Outdoor The 55th North Parellel

Indeed (all good points), all of my give away seeds have been to friends that just need that small incentive (like having seeds) to replace the occasional tomato plant with a bit of DIY supply and the satisfaction that can bring. This also ofc means that I get to sample their produce (cough).

Joining in a bit late, but I'm looking forward to this. I thought we might be neighbours, but then I saw the reference to farmers planting crops and realised we weren't. How long do you think it will be before everybody has some Clydesdale Ryder or such like in their gardens and greenhouses, perhaps with a few magnificent specimens displayed at the flower shows and harvest festivals?

The 'eager' girl

While some seeds swell up while thinking about cracking and then leisurely meander to the surface there always seems an eager little beaver which bolts up. This year the award falls to Mephisto's Tooth Decay which was out of the soil in 3 days and showing it's first leaflets a few hours later. Time to think about potting.

0164.JPG

Potting Time

Pots for the indoor grow are 11L in Capacity – that's 2.3 Imperial Gallons or 2.9 American Gallons if you happen live over that side of the world. The pots are perhaps a bit small but I haven't yet found a larger pot that wasn't also taller. We'll just have to see how it goes/grows. The smaller pots you will see later are for the plants that are going to be transplanted outdoors.

Soil Mix

As an outdoor grower I would normally make up my own potting mix using garden compost and added nutrients mixed with ground soil (more on this later), but I'd be concerned about introducing pests into an indoor environment given the 'organic' nature of the garden compost I use. Adding a pre-mixed compost to an order for lighting tipped me into the free shipping bracket, effectively giving me the compost for free, so in a departure from what I normally do I'm trying a pre-made soil mix. Plagron Bat-Mix, with the only additive being some Volcanic Rock Dust (for no other reason than I have a whole sack to use up and that it can't do any harm!).

The Mephisto Tooth Decay seems happy enough :weed:

Attachments

• 0165.JPG
    0165.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 0166.JPG
    0166.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 0167.JPG
    0167.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 96
  • 0168.JPG
    0168.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 126
  • 0169.JPG
    0169.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 113
Potting Time

Pots for the indoor grow are 11L in Capacity – that's 2.3 Imperial Gallons or 2.9 American Gallons if you happen live over that side of the world. The pots are perhaps a bit small but I haven't yet found a larger pot that wasn't also taller. We'll just have to see how it goes/grows. The smaller pots you will see later are for the plants that are going to be transplanted outdoors.

Soil Mix

As an outdoor grower I would normally make up my own potting mix using garden compost and added nutrients mixed with ground soil (more on this later), but I'd be concerned about introducing pests into an indoor environment given the 'organic' nature of the garden compost I use. Adding a pre-mixed compost to an order for lighting tipped me into the free shipping bracket, effectively giving me the compost for free, so in a departure from what I normally do I'm trying a pre-made soil mix. Plagron Bat-Mix, with the only additive being some Volcanic Rock Dust (for no other reason than I have a whole sack to use up and that it can't do any harm!).

The Mephisto Tooth Decay seems happy enough :weed:
3 gal in my greenhouse grow the larger strains 40"-50", smaller strains 30"

Been mostly growing for stealth but have a few this year that are described as 'larger' - will be interesting to see if they reach potential or get stunted by the weather conditions. Will post a full update this weekend. My cabinet isn't quite performing as expected so it's getting upgraded fans and some lighting changes next week to help reduce the temps (tho in saying that it was hotter in the coldframe today than in the starter cabinet - but only because I forgot to take the lid off).

It's hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest thing is my cabinet. I could cook things in there.

So the starter cabinet isn't performing as expected…The main problem is temperature which with all the pots in it soared from 29 to 34 deg C.

Why?

I ran all the lights and fans after building it and it topped out at 29C, I can only guess that the compost is absorbing the light more than the empty cabinet (though my rudimentary physics would have suggested that all those photons would get converted to heat at some point within the cabinet anyway – and that any evaporation from the soil would have reduced temps as energy was used-up for evaporation, and there's a lot of that going on as I have small trays with capillary matting which are just acting as evaporators trying to keep up the relative humidity - they \are going thru about a litre of water per day just to hold RH at about 30-35%.

Hey ho, so it's not quite working out as planned and I've had to switch off one of the 125W CFLs to keep the temps down to a more comfortable 28-29C. This has cut the available illuminated space in half. So the cabinet at the moment is running 1x125W and 3x30W cool spectrum bulbs which have two pots under them (these are the Mephisto's which were intended to be my indoor grow anyway).

So no space at the moment for my outdoor babies :( Back to what I usually do for the outdoor's and that's plant pots on a south facing windowsill before they go out to the coldframe (lets just prey for lots of nice sunny weather).

The growbox is getting upgrades to fans and lighting which should shave a bit off the temps while increasing the lumen's (swapping out the CFLs for LEDs). We live and learn as they say. I'll post an updated link to the cabinet grow once I've switched from the CFLs to LEDs for anyone that's interested but this grow-log is really about the outdoors grow and at the moment I'm not sure if they will be returning to the cabinet or not.

Failures and....

I had my doubts due to the small size of the seeds but the first of the Duurty Magic from Dragon Meds Team failed to germinate, well that's not strictly true – having done an exploration of the Jiffy Plug the seed cracked and produced a 1mm tail before stalling. I've covered it back over but expect nothing more from this one. I still have two more Duurty Magic's (both equally small), and have put one of these into soak for 24hrs to see if it cracks.

0170.JPG 0171.JPG

The Duurty Magic compared to some other beans.

... Footballing Casualties

While potting up the Super Stinky I dropped the plug, which sods law in a fumbled attempt to catch it (we've all done this before but probably not with a canna seedling) – almost caught it in one hand – then almost in the other – will try and break it's fall with my foot - oops kicked it across the room where it bounced across the floor ripping it out of the compost and snapping the tap root (sigh).

So the current line-up now looks like :
  • Toof Decay – Mephisto - OK (indoor grow)
  • Sour Hound – Mephisto - OK (indoor grow)

0180.jpg 0179.jpg

• 1 Duurty Magic - Dragon Meds Team - Germinated but not broken soil… FAIL?
  • 1 Dark Devil - Sweet Seeds OK
  • 1 Jock Horror - Nirvana OK
  • 1 Super Stinky - Short Stuff X – killed in action scoring an epic own goal
  • 1Himalya Blue Diesel - Short Stuff OK
  • 1 Quick One - Royal Queen Seeds OK

0172.JPG 0173.JPG 0174.JPG 0175.JPG 0176.jpg

So have put another Stinky Stuff and a White Widow in to the cabinet to germ as replacements (I'm really not holding out on the Duurty Magic's but will give it my best shot).

Replacements/additions :
  • 1x White Widow - Jiffy Plug
  • 1x Super Stinky – Jiffy Plug
  • 1x Duurty Magic (currently soaking in water)

0177.jpg 0178.jpg

So that's where we're at. The weather this week was unseasonably kind - so I even managed to get a lot of my compost sorted out for the garden site (that's where these babies will be headed). Will post more on that later.

semi-rough start, I hate when the shit starts rolling downhill and all my recovery efforts just make it roll faster, lol. Keep planting bro

Back