Mephisto Genetics The Mephisto Genetics Project Thread!

Hi Mitch what makes canna plants have so many fingers on their leaves? is it genetics?
It's not very often I see this.

thanks. .

You piqued my interest about blade numbers Elvis and wondered what Jorge Cervantes had to say about it, here are some of his thoughts.

"Normally leaves grow three blades and progress to five blades when they enter the vegetative stage.
Depending upon growth conditions, they develop leaves with seven, nine and even eleven blades during vegetative growth. When flowering growth patterns change substantially.
Stems elongate and leaves grow progressively fewer blades as the branches containing the flowering buds develop.
Leaves with 9 blades are normal for plants that are strong healthy and growing well. The number of “fingers” on your leaves means they are growing well." Jorge Cervantes.

Sometime plants can have up to 11 or 13 blades and I have even heard of 15 blade leaves but maybe this is just the stuff of legend or urban myth.

You piqued my interest about blade numbers Elvis and wondered what Jorge Cervantes had to say about it, here are some of his thoughts.

"Normally leaves grow three blades and progress to five blades when they enter the vegetative stage.
Depending upon growth conditions, they develop leaves with seven, nine and even eleven blades during vegetative growth. When flowering growth patterns change substantially.
Stems elongate and leaves grow progressively fewer blades as the branches containing the flowering buds develop.
Leaves with 9 blades are normal for plants that are strong healthy and growing well. The number of “fingers” on your leaves means they are growing well." Jorge Cervantes.

Sometime plants can have up to 11 or 13 blades and I have even heard of 15 blade leaves but maybe this is just the stuff of legend or urban myth.

very interesting.. I think Jorge is the best grower in the world.. His utube videos are unreal!
it seems kinda rare and thats why I ask.. thanks man..:Cool bud:

Hi Mitch what makes canna plants have so many fingers on their leaves? is it genetics?
It's not very often I see this.

thanks. .

It's not very often you see what sorry?

Well, if you watch the complete cycle of a canna plant, you see the numbers of leaflets increase, (leaflets as they are compound, not a single leaf) with each node at first, they are odd, 1,3,5,7,9,11,13. (unless you have a mutant throwing some freaky leaves) Then throughout flower the numbers of leaflets decrease until it's just one single leaf coming out of your bud.

It is mostly genetics, for example it is said.. that a pure indica will have 7 leaflets (fingers) but.. i've seen landrace and very high % indica plants that can have 9, but hybridised plants will often have 9-11 whereas sativas can have up to 13 thin leaflets on the biggest leaves.
Think of that as a loose rule of thumb but not a definitive conclusion.
It can be a sign of maturity, but also a general indication of how happy your plant is.

If you've revegged a plant before you'll see it put's out some very simple but 'strange' , non-typical leaf profiles for awhile until it begins to grow normally again.

For me, I look more at the shape of the leaves/leaflets, the serations and how they differ, colour can be an indication as well.

Hey people,

Just a quick update, the 2015/16 F1 projects are doing well!

the room has had several updates, we improved the air in, however that than led to temps being too cold, really this room for the size needs another 3 lights at least, but then that would require remedial electrical work.. which isn't possible now.
Lights and plants have been moved closer together which will help temporarily.

A fair few have shown their sex already and will be transplanted in a few days, but day 1 of flower for all will commence tomorrow.

Here's a couple of pics..

All..
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture410707-image.jpg

Sour C x Grape Stomper OG
mephisto-albums-thread-pics-3-picture410706-image.jpg

Plants are compact, but most are starting to bush out nicely, when males are removed there'll be a decent amount of space left for them to grow out into.

Cheers!

Looking lovely, friend! Your room shots are always so beautiful and healthy!

I always think *could be much better!*, but thanks chap!

Don't stop thinking that way...it's what got you to this point so something must be working ;)

Even if it's grossly inaccurate. :)

Hey Mitch, do you have in plans maybe to make auto version of Super Silver Haze from Mr. Nice ?
Actually i would like to see anything from Shanti cuz his stuff is legendary but my choice would be SSH :)

Btw, cant wait to finish with moving to new house so i can grow your genetics, everything i saw so far is incredible! Keep up the good work bro :cool:

Hey Mitch, do you have in plans maybe to make auto version of Super Silver Haze from Mr. Nice ?
Actually i would like to see anything from Shanti cuz his stuff is legendary but my choice would be SSH :)

Btw, cant wait to finish with moving to new house so i can grow your genetics, everything i saw so far is incredible! Keep up the good work bro :cool:

Thanks man!
I would love to work with something from mr nice seeds, had my eye on mango haze for awhile, but I already have so many projects in mind, it could be some years before I get around to it.
Cheers :)

Reactions: Rus
Mango haze is awesome, its like SSH but with mango flavor, i totally forgot about that.Maybe the best weed i tried. I'll start a petition to make you work on mango haze asap haha :smoke:

All the best dude :)

Reactions: Rus
Back