Outdoor The 55th North Parellel

Well who would have thought a routine hospital check-up could turn into a calamity. My arm ended up the size of my thigh and all construction was postponed for a week until I could feel it again.

The Growbox
(55cm W x 100cm L x 110cm H) – wooden frame with screw'd n glued plywood panels.

2 x 125W CFL with reflectors – these are fitted with the warm spectrum for flowering stage. I may purchase some cool veg'ing bulbs if finances allow but went with the warmer spectrum in the hope of taking a couple of plants to completion indoors later on. There are also 4 x 30W cool CFLs that will help with the brief vegging stage.

Venting, light baffled open base vent, with a single ultra quiet 12V PC fan at the top for heat extraction. Later this exhaust vent will either be used in combination with a filter/fan assembly into the room or preferably vented directly outside.

View attachment 551613 View attachment 551614 View attachment 551615 View attachment 551616 View attachment 551617 View attachment 551618

I will add a small but decent circulation fan as well as I want these plants to develop strong stems from the outset so they won't flop at the first storm they encounter outdoors.

After a dry run with all the lights on it seems to top out at 28degC so should be perfect for growing... still have to finish making the door but will be starting off some beans tomorrow.
cool project, hope your arm is as good as your DIY skills

'The Girls Parade'.

Thanks to seed suppliers twice messing up orders I ended up with quite a few extra freebie seeds. I also have three Duurty Magic girls from Dragon Med Crew as part of last years AFN 'pumpkin carving contest', many thanks indeed (these are quite small beans but will try for two outdoor at different sites and the third as an indoor later in the year, assuming they all crack). Most of the Ryder crosses also came as freebies thanks to a Seedsman lucky dip competition.

So in no particular order we have :
  • 3 Duurty Magic - Dragon Meds Team
  • 1 Toof Decay – Mephisto
  • 1 Sour Hound - Mephisto
  • 3 Pakistan Ryder - World of Seeds
  • 3 Chronic Ryder – Seedsman
  • 3 Northern Automatic - Blimburn Seeds
  • 4 Dark Devil - Sweet Seeds
  • 5 Jock Horror (Sativa Dominant) - Nirvana
  • 2 Critical Plus - Dinafem
  • 5 Super Stinky – Short Stuff
  • 2 Himalya Blue Diesel - Short Stuff
  • 3 Auto White Widow - Seedsman
  • 3 Easy Ryder - Seedsman
  • 1 Quick One - Royal Queen Seeds
No point being a greedy puppy...I can't grow them all so I've started giving some away to a couple of newbies- 'Encourage Encouragement' as someone once said.

---
R.I.P - Howard Marks (Mr Nice)

First batch in the Hatchery

I've chosen some of the ones I'd like to see go to full completion without rot, and as some are borderline Super Auto's these will go in first to give them the longest possible season. I'll save some of the others and the Ryder crosses for the second batch.
  • The Mephistos (Tooth Decay and Sour Hound) << these are the ones I'd like to keep indoors...
And for outdoors on the first site we have :
  • 1 of the Duurty Magics from Dragon Meds Team
  • 1 Dark Devil
  • 1 Jock Horror
  • 1 Super Stinky
  • 1 Himalya Blue Diesel
0160.JPG 0162.JPG 0163.JPG

I used to start seeds between sheets of moist tissue but find there's not much difference in germination by going straight into Jiffy Pellets. These I put in a tray with a bit of capillary matting - by keeping this just moist I can ensure that the pellets stay damp without becoming waterlogged. Yer I know... if I knock over that tray I'm never going to know which one is which... life's a risk :D

Last edited:
hey SpliffScot, 66.5 here, early frost, August frost, fall mold and fungus season. Thinking strains like Sweet Skunk/Sweet Seeds, that grow tall thin and few leaves will help stave of rot. I'll be testing this outside the greenhouse this season, using 912's transplant suggestion, maybe on the ground instead of in, earth is cold up here

It's a tricky one that - mature plants will survive a quick frost - seedlings less so. There are a couple of things you can try to warm the soil - clear a patch where you want to plant and peg out a piece of black matting or something black (the larger the better) - do this weeks before you intend to plant. The sun will heat this up and can raise soil temps by a couple of degrees C compared to the surrounding area. Remember the ground is a huge heat reservoir - so keeping matting down around your plants can help at both ends of the season, I would avoid using polythene as any rainfall cant get directly to the roots.

It's also worth noting that a sudden really cold snap will freeze a pot above the ground far quicker than it would if it were in the ground and sucking what little heat there is from the soil around it. In saying that if the pot is above ground you can give it a blanket - a thick layer of bubble wrap or even straw/shredded paper in a bag as a wrap-around helps. Ground frosts (freezing air layer) tend to occur before more prolonged soil penetrating frosts so pots exposed will be more vulnerable unless protected.

Last edited:
'The Girls Parade'.

Thanks to seed suppliers twice messing up orders I ended up with quite a few extra freebie seeds. I also have three Duurty Magic girls from Dragon Med Crew as part of last years AFN 'pumpkin carving contest', many thanks indeed (these are quite small beans but will try for two outdoor at different sites and the third as an indoor later in the year, assuming they all crack). Most of the Ryder crosses also came as freebies thanks to a Seedsman lucky dip competition.

So in no particular order we have :
  • 3 Duurty Magic - Dragon Meds Team
  • 1 Toof Decay – Mephisto
  • 1 Sour Hound - Mephisto
  • 3 Pakistan Ryder - World of Seeds
  • 3 Chronic Ryder – Seedsman
  • 3 Northern Automatic - Blimburn Seeds
  • 4 Dark Devil - Sweet Seeds
  • 5 Jock Horror (Sativa Dominant) - Nirvana
  • 2 Critical Plus - Dinafem
  • 5 Super Stinky – Short Stuff
  • 2 Himalya Blue Diesel - Short Stuff
  • 3 Auto White Widow - Seedsman
  • 3 Easy Ryder - Seedsman
No point being a greedy puppy...I can't grow them all so I've started giving some away to a couple of newbies- 'Encourage Encouragement' as someone once said.

---
R.I.P - Howard Marks (Mr Nice)
always good to share seeds, part of the fun of growing

Back