Outdoor Trailanimal 2022

Winter has been long, cold, and deep. We are on the cusp of much warmer weather, we wait...
P1140452.JPG
P1140572.JPG

Every year I wonder if my soil will thaw in time.....
P1140519.JPG

My environment
Most of you probably know by now. For those that I haven't met yet......
P1140274.JPG
I live in NW Arctic AK interior, about 67N. I have about a 90D growing season with the aid of the greenhouse. Typical growing season has a lot of rain, overcast, and cold, especially in early Fall when buds wanna ripen:shrug:The window grow gives another month to some. I grow the biggest and slowest with this early start. About April 20th I'll plant 4 more 1 gallon pots. On or before June 1 trans to greenhouse into 10 and 7 gal fabric pots.Plants can stay in greenhouse to around Sept 10, stretching the season. Although by this time things have really slowed. Sun is noticeably lower and weaker daily. Every year there is a freeze while I'm still trying to grow, usually in Aug. Last year down to 24f. Maturing plants can weather this but really slows shit when you want fast, lol. For one, sometimes 2 weeks in July "night" temps stay in the low 50s. Otherwise 40s and 30s. A July night here is so different from the temperate zone. Doesn't even get close to dark. Sola rides the horizons, never going overhead, spends most of her time angling right into the eyes. The atmosphere close to the poles is thinner, more intense radiation. The greenhouse will get 11 hours direct high intensity bombardment when Sola shines. The greenhouse is on the South side of the cabin. Even though it will not get dark, Sola lowers to the north, goes behind mountains and casts a shadow all the way to the base of the mountains 10 miles to the south. For about 4 hours this is our "night", lol. Plants that move from greenhouse to outback will get at least 14 hours direct. If it's a good growing season, maybe one in four, the outback plants will grow really fast, keeping pace with indoor grows with all the advantages. Otherwise, a typical season will be painfully slow with lots of overcast and rain. The garden beds are about 6' to 8' in front of the greenhouse and get at least 12hr direct. And on a good year will grow very large and productive autos. On a normal year, much smaller, much less produce. Even with all the challenges I'll get good meds on a crap year. I really like looking all world class with huge drippers, but up here 'Earth and the Great Weather' holding all the cards. Just trying to do me best with what I'm dealt.
Next wordfest.......Soil.......

Last edited:
Love watching your threads and grows. Plus the scenery is amazing!

Need to ask though, with such a short growing season, why not use a tent and lights?

Back