Extraction 6 Ton DIY Rosin Press

@Mañ'O'Green having a little issue with plates. Set to 190f, but laser thermometer says in 80"s although they feel much hoter than the 80's. The non-contact side reads in the 130's. No sure which is wrong lol. How long should it take for plates to heat up? I didn't get any instructions with kit so not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Put heating elements in, and screwed them in. Turned to 190 and took temp. Raised to 250 and pressed some by standing on it and it worked. Maybe laser is bad lol.

I'm running a set of round plates about 4" in diameter. The setting for the controller has to be much higher than the target temp for the face of the plates in my experience. On my setup, I typically have to run with 'em set to about 550F to get the plates up to around the 250-270F range I like to press in. Takes about 15-30 minutes to warm up. Been a while since I really timed it, but I usually spend about 20-30 mins prepping my little packets for the press while it's warming up, and it's usually ready to go when I've got 'em done.

I think having to set the heaters much higher just has to do with the large amount of metal in the plates and what it takes to heat it all up. I imagine if you let things set for long enough (like over night or something) it might get the entire plate up to the same temp as the heating element, but I've never tried.

For what it's worth, I've read that sometimes the laser, IR thermometers can have trouble reading an accurate temp due to how reflective the metal plates typically are. Fortunately, mine came with a little instant read metal probe style thermometer, so I've not had to test it out with the IR temp gun.

dscn7034-jpg.618395

@Mañ'O'Green having a little issue with plates. Set to 190f, but laser thermometer says in 80"s although they feel much hoter than the 80's. The non-contact side reads in the 130's. No sure which is wrong lol. How long should it take for plates to heat up? I didn't get any instructions with kit so not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Put heating elements in, and screwed them in. Turned to 190 and took temp. Raised to 250 and pressed some by standing on it and it worked. Maybe laser is bad lol.

It takes at least 15 minutes to get up to temp.

A laser thermometer does not work on my plates - too shinny. I use a instant read thermometer. My plates are very accurate. There can be several reasons or causes of an inaccurate reading. What kind of plates did you get? Have you talked to the Manufacturer? What kind of controller came with it?

I built my own. The PID controllers I have can be programmed to compensate for variations in the sensors readings. I did not need to do this as the temps were right on from the start. You may be able to do this.

It takes at least 15 minutes to get up to temp.

A laser thermometer does not work on my plates - too shinny. I use a instant read thermometer. My plates are very accurate. There can be several reasons or causes of an inaccurate reading. What kind of plates did you get? Have you talked to the Manufacturer? What kind of controller came with it?

I built my own. The PID controllers I have can be programmed to compensate for variations in the sensors readings. I did not need to do this as the temps were right on from the start. You may be able to do this.
Oh, ok cause they seemed much hotter than what thermometer said. Not sure what a instant read thermometer is I'll will look that up. Here is the eBay description, I bought a double enail quarts drom them last week as well same company.

3x5" Fancier Rosin Press plates Double hole heating 6061 Aluminium plate temperature controller box with heating rod for rosin press plate

• High pressure– at least 500lb to 1,000lb ( 2+ tons preferred )

• Heat– 150°F to 350°F ( 200°F preferred )
1.Plug and play 3"x5" platen set up. We use 6061 aluminum because it is light, strong, and has excellent heat transfer, causing no hot spots!

2.Dual heated plates, both sharing a single heat zone.This is a tried, tested, and proven design with excellent results in hundreds of instances. We've tested both extensively, with no better yield or quality on the dual controller.

3.Made to fit any hydraulic press up to 20 tons with a 2" diameter ram or less.

Mounting our plates to your press of choice is as simple as tightening two set screws (hex keys included) onto the ram. Setup takes less than 5 minutes!

4.Reach your desired temperature in less than 10 minutes with our powerful 500w cartridge heating elements.

5.The Plates can pay for themselves within the first few hours of usage!

The plates being to shiny would explain why the dull side was reading better lol.

@Mañ'O'Green @MaxPowerGrows @briman @iampepe @Ash-a-Ton @Root I'm sure I forgot some but here is 1st press with GSC. 2 pucks .8 and .7 grams 190°f for 3mins. Looks overdone for sure lol. Not like other rosin with hair straightener but collected well 1 hot an I'm ripped. Well going back to the lab will report with results I get with Ripleys OG, GSC, LSD25, SODK, GG4, Grape Crinkle, Skywalker, Sour Bubblin Crack. Any times and temps you all can give to me that work or to be tested, please do. Ripleys yielded very well with straightener so I expect it to do even better!

20180102_114606.jpg
20180102_114623.jpg
20180102_114647.jpg

@Mañ'O'Green @MaxPowerGrows @briman @iampepe @Ash-a-Ton @Root I'm sure I forgot some but here is 1st press with GSC. 2 pucks .8 and .7 grams 190°f for 3mins. Looks overdone for sure lol. Not like other rosin with hair straightener but collected well 1 hot an I'm ripped. Well going back to the lab will report with results I get with Ripleys OG, GSC, LSD25, SODK, GG4, Grape Crinkle, Skywalker, Sour Bubblin Crack. Any times and temps you all can give to me that work or to be tested, please do. Ripleys yielded very well with straightener so I expect it to do even better!

View attachment 845897 View attachment 845898 View attachment 845899
@CaNNaDON420
Check this.

Damn fine lookin dabz there mcdee. Now go on and get me a big ol chunker ready ill heat the banger.

Oh, ok cause they seemed much hotter than what thermometer said. Not sure what a instant read thermometer is I'll will look that up. Here is the eBay description, I bought a double enail quarts drom them last week as well same company.

3x5" Fancier Rosin Press plates Double hole heating 6061 Aluminium plate temperature controller box with heating rod for rosin press plate

• High pressure– at least 500lb to 1,000lb ( 2+ tons preferred )

• Heat– 150°F to 350°F ( 200°F preferred )
1.Plug and play 3"x5" platen set up. We use 6061 aluminum because it is light, strong, and has excellent heat transfer, causing no hot spots!

2.Dual heated plates, both sharing a single heat zone.This is a tried, tested, and proven design with excellent results in hundreds of instances. We've tested both extensively, with no better yield or quality on the dual controller.

3.Made to fit any hydraulic press up to 20 tons with a 2" diameter ram or less.

Mounting our plates to your press of choice is as simple as tightening two set screws (hex keys included) onto the ram. Setup takes less than 5 minutes!

4.Reach your desired temperature in less than 10 minutes with our powerful 500w cartridge heating elements.

5.The Plates can pay for themselves within the first few hours of usage!

This is an instant read thermometer just pinch it lightly between the plates to get a reading.

View attachment 845897 View attachment 845898 View attachment 845899
If you look through this thread I talk a lot about temperatures. I usually press for 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. Older buds press darker due to the oxidation that has taken place regardless of the temperature. Fresh buds just barely cured @ 170°F for 3:00 minutes produced the lightest colored rosin I have made, very flavorful but really poor yield. I think chasing a light color is a waste of time and product - maybe once in a while for a vape product.

If you look through this thread I talk a lot about temperatures. I usually press for 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. Older buds press darker due to the oxidation that has taken place regardless of the temperature. Fresh buds just barely cured @ 170°F for 3:00 minutes produced the lightest colored rosin I have made, very flavorful but really poor yield. I think chasing a light color is a waste of time and product - maybe once in a while for a vape product.
Yep I saw those times, I should have worded better I meant new ones. I have made some of the fresh buds with low yield, but wow they taste goooooooood!

Back