Lighting What should be on a grow light review?

Son of Hobbes

High of the Tiger
Staff member
AFN Admin
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Website
www.autoflower.org
What information do you think grow light makers should include on their product descriptions for grow lights?

What is useful? What charts are useful to accompany the information?

Devil's advocate, what information can be skewed? What can be manipulated? How can that be verified?

PPF?
PPFD?
PAR?
WATTS?
Efficiency/Efficacy?
Spectrum?

I'm working on building out a new review template for grow lights on here and I'd like to know what people would like to see as a standard template.

Likewise, I simply would like to know what the community thinks about a standard for lighting companies to give us specs on.

What makes you NOT want to buy a grow light? What makes you go "ohh, more of THIS crap, no thanks?"

I really think we can start setting some standards as growers and demand that manufacturers start complying with the information.

What do you guys think? What should be on the list? What should be on the review?

1. T-5 florescent ,CFL.Lumen output at different distances,power draw from the wall,color spectrum in kelvins. 2. LED, PAR output,diode brand,spectrum graph,power draw,light foot print coverage,degree of lens.

1. T-5 florescent ,CFL.Lumen output at different distances,power draw from the wall,color spectrum in kelvins. 2. LED, PAR output,diode brand,spectrum graph,power draw,light foot print coverage,degree of lens.

I don't care what it says about you on the staff bathroom walls nammy.
I don't even care that I'm the one that WROTE all that stuff about you on the staff bathroom walls, nammy.

You're alright, man! :thumbsup:

I don't care what it says about you on the staff bathroom walls nammy.
I don't even care that I'm the one that WROTE all that stuff about you on the staff bathroom walls, nammy.

You're alright, man! :thumbsup:
Did you write in the ladies bathroom Nammy is also called the BIG UNIT.?:crying::crying: I don't no much about HPS or MH so somebody else maybe will chime in.

Last edited:
For LED's :

1) Watts draw at wall
2) Graph of PPFD vs distance to subject illuminated
3) PPFD footprint at distance to subject illuminated (VERTICAL distance ONLY)
4) Colour Temp (degrees Kelvin)
5) CRI
6) Spectrum
7) Cooling method (if any) and Db level (level vs distance)
8) Light spread angle, with or without reflectors

In addition to above, Ease of replacing bits, warranty and ease of claiming against warranty.

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

For LED's :

1) Watts draw at wall
2) Graph of PPFD vs distance to subject illuminated
3) PPFD footprint at distance to subject illuminated (VERTICAL distance ONLY)
4) Colour Temp (degrees Kelvin)
5) CRI
6) Spectrum
7) Cooling method (if any) and Db level (level vs distance)
8) Light spread angle, with or without reflectors
I second this !

Back