1st Outdoor Container Grow (Six Shooter by FastBuds)

Where I’m at we will be seeing 100° temps sometime next month. This is an auto and my first try at an outside grow with an auto. Just trying to see if I can do it.

Day 19: Aerated some conditioned tap water PH’d to 6.5 with some Recharge and Molasses. Watered with 3 Qts of mix (5 gal fabric pot). Being outside there is more evaporation so will have to to keep an eye on the watering. Trying not to let the pot go entirely dry before watering. But don’t want to overwater either. Air temp: 84°, RH: 14%.

Day 21: A little overcast today. High today is supposed to get to 84º with humidity around 11%. Possible the low humidity is slowing down the growth. That along with the hours of full sunlight. I would think it would grow faster outdoors but what do I know. My 1st time with an outdoors auto. Leaving the stick in as it gets breezy in the afternoons and I don't want it to beat her to death.

6S Day 21 #1.jpeg

6S Day 21 #2.jpeg

Looks like some good branching starting to grow. But sure is slow.
6S Day 21 #3.jpeg

Last edited:
This might be a challenge. Living in Aridzona the temps are already starting to climb. This week in the lower 90's. But.... I'm still going to give it a shot.

I live in a rather hot & dry climate as well (central valley of Cali), summer temps regularly up around 95 to 105+ and humidity down around 10% to 15%. I've grown regular photo-period plants outdoors the past several years and they've done fine, pretty great actually. Granted it is a touch drier down there and the peaks/extremes of hottest days are a lil higher down there than here.

Hottest days my plants have been through was up around 109 to 112 for about 10 days (then down to a "normal" 99/100 lol). The edges of their leaves canoe'd up a bit during the peak of the days but they pulled through with out much issue.

Some shade cloth over the plants just during the most intense/hottest days probably wouldn't be a bad idea. It is something I've considered doing.

I'll be following along with your grow. I don't see many outdoor growers on here.

I'll be growing autos for my first time this year, and it'll be outdoors.

why you guys are starting outdoor so early?

This will be my first year growing autos, but when I've grown regular photo plants the past few years (from seed) I start em' outdoors around late March/early April. My climate is warm enough that time of year, so why not.....By the time June comes around they're packing on nearly 1ft of growth a week.

I know autos are a bit different of a story, since they flower so soon one would want to do so under the most sun light possible...but in my climate I easily do 3 crops/harvests of autos outdoors during our growing season (with some slight overlap between each grow). I imagine the plants started this early won't be as stellar as those started during the peak months of summer, but it'll still be pretty dank quality flower ripening up close to the summer solstice and it's just that much more herb one can grow. The outdoor growing season in my area is from about mid March to late October.

This is going to be my first time growing autos...I was planning on starting em' around the beginning of this month but I have lagged on getting seeds. I plan on (hoping) to have em' sowed & growing before the end of this month.

Day 24. Removed the bamboo stick and bent her over a bit for some LST. Noticed the top looks like it's in preflower as I can see some small white pistils. Hmmm, seems a little early to start flowering. Not many bud sites at this point. Probably because of the low humidity and not enough hours of sunlight. Oh, well. I just wanted to see if I could grow an auto outside here in Aridzona. It's all good. Will top dress with some fishbone meal at next watering in the next day or two for some added phosphorous. Temp: 84º, RH: 14%

6S Day 24 Preflower.jpeg

6S Day 24 Preflower 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Three days ago, Day 25, I top dressed with 5 tbls of Down To Earth Fishbone Meal. Very lightly watered, i.e., 1 qt. of water.

Today, Day 28, Week 4, Gave a good watering with about 1 gal. of conditioned tap water, ph'd to 6.2. Leaves started sagging a little after the watering so I'll take and post pics tomorrow. She is currently starting to flower.

Day 29. Bent the top of the plant down a bit more. Looking ok but the outdoor environment here apparently isn't conducive to a vigorous growth. Temp today is supposed to be 91 and the humidity is around 10%. Temps are supposed to drop to the mid 70's for a couple of days next week and by the end of the week we might see our first triple digit temp of the year. Night time temps are in the low to mid 60's.

Six Shooter Day 29 #1.jpeg

Six Shooter Day 29 #2.jpeg

Six Shooter Day 29 #3.jpeg

Day 37, Week 5. Still growing but slowly. Fed 1 gal of compost tea two days ago on day 35. Slight runoff and let her soak it up in about 10 minutes. Placed pot lifter underneath to continue with the some airflow underneath the pot. Was watering about once a week in veg but now looks like about every 4 to 5 days. Temps have been in the 90's with night time temps in the low 70's. Humidity really low at about 10%. Supposed to get our first 100˚ today. It's not that hot all day long. We hit the high temps around 3pm and then starts to cool down around 6pm. Not seeing any yellowing or brown spots on any leaves at this point. On my previous grows when I used NLS I was seeing issues at this point. I'm not using the NLS with this grow and so far so good. Hoping she makes it to finish with the hot outdoor environment. She's a runt but still going.

Six Shooter Day 37 1.jpeg

Six Shooter Day 37 2.jpeg

Six Shooter Day 37 3.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 39. Leaves drooping a bit and pot feels a little light. Watered with 1 gal. of conditioned tap water PH’d to 6.3. Now that she’s in flower she is drinking up the water faster. In veg, watered about 8 to 9 days. Just fed 4 days ago and needs water. Looks like I will be watering every 4 days or so. Being outside and the temps so warm, evaporation is a factor. Temp today is supposed to get to 95° and humidity at 26%. Supposed to hit 100° tomorrow.

Last edited:
are you going to try again after this?

Back