maybe I will do a mock up of both ways( with and without a coarse medium) and see which seems best.
I have No electricity available for airdomes.
So that is out. However I don't want a soaked medium and I think that's why they use the coarser layer on the bottom.

Well friends, here I go, venturing into the world of coco hydro! Figured I may as well give it a try and it seems a perfect fit for auto pots.
I scrubbed the growroom and my tent, bleached everything! I setup my new autopots today. I'm about ready to go! Going to wait a couple more days to start the seeds as I'm waiting on my nutrients, Grow More's Sea Grow.

View attachment 529364
man just saw thread, new grow adventure 22

I have yet to see any pesky roots poking their inquisitive tips into the tray, even with 150 cm + plants.
I suspect the "copper" on the root control disk is there to prevent any algea in the tray, rather than containing any roots on the lam.

I just got 6 more pots, only the pots sans tray and valve, idea being to veg 6 plants in those pits and then just simply swap them into the tray/valve in the bloom room. I forgot to order the root control disks, and just to vindicate that thoughtful oversight, I'll cut some root disks from garden variety mulch cover material..... This is what I do with Airpots too........ We'll see.

I just realised, I'm using 25 L XL Autopots, maybe root invasiveness is more of a risk, or possibility if you like, in the smaller Autopots.

Anyways, just for peace of mind and as I don't trust those spill trays tents typically comes with, some homemade trays made from EPDM pond liner, gorilla tape, some grommets and ties, are going in underneath the standard spill tray. That's the same material used for ponds and roofs with a 25 years warranty. Better safe than sorry...... With 200 l of potentially leaking water.....
like your beefed up catch basin

Back