New Grower About to buy! Any suggestions? Much love.

Sorry to bug you guys with the stupid stuff, but I'm a little stressed about this (trying hard not to botch my first grow!)... I've got 3x that popped today (paper towel method in distilled water). They are AK-47 seeds ready to go into the soil in probably 24 hours. So...

Seeds.jpg

@Slater @budelee @stepside @Waira

I've got 2x humidifiers going inside the 3x3x6 tent with the Vivosun 440cfm 6inch fan, it came with a pre-built dial on the cord, its turned down to its lowest setting. I took printer paper and wrapped around the carbon filter probably 75% of it to "slow down" the exhausting a bit (but I know this is only a dumb temporary solution at best) still can't get the humidity inside the tent above 40/45% even when spraying the walls...hanging towels...I spray the pots (they've been watered and prepped for the seedlings, brought up to temp). If I turn off the fan the RH can go up to whatever I set even just one of the humidifiers to.

When they are planted and sprout I can put domes on them and pop a small hole in the top to help.

So I guess my question is, do you guys think I can keep the fan completely off for the first week or so until the plant can handle RH around 50% (should start to warm up over the next few weeks, it's been obnoxiously cold and dry all of a sudden). I figure if the regular/outdoor humidity is like 20% and I can get it up to 40-45% then I should have no problems once spring peaks it's head in even to like 30-35%

Or do you think I should setup the fan on a timer to exhaust for a few minutes every couple of hours or something...?

My last ray of hope is an additional plug in dial for duct fans, I'm hoping that it will still function alongside the built in one and maybe I can dial it down a bit lower, the built in one doesn't seem to lower it all that much considering it still seems to pull my tent sides inwards even on low.

Sorry for the long ass post, I just want to raise and protect my little ones!

Guess I can tag the dude @Dudeski himself and the awesome @jingo ...you guys have always offered great wisdom to me and others thus far!

I use a fan controller that has a high idle speed a low idle speed and then a low temperature shut off. I adjusted so the low temperature shut off is right around the low temperature I desire. That way my fan shuts off for a little bit and allows my humidity to stay up during the winter. In the summer I won't be able to keep my humidity up those fans will be running a hundred percent or 30% there won't be any off-cycle at all.

It's okay to have your fan cycle off and on you just want to make sure you have enough air exchange for your plants. Once they get large they put enough humidity into the tent to where you can allow your fan to cycle higher lower or a hundred percent if that's what you want.

Sorry to bug you guys with the stupid stuff, but I'm a little stressed about this (trying hard not to botch my first grow!)... I've got 3x that popped today (paper towel method in distilled water). They are AK-47 seeds ready to go into the soil in probably 24 hours. So...

View attachment 710931

I've got 2x humidifiers going inside the 3x3x6 tent with the Vivosun 440cfm 6inch fan, it came with a pre-built dial on the cord, its turned down to its lowest setting. I took printer paper and wrapped around the carbon filter probably 75% of it to "slow down" the exhausting a bit (but I know this is only a dumb temporary solution at best) still can't get the humidity inside the tent above 40/45% even when spraying the walls...hanging towels...I spray the pots (they've been watered and prepped for the seedlings, brought up to temp). If I turn off the fan the RH can go up to whatever I set even just one of the humidifiers to.

When they are planted and sprout I can put domes on them and pop a small hole in the top to help.

So I guess my question is, do you guys think I can keep the fan completely off for the first week or so until the plant can handle RH around 50% (should start to warm up over the next few weeks, it's been obnoxiously cold and dry all of a sudden). I figure if the regular/outdoor humidity is like 20% and I can get it up to 40-45% then I should have no problems once spring peaks it's head in even to like 30-35%

Or do you think I should setup the fan on a timer to exhaust for a few minutes every couple of hours or something...?

My last ray of hope is an additional plug in dial for duct fans, I'm hoping that it will still function alongside the built in one and maybe I can dial it down a bit lower, the built in one doesn't seem to lower it all that much considering it still seems to pull my tent sides inwards even on low.

My bro..theres no questions we wont answer.. The info jingo offeres is spot on.. I open grow so experience with scrubbers and fan control is not a strong point for me.. What i do like to remind people is that,think about the adverse conditions they endure in a natural setting with temp and humidity swings and they survive.. We are just trying to stabilize and optimize .. but canna is a hardy plant and will survive a lot..

I use a fan controller that has a high idle speed a low idle speed and then a low temperature shut off. I adjusted so the low temperature shut off is right around the low temperature I desire. That way my fan shuts off for a little bit and allows my humidity to stay up during the winter. In the summer I won't be able to keep my humidity up those fans will be running a hundred percent or 30% there won't be any off-cycle at all.

It's okay to have your fan cycle off and on you just want to make sure you have enough air exchange for your plants. Once they get large they put enough humidity into the tent to where you can allow your fan to cycle higher lower or a hundred percent if that's what you want.

Makes sense, I can try something like that with an off/on for the fan to start out until the plant is a little more grown (assuming I don't kill it by then)

Also, do you mean during the summer you wont be able to keep the humidity down? Or are you saying, you can't keep it up because of summer heat you have to keep the fans going all the time and whatever the native RH is, is what the plants get sort of thing? Thanks.

My bro..theres no questions we wont answer.. The info jingo offeres is spot on.. I open grow so experience with scrubbers and fan control is not a strong point for me.. What i do like to remind people is that,think about the adverse conditions they endure in a natural setting with temp and humidity swings and they survive.. We are just trying to stabilize and optimize .. but canna is a hardy plant and will survive a lot..

So true man, I know I'm mostly just over stressing on this as you can tell by my my novel-length posts sometimes... you guys, AFN have been an incredible resource and friend.

Thanks for the support guys!

Oh and once the seeds are planted in the soil and god willing they live to pop their pretty heads out of the soil after a few days... I'll start a proper journal. I've been taking pics, video, time lapse with a webcam inside the tent, I'm logging all of this good stuff. So stoked now, thanks!

Also, do you mean during the summer you wont be able to keep the humidity down? Or are you saying, you can't keep it up because of summer heat you have to keep the fans going all the time and whatever the native RH is, is what the plants get sort of thing? Thanks.
Thanks for the support guys!

Yeah I meant keep it up. It will drop to about 35% during summer, but allot of people can't grow in summer at all.

Yeah I meant keep it up. It will drop to about 35% during summer, but allot of people can't grow in summer at all.

Oh wow, I thought it would have been easier due to summer humidity (around my area) being naturally quite high (60-80). But I guess for indoor growers and exhausting and all that, could def be hard to control.

View attachment 710931

Good morning dude, I wouldn't worry to much, get them lady's in the ground and just go with it. Once they are above ground, stick your domes on. Make sure the domes have air flow... I use a party cup with small hole in the top. Leave that on for about 3 days then take it off and start misting every 12 hrs or as often as you like...its a plant it will grow, it just prefers a slightly higher humidtiy at the younger stage but don't worry if you don't hit it that magic 60% ish, you will soon once the girls start growing and giving of moister back into their environment. I noticed an increase in humidity around week 3, now I've got the problem of having to remove it... Also try a large shallow dish of water at the bottom of the tent to slowly evaporate. It's not going to fix it but it will help add some.

Sent from mTalk

Back