Outdoor Trailanimal 2022

This morning under the COB.......
P1140628.JPG

I remember I wanted to talk soil. Those folks that have watched my grows can skip this part :cooldance:
I live on the transition between tundra and riparian woodlands. A place of deep cold, big drifts, high wind, and intense sunlight. And, as far as a gardener would recognize, no soil. Been at this camp site for 12 years now. First two years building cabin and, solar, wind and water systems.
Then I went to work on soil, I began by going to the river bottom and hauling silt back to camp. Now, this ain't Lower Egypt before the big dam, where Nile silt could grow anything. I live where big mts dump rivers into the valley. So close we are, silt is ground rock, dust, dries and blows away. Zero organics, no humus. On my way hiking or fishing I would always stop on ponder this stuff. Thinking there must be lots of micro-nutes. 4wheeler and cart it to garden site. I start building humaure. This life style I'm the "waste" handler, water plant manager, power plant operator, fuel hauler. When we lived way up in the mts we used an outhouse. Being an organic gardener I wanted this stuff. But digging it out once a year was a shitty job. So when we moved to this new camp. I did not dig a hole. Using the honey bucket to daily add poop and pee to bulk compostables.
Over 10 yrs of seasonal compost additions have transformed dust to soil. This hasn't been easy for an impatient me, reaping the rewards now......
Up until last season I was fighting the compaction of wet dense silt squeezing the air out of the soil. So easy to over water. Last season I had no watering prob. Finally enough humus in the soil. Readily absorbs and holds water, and, a big And, it holds air. So, what once was a droopy over water is now a rush of growth.
Spring garden, lol.....
P1000885.JPG

Last edited:
This morning under the COB.......View attachment 1452688.

I remember I wanted to talk soil. Those folks that have watched my grows can skip this part :cooldance:
I live on the transition between tundra and riparian woodlands. A place of deep cold, big drifts, high wind, and intense sunlight. And, as far as a gardener would recognize, no soil. Been at this camp site for 12 years now. First two years building cabin and, solar, wind and water systems.
Then I went to work on soil, I began by going to the river bottom and hauling silt back to camp. Now, this ain't Lower Egypt before the big dam, where Nile silt could grow anything. I live where big mts dump rivers into the valley. So close we are, silt is ground rock, dust, dries and blows away. Zero organics, no humus. On my way hiking or fishing I would always stop on ponder this stuff. Thinking there must be lots of micro-nutes. 4wheeler and cart it to garden site. I start building humaure. This life style I'm the "waste" handler, water plant manager, power plan operator, fuel source. When we lived way up in the mts we used an outhouse. Being an organic gardener I wanted this stuff. But digging it out once a year was a shitty job. So when we moved to this new camp. I did not dig a hole. Using the honey bucket to daily add poop and pee to bulk compostables.
Over 10 yrs of seasonal compost additions have transformed dust to soil. This hasn't been easy for an impatient me, reaping the rewards now......
Up until last season I was fighting the compaction of wet dense silt squeezing the air out of the soil. So easy to over water. Last season I had no watering prob. Finally enough humus in the soil. Readily absorbs and holds water, and, a big And, it holds air. So, what once was a droopy over water is now a rush of growth.
Spring garden, lol.....View attachment 1452703
Understanding of soil biology 100 percent! :worship:Those of us with ready access to fertile soil and every hyped additive would be hard pressed to grow near as well!!:clapper:

@trailanimal Wow. Respect to you for growing at such a latitude and in a very difficult environment. I thought I had challenges at 56 degrees north in Europe, but 67? Phew! I have long summer days, but also cloud, wind, but not cold like you have.

I admire your incredible patience in building your own soil. Your own everything. Phenomenal.

Will be following to see how your season goes. Best of luck with the grow! :biggrin:

@trailanimal Wow. Respect to you for growing at such a latitude and in a very difficult environment. I thought I had challenges at 56 degrees north in Europe, but 67? Phew! I have long summer days, but also cloud, wind, but not cold like you have.

I admire your incredible patience in building your own soil. Your own everything. Phenomenal.

Will be following to see how your season goes. Best of luck with the grow! :biggrin:
Thanks for stopping by and checking us out :d5: :pass:

Back