Anyone use side lights?

IMG_20230321_180241.jpg

Side lights surely increase light coverage/exposure, but this is somewhat limited by the leaves being in horizontal orientation relative to the light. There would presumably be even more if light exposure if the lights were placed underneath the plants or otherwise angled up.

Has anyone tried underneath supplemental lighting?

Side lights surely increase light coverage/exposure, but this is somewhat limited by the leaves being in horizontal orientation relative to the light. There would presumably be even more if light exposure if the lights were placed underneath the plants or otherwise angled up.

Has anyone tried underneath supplemental lighting?
Look just Two posts back at the top of the page(post31), I made up a underside light. I found the branch's that were close developed some browning of the surface, I figured that was a negative response so I stopped running it.

The leaves will turn to face the direction(sideways in my side lighting setup), that is providing the most photons. They are not aiming directly sideways but at about a 10-15degree angle aiming downwards.

Last edited:
hung them in opposing corners
I run mine (T5HO’s) in opposing corners too, but they work for my small space since they are low intensity (compared to LED) and low heat so leaves can get close without scorching. The only thing keeping me with them is I can swap out the bulbs to compliment the stage of cycle. I have 6500K, 3000K, PureUV (UVA/UVB), and a 10,000K “Finisher” spectrum T5 bulbs to swap in as needed.

I found the branch's that were close developed some browning of the surface, I figured that was a negative response so I stopped running it.
I was curious about underneath lighting too. With phototropism it likely would result in a negative response if there’s intense light above and below the canopy confusing the plant on which direction to grow and send nutes…interesting that you in fact observed it!

My opine on this (worth less than 1 grain of salt):
1) Plants in nature get the most intense light from above, so that should be your main light.
2) They get diffuse light from the sides, especially if there are things (sheds, structures, etc) reflecting light nearby…so this is reflective mylar walls and maybe low intense side lighting.
3) They get low intensity light from beneath that is reflected from the Earth’s surface. This would be mylar or some reflective surface under your plant kicking up any light that penetrated the canopy (from your main light).

I’m no Dr Bruce Bugbee so take it as my opinion and nothing more, grow on growmigos :thumbsup:
:pass:✌️

Regarding underneath supplemental lighting:

a) Might it work, the leaves retain their usual orientation towards the above light, if more and low(er) intensity lights are used? Or if a tent is specifically set up to reflect more light from above and/or the sides, maybe including the plant pots elevated and more space around them, maybe with parabolic or similar reflectors focusing light into the canopy (with this also possible outside)?

b) If with supplemental underneath lighting the leaves, presumably those in the lower portion of the plant, do orient themselves towards the bottom lights, is that bad? But much as with light from above, won't the leaves retain the same optimal light absorption right angle (relative to the light) horizontal orientation - that is retain much their usual horizontal orientation?

Last edited:

a) Might it work, the leaves retain their usual orientation towards the above light, if more and low(er) intensity lights are used? Or if a tent is specifically set up to reflect more light from above and/or the sides, maybe including the plant pots elevated and more space around them, maybe with parabolic or similar reflectors focusing light into the canopy (with this also possible outside)?

b) If with supplemental underneath lighting the leaves, presumably those in the lower portion of the plant, do orient themselves towards the bottom lights, is that bad? But much as with light from above, won't the leaves retain the same optimal light absorption right angle (relative to the light) horizontal orientation - that is retain much their usual horizontal orientation?
Does the the sun move.....it hits plants at all angles.....

Plants can photosynthesize light from the bottom of the leaf, hell even the stems can photosythisize to some degree. But if there is a bunch of surface area being shaded by the amount of foliage above it, couldnt supplemental light help photosynthesis below the main canopy if light is introduced underneath? I would think so. Its not about changing or equally supplying light from below, its about bringing par down below where the main light no longer reaches or reaches inefficiently.

Back