Anyone Use AgroMax UVA Plus light(s) for Flower?

Cerebral Goo

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I know Man O Green uses two of these in his 4x6 setup. I believe he does 18/6 for the last four weeks in flower. I will be trying that this go round. Just wondering if anyone else uses these in a 4x4? I have 2 4' lamps on order, but wondering if that will be too much. Will call/email AgroMax tomorrow, but would like to see if anyone else has actual experience with these. Also, what size bulb, size tent/space, time of use, etc...

Thanks!!!

I have a single 2' agromax PureUV bulb in my tent. I run it in a 2.3x2.3 for about 1.5 hours broken up into 15 min increments. They are relatively cheap through htgsupply with a ballast/housing. I usually don't start using mine until around day 50, solidly middle of flowering and for the last 3-4 weeks. I really only have 2 grows that I finished with it on so I can't say for certain that it made a difference. It definitely seemed to and lots of actual testing suggests the same.

This is the agromax page for their UV bulb:

This is an article they post so take it with a grain of salt but! There are some suggested run times etc.

I have a new 4x4 that I am just waiting on parts to get up and running. I will probably run the solacure UV in there. Since the new setup will have one of those adjustable rail/bar style lamps, i was thinking to slip the UV lamps between the light rails. If you shoot the solacure guy an email he mentioned to me having available a thinner ballast for easier fitment. Might be worth a look also.

Solacure page:

:pop:
I just ordered a Solarcure Flower Power for my next grow - I will update this thread after installation. I am kinda in the same boat - a 2x2.5 with a Mars FC3000 bar light taking up the whole tent. I'm going to hang mine above the Mars and get it as close as reasonably possible, I know there will be some occlusion but hopefully not too much.

I have a single 2' agromax PureUV bulb in my tent. I run it in a 2.3x2.3 for about 1.5 hours broken up into 15 min increments. They are relatively cheap through htgsupply with a ballast/housing. I usually don't start using mine until around day 50, solidly middle of flowering and for the last 3-4 weeks. I really only have 2 grows that I finished with it on so I can't say for certain that it made a difference. It definitely seemed to and lots of actual testing suggests the same.

This is the agromax page for their UV bulb:

This is an article they post so take it with a grain of salt but! There are some suggested run times etc.

I have a new 4x4 that I am just waiting on parts to get up and running. I will probably run the solacure UV in there. Since the new setup will have one of those adjustable rail/bar style lamps, i was thinking to slip the UV lamps between the light rails. If you shoot the solacure guy an email he mentioned to me having available a thinner ballast for easier fitment. Might be worth a look also.

Solacure page:

Hello Devil! I have the AgroMax Pure uv bulb. May have slipped your memory, but you had chimed in about those in a previous post. The Pure uv has UVA, but Man O Green also supplements with the Plus bulbs as well, to what he says, boost his terps. So, the Pure bulbs for trichs and THC and the Plus bulbs for the terps. Probably need to try to find some more studies, but I will defer to MOG's knowledge. He's been at it far longer than I. Monkey find smart monkey Then monkey see monkey do...

Thanks for the reply and I will post when I hear back from AgroMax

Haha yes, I forgot! I also didn't read carefully. I see what you're asking about now. He has quite the complete lineup doesn't he.

:pop:
I just ordered a Solarcure Flower Power for my next grow - I will update this thread after installation. I am kinda in the same boat - a 2x2.5 with a Mars FC3000 bar light taking up the whole tent. I'm going to hang mine above the Mars and get it as close as reasonably possible, I know there will be some occlusion but hopefully not too much.

Hi Mingus! What was rationale for the Solarcure over the AgroMax? I remember you posting something to that effect in another thread somewhere, but can't seem to find it in the search bar... I believe it was about the wavelengths or something to that effect.

Thanks for the reply!!!

believe it was about the wavelengths or something to that effect

Yes. Research suggests that you need wavelengths down to 285nm to activate the UVR8 protein which is (partially?) responsible for increased THC production. It appears the Argomax do not extend quite that far.

What remains unresolved is why people are seeing good results with the Agromax UV lamp if that is the case. Must be other proteins or gene expression at play. HTH, IMHO, YMMV, etc

Edit: Here is a previous thread summarizing some of the studies: Summary on the influence of UVB-radiation on cannabis | The Autoflower Network I make no representations as to whether the summaries are accurate. Also, I believe there are additional/more current studies out there. Haven't read them.

Last edited:
Just an update. Digging around I found this master's thesis published last year: UG ETD Template (uoguelph.ca) The author concludes (contra this study):

"UV radiation reduced total terpene concentrations and the size and proportion of apical inflorescences relative to other inflorescences on the plant in both cultivars. Cannabis growth (i.e., height increases and increases in number of nodes) was generally suppressed by UV radiation

"UV radiation had no commercially relevant benefits to inflorescence cannabinoid content, and the total terpene concentrations decreased linearly over the range of UV-PFDs evaluated"

This study (Cannabis Yield Increased Proportionally With Light Intensity, but Additional Ultraviolet Radiation Did Not Affect Yield or Cannabinoid Content) noted: "Although there were no UV spectrum effects on total equivalent Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (T-THC) content in leaves, the neutral form, THC, was 30% higher in UVA+UVB vs. control. While there were no LI effects on inflorescence T-THC content, the content of the acid form (THCA) increased by 20% and total terpenes content decreased by 20% as LI increased from 350 to 1400 μmol m-2 s-1. High LI can substantially increase cannabis yield and quality, but we found no commercially-relevant benefits of adding supplemental UV radiation to indoor cannabis production."

This one stated: "The total equivalent Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) concentrations also decreased in LT inflorescences with increasing UV exposure level. While the total terpene content in inflorescences decreased with increasing UV exposure level in both cultivars, the relative concentrations of individual terpenes varied by cultivar. The present study suggests that using UV radiation as a production tool did not lead to any commercially relevant benefits to cannabis yield or inflorescence secondary metabolite composition. " and explained:

"Preliminary controlled-environment studies, that were done about three decades ago, also alluded to the potential for UV to increase Δ9-THC concentration in cannabis foliar and floral tissues (Fairbairn and Liebmann, 1974; Lydon et al., 1987). However, the concentration of Δ9-THC in mature female cannabis inflorescence tissues (hereafter, inflorescence) has increased substantially over the past decades, with contemporary genotypes having ≈10 times higher Δ9-THC concentrations than the genotypes used in these older studies (Dujourdy and Besacier, 2017). Therefore, modern cannabis genotypes may function nearer to cannabis’ maximum capacity for producing Δ9-THC; which could impede their ability to further increase Δ9-THC production under an abiotic stress such as UV exposure, relative to older genotypes. "

Maybe we are near max D9 THC levels we can coax out of the plant no matter what you do.

I'm trying to drill down on the levels and spectra used in these studies to compare to what I am getting with my Solarcure 24" tubes and will update. For now, I am discontinuing UVA/UVB supplementation until I am more comfortable, especially with the potential terpene reduction.

Last edited:
Back