Outdoor Almost there! Questions before starting my first outdoor grow

Slugs usually like things damp. I've never had a problem with them on MJ plants. Spider mites like buds. They will form a web inside the bud and start chewing on the leaves. If left unchecked, they will totally destroy all the buds on a plant, leaving their little turds behind. Two years ago they destroyed 4 of 8 photo plants I had in a remote area, and that while I was checking them weekly. I've also had problems with caterpillars. They can chew right through the stem, usually near the top of the bud. Or they will burrow into the bud and start eating it from the inside out.

Your best chance of success will be checking the plants at least once a week so you can respond to any issues quickly before they get out of hand.

Thanks for the advice guys! Really helpful.

Another question I had: I'm planning on spraying a delicate soap/insecticide mixture on the plants once they're planted, but what are the negative effects of spider mites,other mites and slugs? I know they cause damage but I'm interested in what kind of damage. Also, once a plant has mites can you get rid of them without destroying the bud quality or damaging the flowering process?

I was thinking about spacing 10-12 plants across my plot (probably 20 sq. feet). Do you think this gives me a fair chance of having a solid amount of bud come mid-June? I'm hoping to have at least 6 mature plants when I return.

Again, thanks a lot, without you guys this would be a fleeting thought not a current project!

Thanks for the help, I'm definitely going with feminized seeds, so I'm not too worried about that. Trust me, if I had to way to check on them I would treat them like babies, unfortunately this is the only way I can work this out. I've decided to go with 15 plants though, and I'm spreading them out across two little plots so hopefully statistics will be in my favor! After transplanting the seedlings I'm hoping for a 50% survival rate!

And Muddy, thanks for the explanations. I had no idea insects were that big of an issue.

They aren't always but the potential is always there. I grew in the same remote spot for 5 years. First two, no issues at all. Third year a few spider mites and a deer ate half of one plant, 4th year were the ones they hit very hard, fifth year was a drought. After that I gave up. Too much work for too little return. A friend used that spot last year and the choppers got his plants.

My recommendation would be to start your plants indoors and transplant when they have 4-5 good sets of true leaves. Start putting them outdoors a few days before, a few hours each day, increasing it each day. That will greatly increase their chance of survival.

The areas I guerrilla in are infested with ants and spiders, bad for me "I hate spiders", but they both eat any spidermites that get on the plants other places in the area that do not have as many spiders always leave the plants open for mites, so I spray the plants with neem

its possible but your probably gona need more than one patch to be safe, also while your there you might as well do everything you can and take as much time on your 1 visit, put down soil, give em a good watering to start, mix in some type of whatever you got to help retain water, lay out a shitload of 7dust, etc

i dont see why you cant go back at least once or twice though, could save your whole hgarvest with at least a few visits

Always a great idea to plant more than just one patch

Yea I decided in an effort to get better yields and have more survivors I'm scatter-plotting my plants across a few acres. I'll be finding my spots this weekend. This way, statistically speaking, my plants shouldn't run into the same problems. I'll also be able to check on them one time, at about day 20, to fix any problems, feed them, and make sure they're doing well. Seedlings go in the ground in a month. Seeds arrive soon. I'll be sure to post pictures and keep you guys updated. I'll probably be asking for help if I run into any problems as well. Thanks for all the help guys!

Back