Grow Mediums Why cal mag in coco explained; links to site with lots of other great info!

Olderfart

DIY whenever possible, and sometimes when it isn't
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Various strains, via MCT oil tincture, gummies, dry flower vaping.
I don't know whether this has already been posted, but this is the best explanation of the cal mag issue in coco that I have run across. Since this forum will not allow me to paste the $%^#$%^address, you will have to find it by searching Maximum Yield Buffering Up. Go to the article on adjusting cation exchange found at the Maximum Yield website.

There is nothing completely new there, but the technical explanation of why coco needs special treatment regarding cal mag is by far the best I have seen.

Happy growing all.

:jointman: *** Edit: ed-joo-cay-shawn, mon! ...Always good and welcome: Buffering Up

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found this site very helpful as well for coco.

I'l
l'll second that. The Cocoforcannabis site has a lot of great information for anyone growing or intending to grow in coco. Should be required reading before making the plunge.

I don't know whether this has already been posted, but this is the best explanation of the cal mag issue in coco that I have run across. Since this forum will not allow me to paste the $%^#$%^address, you will have to find it by searching Maximum Yield Buffering Up. Go to the article on adjusting cation exchange found at the Maximum Yield website.

There is nothing completely new there, but the technical explanation of why coco needs special treatment regarding cal mag is by far the best I have seen.

Happy growing all.
:greencheck: :greenthumb: nice finds guys, thank you! .....It's late, so I'll read the links John posted later,...

Olderfart, I think the TOS rules are a little stiff or not well worded... Solid educational links are just fine, it's the advertising/spammy crap and links to other grow forums that are frowned upon,... I'll edit in the link in your post, and also add them to the Reference section.... I have in the past sent/linked to CANNAUSA's site, but their info is a scattered mess of articles last I saw. The Max'Yield one is concise enough good general Stoner reference for sure- :rofl:... BBL after I check that coco site out more,.....

:smoking: ... I had a quick read through of this place, and it's generally very good!
I will say these guys talk like soil haters though- :rofl: - and I feel they make some sweeping generalizations that are poorly concluded, leaving a lot of positive aspects out concerning soil and it's ease/flexibility of use as well,... :nono:
IMHO, coco is great if, and only if you follow the protocols properly; coco is not forgiving of misuse, as the patients in Sick Bay can testify to- :doh: :rofl:..... and it's still higher maintenance than true soil, something many don't realize until they are well into the grow....

:smoking: ... I had a quick read through of this place, and it's generally very good!
I will say these guys talk like soil haters though- :rofl: - and I feel they make some sweeping generalizations that are poorly concluded, leaving a lot of positive aspects out concerning soil and it ease/flexibility of use as well,... :nono:
IMHO, coco is great if, and only if you follow the protocols properly; coco is not forgiving of misuse, as the patients in Sick Bay can testify to- :doh: :rofl:..... and it's still higher maintenance than true soil, something many don't realize until they are well into the grow....
In my limited experience growing cannabis I have to agree. Good soil hard to beat except for pests.
Have grown vegetable and flower gardens most of my life but pot is a whole new thing. :greenthumb:

In my limited experience growing cannabis I have to agree. Good soil hard to beat except for pests.
Have grown vegetable and flower gardens most of my life but pot is a whole new thing. :greenthumb:
It was my war with fungus knats, mould, slugs, and a couple others that was a bit of a nuisance last summer. Crap weather didn't help, but may not have made a lot of difference. One of the attractions of coco for the current grow was its supposed lower interests to pests. If I could have got my mitts on ProMixHP Myco, I might have done that - it worked well with subirrigation last summer. No nute issues that I could see in spite of much looser treatment. It does fine in lots of grows on this site. It is soil less, but the amended peat version is quite a bit less fussy than coco. I tried coco in a couple containers as well last summer. Both survived and produced a bit of bud, but had nute issues, and never prospered. Not enough homework on my part. The fact that my current grow has not bombed yet is all down to information and help on this website, growweedeasy, and cocoforcannabis. The information is out there, but too many (including me last summer) dive in without understanding the special needs of the coco medium. Much closer to hydroponics, with a major twist in the cal mag department.

Off with my coffee to see what the new pup is up to. Likely needs a potty break, if I have'nt missed it already. Nope, not missed, and as my glasses unfog after the cold, not apparently needed either.

Last edited:
It was my war with fungus knats, mould, slugs, and a couple others that was a bit of a nuisance last summer. Crap weather didn't help, but may not have made a lot of difference. One of the attractions of coco for the current grow was its supposed lower interests to pests. If I could have got my mitts on ProMixHP Myco, I might have done that - it worked well with subirrigation last summer. No nute issues that I could see in spite of much looser treatment. It does fine in lots of grows on this site. It is soil less, but the amended peat version is quite a bit less fussy than coco. I tried coco in a couple containers as well last summer. Both survived and produced a bit of bud, but had nute issues, and never prospered. Not enough homework on my part. The fact that my current grow has not bombed yet is all down to information and help on this website, growweedeasy, and cocoforcannabis. The information is out there, but too many (including me last summer) dive in without understanding the special needs of the coco medium. Much closer to hydroponics, with a major twist in the cal mag department.

Off with my coffee to see what the new pup is up to. Likely needs a potty break, if I have'nt missed it already. Nope, not missed, and as my glasses unfog after the cold, not apparently needed either.
:smokeout:.... true, bad bag soil or home made/amended that's been infested with vermin (including single cell pathogens) is a drag! But coco is not immune or even resistant to most any of them, especially gnats. Those pests are so ubiquitous that's hard to avoid them... Some bag soil co's leave holes large enough for adults to get through, some others have wised up and made them smaller.... I don't clown around anymore with this, all soil used gets the Bt tea treatment! I like Summit Mosquito Bits for this; the bacterium persists in the soil for a while, usually 1-2 doses per grow see them taken care of- :amazon:... adults are little more than flying gonads, not a threat to the plants, just the root munching larvae,...
A couple coco-guru's that used to be here were just amazing with the results they got! It's from them that I learned a lot about it, and the need to because of my duties in the Infirmary... Aside from 1 32oz cup grow of it years ago, I've never run it, so I've had to learn by proxy of sorts!
I see some of these coco blends are getting more popular... I have used Tupur in the past for seedlings and cutting rich soils,... and of course, coco is a common ingredient in many soils. Royal Gold makes Tupur, but they now have a true soil in their otherwise mainly coco line-up, called King's Mix. This is very nice stuff, really light, and does have coco in it to facilitate this... low very fine particulates as well, when I made a slurry to test it's pH, I noticed how clear the solution was vs. other soils (heavier for sure)... Look into it and try a bag sometime, the auto's loved it!

Happy growing all.

:jointman: *** Edit: ed-joo-cay-shawn, mon! ...Always good and welcome: Buffering Up
:crying: I've never felt so stupid in all my life! I'll have to come back and try again when I'm not :baked:

This is a great read. Thanks for sharing this. Maximum Yield has been a great resource for me starting out growing in coco. Cocoforcannabis is a little biased and some of the notions a lil outdated perhaps but I agree it should be required reading before getting into coco growing. Maybe a bit more digestible than MYs articles, less technical jargon.

Back